Some documents written and/or used by the PMC:
The Eclipse Project PMC has a weekly phone meeting every wednesday at 10.30am EST.
March 5, 2014 - John, Dani, Martin, Alex
- Dani: How to Avoid Spam in Gerrit - Bug in Bugzilla PMC bucket - consider offline
- Dani: Windows 8 Support
- Not listed in official plan
- No technical problem, but lack of resources - only 1 machine on the IBM team and that's a VM
- Add as supported Platform for Luna, or wait another year ?
- Most active development is on Linux and Windows 7 these days... agree with Dani that only active developer use helps finding real issues
- AI John: Send a note to eclipse-dev
- Reaching out to Community to find an active user would be sufficient ... WPF or Win32 ? WPF is only a runtime target environment as of today.
- Dani: State of GTK 3+
- Not yet fixed on Eclipse side, but GTK found a bug on their side that is going to be fixed; not yet sure though if that will fix everything
- Launcher now has a fallback to GTK2 if it detects the partially supported GTK3 version
- Good collaboration after an initial warm-up phase ... Eclipse SWT considered an important-enough client to make fixes for
- Alex: Concerned about users with a GTK 3.8 distro ... mixed situation ... on GTK 3.10, there are crashes as soon as trying to autocomplete in the browser
- On GTK 3.9 or newer, Launcher falls back to GTK 2 but that port is pretty much unmaintained, several other problems in there ... but not falling back is even worse
- Should be fine once distros start picking up paint / clipping issue fix (the not-drawing fix is still pending on SWT side)
- Alex: GTK 3 in Mars
- Bump minimum required version to only use cairo and get rid of older calls - this causes confusion with GTK folk
- RHEL 5 would no longer work
- Thanks to SWT now requiring Java 1.5, can simplify the code wrt JNI
February 26, 2014 - Alex, John, Martin, McQ
- John: Orion Release this week
- Alex: Eclipse on ARM64
- Launcher and swt at first
- Had ports for other architectures in source form in the past, risk to get stale but helps getting the ball rolling
- John: Quite a lot steps to make a new Platform real - constants in OSGi, ... - but can happen piecemeal eg only do SWT first
- Martin: Would make sense to document the required steps for adding a new Platform while doing the job
- At least, write up the TODO list - in order to make it easier the next time
- Should ask Tom Watson about OSGi constants
- Dani: Update on GTK 3+ issue - bug filed against GTK, working on a workaround for fallback but not yet finished
- Alex: Fix in GTK3 alone wouldn't work because SWT overrides GTK in that part
- McQ: If SWT API can't be implemented on top of new GTK API any more, discussion needs to happen
- If SWT does something wrong, would need pointers to what they should be doing instead...
- Maybe a couple phone calls to talk through the technical details
- Don't fight over things ... figure out what's the right thing to do, and just do it
February 19, 2014 - Dani, Alex, Martin, John
- Dani: Silenio to work on GTK issue?
- John: GTK testing at the Eclipse Foundation
- John: e4 ML discussion about graduating some tools
- Model Editor, CSS Editor, CSS Spy, ...
- Fairly late, but risk is rather low -- suggest putting into PDE
- Dani concerns: No PDE committers available for handholding - and stuff is not polished; even Lars sees it in Luna+1
- John: These tools would only be used by people building RCP apps
- Martin: What is the goal of trying to graduate?
- If it's just about getting more exposure, perhaps keep in incubation and add to the RCP EPP Package ?
- Alex would like adding new people / interested contributors to PDE
February 5, 2014 - McQ, Dani, Martin, Alex
- Dani: Confcall Numbers: Skype into the US tollfree; Alex use SIP
- Martin: Eclipse 4 vs Eclipse 3.x - will file defects
- Alex: Testing on modern Linux
January 22, 2014 - John, Dani, Alex, Martin
- John, Alex: New GTK 3.10 breaking Eclipse on latest Fedora
- Alex been looking at Browser
- Some Views not showing up - Silenio just back yesterday
- Dani: For 4.4m5 and 4.3.2, will document issues in the README
- Considered a fallback to "gtk2" support in the Launcher, but that was considered too risky
- Silenio might have a workaround ... OK if the new code can be added conditionally for GTK 3.10 only
- Dani: M5 Status
- Still many open bugs not triaged - component leads should triage earlier
January 15, 2014 - McQ, Andrew, Dani, Martin
- Dani: Lakshmi (SWT Team) going on maternity leave - SWT still a decent team of 4
- Andrew: PMC Participation - Suggestion
January 8, 2014 - Dani, Martin, Andrew, John, McQ
- Dani: API Freeze with M6 on March 7, but JDT cannot put Java 8 stuff in before (March 18) thus will have to ask for an exception