Simple Example - student
The "student" example is intended to provide a simple example of using JPA-RS with a single entity persistence unit in a web application.
The following are the minimal requirements for this example.
- EclipseLink 2.4.2
- Eclipse Java EE IDE - Juno Release
- Git access to eclipselink examples git repository. The steps to connect to the repo can be found below.
- Glassfish 3.1.2
- REST client (Chrome Postman REST Client is used in this example, but you can use your favorite REST Client)
The following steps will be performed in setting up and running this example in your own environment
- Installation & Configuration
- Check out student example from GIT
- Database connectivity
- GlassFish - Datasource configuration
- Verify config
- Populate database
- Deploy web application
- Running the Example
- View metadata
- Create entity
- Update entity
- Query entity
- Delete entity
Installation and Configuration
1. Clone "examples" from git. The "student" example is stored under student folder.
3. Run createDDL.jdbc script under examples\student\student.model, populate database tables required for the student example.
4. Lauch eclipse. Select File->Import->Maven->Existing Maven Projects, hit next and point Root Directory to student folder. Hit finish.
5. Build the student project.
6.Configure a server. Click "new server wizard" link on the Servers tab.
7. Select GlassFish 3.1.2
8. Enter domain directory, admin name and password based on your installation and hit Finish.
9. Deploy student.web. Right click on the Glassfish (on Servers tab), select "student.web" in available resources list. Hit Add and Finish.
Now, you are ready to run the student example.
Running the Example
- Launch Chrome and Postman
- Get metadata: GET http://localhost:8080/student.web/persistence/v1.0/jpars_example_student/metadata
- Create a student with a course: POST http://localhost:8080/student.web/persistence/v1.0/jpars_example_student/entity/Student/ (with the following body as an example):
"name": "Jane Smith",
- Execute a named query: GET http://localhost:8080/student.web/persistence/v1.0/jpars_example_student/query/Student.findAll to execute named query findAll query as defined in the eclipselink.example.jpars.student.model.Student entity.
- Delete student: DELETE http://localhost:8080/student.web/persistence/v1.0/jpars_example_student/entity/Student/65