The Eclipse Project PMC has a weekly phone meeting every wednesday at 10.30am EST.
Mar 3, 2010: -
- Martin: Remove org.eclipse.update.configurator and related bundles from SDK? As per bug 304505 it makes Eclipse slow even when off.
Feb 24, 2010: - Dani, Martin, McQ
- Dani: Remove Java 7 support as a plan item due to (a) legal reasons and (b) Java 7 not being finished when Eclipse 3.6 ships
Feb 17, 2010: - Martin, Dani, John
- Martin: bug 196337 Pushing CDT Spawner into the Platform?
- John, Dani: Platform could only accept it when there is use for it in the SDK. Otherwise it would just bloat the Platform
- Recommended best practice: Keep Spawner living in CDT, but put it into a separate bundle such that it can be used by others out of Helios or other p2 Repos
- The Nexus Project, which was once meant to collect such micro functionality to be shared between projects was never successful. Similar requests (e.g. faceted projects) are consumed as individual bundles through p2 today, no matter in which project they have their home where they are developed.
- Martin: bug 301563 Fast project import from snapshot data - UI or not?
- John: Want some UI in the Platform in order to test it more easily, e.g. an export wizard
- John: Webkit
- Foundation is considering allowing LGPL for exempt prereqs, but not for works-with .. missing a policy for dealing with LGPL works-with
- John: Our original reason for marking works-with is that the SWT browser can use either Mozilla or WebKit. However our long term direction is WebKit-only due to brittleness of the Mozilla API which keeps breaking us. There is an increasing number of distros bundling these WebKit libraries so there is a reasonable chance going forward that the library will already be present on the user's machine.
- Martin: Exempt works-with (optional) prereq is perfectly fine for Webkit, since there is a chance it's already there on a Platform (similar to Mozilla)
- Classifying it as such makes most sense for Product builders, who look at the prereqs to understand what they need to bundle with their Eclipse based product.
- PMC agreed to reclassify these libraries as exempt pre-req.
Feb 10, 2010: - John, Dani, McQ
- We agreed to list WebKitGTK and libsoup 2.4 as works-with prerequisites
- We need to find consensus on bug 243582 (embedding source info in binaries)
- Discussed moving Ubuntu version on the plan from 9.04 to 10.04. It is too early to make this decision because release candidates of 10.04 are not yet available, but we will continue to monitor it and make the decision to move up (or not) later in the 3.6 cycle
Feb 03, 2010: - Dani, Martin
- Dani: bug 301563 - Fast project import from snapshot data
- Has the feature been verified to really return the expected performance gain? - Martin: Yes, Cisco reports 10 minute -> 5 seconds improvement by using the feature on project import on their view (65000 files)
- Is the feature valuable without Index contributions from JDT / CDT? - Martin: Yes, even "plain" projects benefit when there are linked resources pointing to web folders through RSE/EFS since they can be browsed immediately and refresh can be reduced to what's really needed. But most benefit is gained when there is also a shared index to be imported for immediate use.
- Dani proposed checkin into a branch for easier merge / review - Martin: Will start working with patches
- AI Martin: Contact Sharon regarding IP review (reserve a slot)
Jan 27, 2010: - John, Dani, McQ, Martin
- Dani: Markus Keller taking over JDT UI
- John: M6 Splashscreen for Eclipsecon: bug 297355
- McQ: Removing Builds - SWT needs Linux-Motif, so only WPF about to be removed
- In discussions with Microsoft, it turned out that WPF is not required to get full Windows 7 experience under Win32
- XAML for styling was meant to be a cool idea but never got flying
- Socialize people with this -- find whether people are inerested in contributing on this, if yes then we should support them
- Still working the IBM approval process for travelling to Eclipsecon
- Avoid merging major feature work after a milestone's Tuesday test pass
Jan 20, 2010: - John, Dani, McQ, Martin
- McQ: Contacted Steve N, still interested but unlikely to get more energy for investing into Eclipse
- John: 3.5.2 test pass tomorrow, but yesterday's I-build been a mess
- McQ: Message about supporting Open JDK in a blog ... status should be "nice that it works but it's not a reference platform"
Jan 13, 2010: - John, Dani, McQ, Martin
- McQ: U Manitoba students to help with technical communication (documentation, website, ...) for e4
- Dani: New way of contributing Capabilities for Helios... are we OK? - John: yes, Platform Capabilities are in the SDK feature
- FYI: Incubating projects are
- Martin: Documenting the Platforms we routinely test on
- Unittest / Perftest machines are know. When John updated the Reference Platform doc, he made sure that he knows at least one committer on each platform
- A poll to know what Platform(s) are actively used (by committers) on milestone granularity would be very helpful - John going to set that up
Jan 6, 2010: - John, Dani, McQ, Jeff
- Agreed on 3.5.2 freeze plan
- Note RC2 is a week earlier to avoid colliding with Helios M5 week
- Discussed Helios plan updates 2 bug 298200
- Update Java 7 plan item to indicate only working on publicly available bits. Some progress made on getting access to specs but going slowly.
- Update reference JRE's to latest version of each JRE
- Jeff will be away for next six weeks (vacation)
- McQ to contact Steve to see if he still wishes to remain on PMC