EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/GlassFishV3 Web Tutorial
- 1 EclipseLink JPA Deployed on GlassFish 3 using Eclipse 3.5
- 1.1 Tutorial Source
- 1.2 Development Environment
- 1.3 Prerequisites
- 1.4 EclipseLink Library Location
- 1.5 JPA Specification Library Location
- 1.6 Updating EclipseLink Bundles Shipped with GlassFish
- 1.7 Progress
- 1.8 Deploying a secure EAR on GlassFish
- 1.9 References
EclipseLink JPA Deployed on GlassFish 3 using Eclipse 3.5
- This tutorial's progress is on hold, it needs to be finished and significantly expanded - vote for EclipseLink bug# 308477 if you would like this work to be fast tracked and/or raised in the queue.
If you want to get a small web application running quickly on the GlassFish V3 application server using the Eclipse IDE, follow the instructions in this tutorial.
This basic example details how to use Eclipse to run/debug a minimum J2EE 5/6 web application servlet using EclipseLink JPA as the persistence provider. The goal of this example is to detail the minimum steps needed to run EclipseLink inside GlassFish V3 using the Eclipse IDE - at this point no presentation/controller layer such as JSF, Spring or Struts will be used beyond a basic HttpServlet so we can concentrate on the the integration layer JPA setup.
The DALI project was used to generate Entities from a schema with sequences already populated.
And the DDL generation J2SE JPA application used to populate the database schema.
This example will also run fine with any Database that EclipseLink supports.
Install Eclipse EE
- I installed a clean version of Eclipse 3.5 Galileo (June 2009)
Install a Database
- In this example I am the included JavaDB that is part of GlassFish V3, the table schemas have already been created manually and all entity java classes have been generated using the Eclipse DALI tool.
- Do not use V3 TP2 - use the V3 Prelude release instead.
- The following issues were quickly solved within a 24h timeframe when posted to the GlassFish Forum
- http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=46886&tstart=0 GF3tp2 domain1 fails to start out of the box - JDK 1.7 collision and no proxy set
- http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=46886&tstart=0 GlassFish V3 SNAPSHOT Server Plugin for Eclipse 3.4 jar problems with TP2 - use the Prelude Plugin
Install Glassfish Tools Bundle for Eclipse
- The following link will get you a fully configured Eclipse 3.5.1 workspace with a server configuration to Glassfish V3
Install Eclipse GlassFish Server Plugin
- Currently the "Download additional server adapters" link on the "New Server" dialog will not work with Eclipse 3.5 - Use the "Help | Install New Software" menu instead via the https://ajax.dev.java.net/eclipse/site.xml update site to get version 32+ of the plugin that is compatible with Galileo.
- You may refer to the details of Eclipse Bug # 280365.
- Currently we get
- cannot Deploy org.eclipse.persistence.example.jpa.server.glassfishv3.EnterpriseEAR
Deployment Error for module: org.eclipse.persistence.example.jpa.server.glassfishv3.EnterpriseEAR: Exception while deploying the app : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Application [org.eclipse.persistence.example.jpa.server.glassfishv3.EnterpriseEAR] contains no valid components%%%EOL%%%
EclipseLink Library Location
- The EclipseLink modules ship as 5 separate jars in the standard modules directory (Note EclipseLink SDO and JAXB are precluded by the libraries shipped with GlassFish - the milestone version is from the JPA 2.0 trunk branch.
- org.eclipse.persistence.oracle.jar (optional)
JPA Specification Library Location
- javax.persistence.jar ships with GlassFish in the standard modules directory.
Updating EclipseLink Bundles Shipped with GlassFish
- NetBeans 6.8.1M1 20090822 with an embedded GlassFish b58 is working fine.
- I am testing on NetBeans from now on and will investigate ant/eclipse deployment later
- All of deployment, JNDI setup, persistence.xml configuration, jpql query example - in progress ......
Deploying a secure EAR on GlassFish
- This section 20110112
- Download Eclipse 3.6 Helios EE edition
- Update the server plugins by adding the latest Oracle GlassFish Server Tools Plugin - GlassFish 3 OSS and Commercial will arrive with this one.
- "Download additional server adapters" link on the top right of the define a new server dialog
- Use Oracle GlassFish Server Tools - 1.6.1 version
- Download GlassFish 3.0.1 standalone EE server (not the one in NetBeans) so we can create a server in Eclipse
- Use the default derby datasource
- Create EAR application
- Deploy or drop EAR on server
- GlassFish V3.0.1 is running EclipseLink 2.0.1 SVN rev# 6600 from Feb 2010
[#|2011-01-13T12:03:09.049-0430|INFO|oracle-glassfish3.0.1|org.eclipse.persistence.session.file:/C:/opt/glassfishv301com/glassfish/domains/domain1/applications/org.eclipse.persistence.example.jpa.server.glassfishv3.EnterpriseEAR/org.eclipse.persistence.example.jpa.server.glassfishv3.EnterpriseEJB_jar/_enterprise|_ThreadID=29;_ThreadName=Thread-1;|EclipseLink, version: Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.0.1.v20100213-r6600|#]
- Browser results
- Now we will secure GlassFish