< EclipseLink | Building
- 1 EclipseLink 64 Bit Development
- 1.1 Running EclipseLink on an XP Virtual Machine in Windows 7
- 1.2 Running 32 Bit Eclipse in 64 bit Windows
- 1.3 Windows Vista and Windows 7 64 Bit Development
- 1.4 Issues
- 1.5 References
EclipseLink 64 Bit Development
- This page details issues surrounding running EclipseLink in an Eclipse IDE environment on 64 bit OS platforms like Vista 64 or Linux 64.
- The following enhancement # 286004 tracks 64 bit issues and fixes to enable EclipseLink development on 64 bit Vista.
- Note: Eclipse 3.5 64-bit edition requires the use of a 64-bit JVM (it will not function with a 32-bit JVM)
Running EclipseLink on an XP Virtual Machine in Windows 7
- Running EclipseLink on an XP virtual machine will alllow you to bypass any issues surrounding Windows 7 and allow you to test configurations without disrupting your current OS setup.
- You will require the Professional or Ultimate versions.
Running 32 Bit Eclipse in 64 bit Windows
- To run 32 bit Eclipse 3.5 on 64 bit Windows Vista or 7 you need to install the 32 bit version of the JRE and reference it using the -vm flag in a shortcut to eclipse.exe as follows.
C:\eclipse35d32b\eclipse.exe -vm c:/jdk1.6.0_32bit/bin/java.exe
- I have run into 3 issues running the 64 bit version of Eclipse 3.5 in conjuction with the 64 bit version of the SUN 1.6 JRE and Ant.
- The context sensitive popup functionality is not working in Eclipse 3.5 SE edition - I cannot get the list of functions for a class or get autocompletion working. (The 32 bit version is ok)
- The 64 bit version of Eclipse 3.5 comes without EE enhancements - they must be added via smart update
- (Solved by 295381) I am starting to see issues with locking of the classes directory - If I do a full clean it is usually fixed but appears in several JPA projects intermittently. I am testing reverting back to the 32 bit version for now.
BUILD FAILED F:\view_w35b\build.xml:234: The following error occurred while executing this line: F:\view_w35b\jpa\org.eclipse.persistence.jpa\build.xml:124: Directory F:\view_w35b\jpa\org.eclipse.persistence.jpa\classes creation was not successful for an unknown reason Total time: 43 seconds F:\view_w35b>
Windows Vista and Windows 7 64 Bit Development
- This page in progress as of 11 Aug 2009
- Windows 7 64 bit was installed on 23 Oct 2009
- Get a 64 bit capable CPU (A Pentium IV 630 will do but we will be testing on an Intel Corei7 920)
- Get a lot of memory - like 12GB - (remember in a 64 bit OS - emulated 32 bit memory will be used twice as fast - so 8GB behaves like 4GB - I therefore recommend getting 64 bit versions of all software and
- 3GB if you are running a database on another machine
- 6GB if you run a database like Oracle 11 on the same development machine
- 8GB if you run both the Application Server and database on the same development machine
- Get SUN 1.6.0 64 Bit JVM
- Get Eclipse 3.5 64 Bit edition
- Get TortoiseSVN 64 Bit edition
282012: Core LRG requires increase to 2048MB heap during final XML processing
- The following screen capture of the core LRG testing illustrates how the heap dramatically increases during the final step of the ant tests where we create an XML report of the results - this is not related to heap recovery during GC processing.
295381: Ant requires a Command Prompt with run as Administrator security on Windows 7
- Problem: Running the EclipseLink build on a Windows 7 machine fails periodically with a classed dir creation build error.
BUILD FAILED F:\view_w35c\build.xml:275: The following error occurred while executing this line: F:\view_w35c\jpa\eclipselink.jpa.test\build.xml:256: Directory F:\view_w35c\jpa\eclipselink.jpa.test\classes creation was not successful for an unknown reason Total time: 2 minutes 6 seconds F:\view_w35c> BUILD FAILED F:\view_w35b\build.xml:234: The following error occurred while executing this line: F:\view_w35b\jpa\org.eclipse.persistence.jpa\build.xml:124: Directory F:\view_w35b\jpa\org.eclipse.persistence.jpa\classes creation was not successful for an unknown reason Total time: 43 seconds F:\view_w35b>
- Run the trunk>ant build on any of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit or Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- The choice of running Eclipse 3.5 32 or 64 bit does not help this issue.
- Fix: This is a security issue
- We are able to temporarily fix this by navigating to the parent directory, creating the same directory and deleting it.
- However, a permanent solution is the following (accept the UAC security check box if not running under UAC=0 level)
- Run all CMD prompts as "administrator" by checking the following box
- create a CMD shortcut to cmd.exe
- right click "Command Prompt" shortcut to get "properties
- goto "advanced" bottom right check box
- select "Run as Administrator"
- Eclipse 3.5 for Windows 64-bit OS download - thank you to LingPipe for helping find this.
- 1.1 Issue Post and here
- Eclipse 3.5 64-bit Test results
- SUN Java SE 1.6 64-bit for Vista 64 and Windows 7 64-bit editions