EclipseLink 2.1.0 Release Notes
The EclipseLink 2.1 (Helios) release focuses on providing advanced persistence features for user of relational, XML and Web Services to expose extended persistence features that naturally extend the industry standards in these spaces.
- 1 EclipseLink 2.1.0 Release Notes
- 1.1 Download EclipseLink 2.1.0
- 1.2 New and Noteworthy
- 1.3 Known Issues
- 1.4 Resolved Issues
- 1.5 Deprecated Functionality
- 1.6 Removed Functionality
- 1.7 Retention Policy
- 1.8 Future Releases
New and Noteworthy
- Query inheritance hierarchies with casting using TREAT...AS. ...learn more
- Addition batch read modes using IN and EXISTS. ...learn more
- Use database functions in JPQL with FUNC. ...learn more
- More flexible JPQL support with extended grammar - (bugs) - Query Keys, ...
- Fetch, Load, Copy & Merge of partial entities using AttributeGroup. ... learn more
- Further optimization of multiple table writes to group INSERT/UPDATE
- eclipselink-orm.xml: Map JPA models using extended EclipseLink JPA mappings in XML ... learn more - (bugs)
- Dynamic Persistence: JPA without requiring Java classes. ... learn more
- New SAPNetWeaver_7_1_Platform Server Platform
- New SymfowarePlatform Database Platform
- OSGi JPA: Future compatibility for OSGi Enterprise specification for JPA as implemented in Gemini JPA Project.
- Store MOXy mappings in eclipselink-oxm.xml: JAXB without annotations. ... learn more
- Mapping Enhancements: @XmlPath, multi-dimensional arrays, untyped key based mappings
- Generate XSD from JAXB and MOXY's extended mappings
- Dynamic Persistence: XML Binding without Java classes. ...learn more
- Added support for EclipseLink SDO usage with WebSphere and JBoss
- Enhanced support for local helper contexts (including Java serialization for DataObjects associated with local helper contexts).
- Support DBWSBuilder-generated JAX-WS Provider on JRockit
- Support for Eclipse WTP Dynamic Web Project structure
Helios Projects leveraging EclipseLink
Within the Helios release there are other projects that either include EclipseLink or offer complementary functionality.
- Eclipse WTP Dali 3.2.0
- EclipseRT Jetty StarterKit Tutorial with EclipseLink
- Swordfish 0.10 - uses EclipseLink SDO
- JPA 2.0
- JAXB 2.2
- SDO 2.1.1
The following are known issues that have been identified as potentially effecting users of EclipseLink 2.1. For a list of all open bugs and enhancement requests please see the queries at EclipseLink/Bugs
|ElementCollection of Embeddable does not support AttribuiteChangeTracking||When using an element collecion of embeddables the underlying AggregateCollectionMapping does not support attribute change tracking. This will effect the use of AttributeGroup (CopyGroup and serialized FetchGroup).|
|EclipseLink JPA with OSGi||In order to use EclipseLink 2.1 OSGi, you must use the org.eclipse.persistence.jpa bundle included with this release. This bundle provides support for Gemini, the reference implementation for the OSGI Java EE integration specifica|
|RCP Development with MOXy|| There is a known dependency issue when building RCP applications using the |
The following bug queries can be used by find known issues with specific feature areas. They return bugs reported against 2.1.
In addition to the features highlighted in the New and Noteworthy section this release also includes a substantial number of bug fixes and enhancement requests.
- All Fixed Bugs and enhancement requests
Property Name Generation from Introspector.decapitalize
The decapitalize method will now leave the property name in uppercase if the first and second characters are uppercase. EclipseLink will use the property name as ID, as detailed in the specification.
Note that this may require a change in some JPQL. For example, if previously you had a method with an annotation such as getCCustomers that would previously have had a property named cCustomers, you will now need to use property CCustomers.
In EclipseLink 2.1 the following features/API have been deprecated. Please upgrade to the suggested alternatives to avoid issues in the future when these deprecated features/AIP might be removed.
|ObjectCopyPolicy||The ObjectCopyPolicy has been replaced with the CopyGroup. The full API from ObjectCopyPolicy is supported by CopyGroup requiring only a minor class name change in user code.|
|ObjectLevelReadQuery.addPartialAttribute||Partial attribute queries have been deprecated and replaced with the use of FetchGroup|
|ReadObjectQuery.selectionKey (Vector)||Replaced with the use of an object for single part keys and a CacheId for composite keys. The replacement API is: ReadObjectQuery#selectionId.|
|BasicMap, BasicCollection, CollectionTable||Deprecated in 2.0, these native mappings and supported configuration annotations are now supported by JPA 2.0's ElementCollection mapping and supported configuration annotations and orm.xml.|
TODO: Was any previously deprecated functionality removed or any functionality that could not be deprecated first removed?
The EclipseLink 2.1 (Helios) release will remain available for download from the primary download page until the next release is shipped. At that point it will be moved to the previous releases where it remain for a minimum period of 2 years before becoming available for archival.
For more information about future planned EclipseLink releases and patch sets please refer to the releases section of the project summary.