The (proposed) Incubation component of EclipseLink allows new functionality and prototypes to be developed in isolation of the shipped components and does not affect the regular build/test processes. Each incubation sub-component will exist on its own and will be developed in association with an open bug or enhancement request.
Current Incubation Sub-Components
|200045 Dynamic Persistence||dclarke||EclipseLink/Development/JPA/Dynamic||/svnroot/rt/org.eclipse.persistence/trunk/incubation/dynamic|
Incubation Process Guidelines
The development of incubation sub-components is intended to allow rapid innovation of ideas independent of the main development while still conforming to the Eclipse development and IP rules.
Creating a new Incubation Sub-Component
In order to create a new incubation sub-component the following steps should be followed:
- Open a bug or enhancement request for the proposed incubation work
- Send an email to the email@example.com mailing list proposing the bug for development in the incubation component
- At the next weekly committer meeting present the idea and seek approval
The creation and development of the sub-component should include the following:
- Create a WIKI for the work under: wiki.eclipse.org/Development/...
- Explain the work being developed
- Functional requirements and design
- How to download use and provide feedback
- Create a folder in the incubation component for the work /trunk/incubation/...
- Folder should contain a project and ANT build/package scripts (Note: These will only be executed manually)
- During development ensure all commits clearly indicate the incubation sub-component and bug #
- EXAMPLE: Incubation-Dynamic-200045: Added support for JPA eclispelink-orm.xml metadata processing
Promoting an Incubation Sub-Component
After the incubation work has reached maturity and the owning committer(s) wish to promote it into the product. This should be done under standard project development with other committers reviewing the requirements, design, implementation, and tests prior to committing.
Upon completion of moving an incubation sub-component into the main project components the incubation folders should be deleted in an SVN transaction and the wiki pages involved should be updated to reflect the completed state of the work.