EclipseLink 2.1: Enhanced FetchGroup Support
This feature will make major enhancements to EclipseLink's existing FetchGroup support to extends its use beyond lazy loading of basics to encompass full graph definition and usage with queries (including find), detach/copy, and merge.
- bug 244124: Add Nested FetchGroup support
The enhancement to FetchGroup support will include addressing the following requirements:
- Support defining FetchGroups that define what should be loaded including basic, embedded attributes, and relationships
- Default FetchGroup for an entity type is defined based on the fetch (lazy loading) configuration of the attributes. For default FetchGroup only the attributes on the entity class itself and those available through inheritance are included.
- Named FetchGroup can be defined using Annotations (@FetchGroup), eclipselink-orm.xml, and API (typically in customizer). Only one named FetchGroup of a given name can exist for an entity type. Note: They can be overridden in inheritance hierarchies using the same name.
- Dynamic FetchGroup can be specified to override
- FetchGroup can be used on any object-level query (ReadAllQuery, ObjectLevelReadQuery, JPA find)
- If a FetchGroup is specified on a query directly or through the application of a JPA query hint it will be used and applied to the query result
- If no FetchGroup is specified but a FetchGroup name is configured, either directly or through JAP query hint, then the named FetchGroup will be looked up through the descriptor and its parents hierarchy during query prepare and used if found. If not found an exception should be thrown
- If no FetchGroup of FetchGroup name is specified on a query then the default FetchGroup looked up through the entity type's descriptor hierarchy will be used.
- The FetchGroup specified, looked up by name, or looked up as default should not be cached in the query except during actual execution. This will allow FetchGroupManager changes to default and named FetchGroup to be used on subsequent query executions.
- NICE TO HAVE: Add support for specifying the FetchGroup to use on an entity result in a composite select query where one of the ReportQuery's ReportItem is an entity type. Note: This support should be offered for all query optimizations (i.e. BATCH).