Difference between revisions of "Eclipse/PMC"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(Meeting Minutes)
(Meeting Minutes)
 
(115 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 11: Line 11:
  
 
= Meeting Minutes =
 
= Meeting Minutes =
'''August 15, 2012:''' - John, Dani, Andrew
+
'''April 16, 2014''' - Dani, Alex
* Do we support removal of bugzilla CLOSED state? Resolved: yes we do
+
* no topics today
* Discussion of long term release plans beyond Kepler
+
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
  
'''August 8, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, Andrew
+
'''April 9, 2014''' - Dani, Martin, Alex
* Dani: News from Jeff
+
* Dani - '''Kepler SR2 and Java 8'''
* McQ vacation from August 13 to August 31
+
** Planning Council: Can build and host the patches, but messaging must be clear as "SR2 with the patches applied". Still polishing words of the download pages.
 +
** Not added to aggregate repo ... one-time package without any updates
 +
** Feature patch available on Marketplace (for manual update) - for those starting from scratch they can now get "Kepler + Patch"
 +
** Not convinced that the extra downloads were necessary (early adopters already had the patch, new adopters can also get Luna) ... but current approach won't hurt.
  
<hr/>
+
* John - '''Hard to review all incoming Platform/UI Contributions'''
'''July 25, 2012:'''
+
** Dani tried to jump in on some issues like Icons
* '''CBI Build'''
+
** Doubt that some of the work will really help bringing committers on board (such as the for loop conversion)
** For SR1, the build can produce what the Release Train needs ... but not all the extra validation
+
** Some of the initial contributors of very simple things have now grown into contributing real interesting things
** Need to run both builds for now ... until the CBI team's bytecode verifier produces the same output
+
** Getting more people involved in initial reviews (currently some 10 active committers, 4-5 fullday ones) - but mainly Eric and Paul review patches
** CBI team continues to look at the list of diffs and improve their builder
+
** Platform team would be OK dropping the legacy build once the bytecode validator has no diffs
+
** Platform team can't commit more resources to CBI now (Paul Webster already heavily involved)
+
* '''Losing Commits on the Orion git repo'''
+
** Dozen commits or so
+
** Might be a defect in the Orion git tools, but the server side should prevent that !!!
+
** DenyNonFastForward should have protected ... need an extra layer of protection ?
+
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''June 27, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, John
 
* Eclipse Demo Camps - none in Ottawa
 
* Going to skip the arch calls for all of July - leave the PMC slot in place.
 
* Should keep an eye on the Community feedback for Eclipse 4
 
  
<hr/>
+
'''April 2, 2014''' - Dani, Alex, John, Martin
'''June 13, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, John
+
* Dani - new GTK3+ issues
 +
** crash/hang when SWT AWT bridge is used, also affects JavaFX ({{bug|431330}})
 +
** problems with main menu ({{bug|419830}})
 +
* Dani - '''Submitting the IP Log for the Java 8 Work'''
 +
** Currently not qualified as a "release", only submitting the IP log.
 +
* Dani - need to '''approve API changes for Java 8 in M7'''
 +
** No API changes, only additions
 +
** Used / tested by JDT Core / JDT UI
 +
** ObjectTeams (Stephan Herrmann) was involved
 +
** There were no objections i.e. changes were approved
 +
* John - '''SWT over JavaFX'''
 +
** EclipseCon: Steve Northover thought it was possible, just a lot of work
 +
** Decide after Luna whether hosting in SWT or doing as a separate project
 +
** Relationship to Tom Schindl's [http://www.eclipse.org/efxclipse/index.html e(fx)clipse project] ?
 +
*** e(fx)clipse is more about tooling, not so much about rendering ...
 +
*** Tom seems to have an alpha version, but not actively working on it
 +
*** Seem to need some additional API in SWT - patch sits in Gerrit with nobody putting any attention at the moment. Details in {{bug|426243}}
 +
*** Having this API in place would make the JavaFX port simpler
 +
**** It look good but Alex has no idea whether it's the best idea and how acceptable on all platforms
 +
**** John: May make sense in the next release, API can't be a near-term thing ... needs some backers who can invest significant time in it
 +
*** Doug Schaefer is also pushing for JavaFX
  
* Discussed the ECF rebuild request ({{bug|382206}}). Arguments in favor: it is a safe change, it reverts the situation to where it was in RC3 and earlier. Arguments against summarized in https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=382206#c20.
 
* We will need to tag the release but we can wait until we are officially done (week of June 25th).
 
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''June 6, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, John, Andrew
+
'''March 26, 2014''' - John, Dani, Martin, Alex
 
+
* John - '''EclipseCon Update'''
* Discussion of how to handle test failures for final build. Most of the remaining failures are infrastructure issues related to our move to Hudson for tests. We will document the failures through bugs, and include a note on the build results page for the final build explaining the failures
+
** Slightly smaller than in the past, but VERY of positive attitude, LOT of excitement around Java 8 ... Oracle turned on the servers during one of the morning sessions
* Discussion of whether we need a 3.9 release. Unanimous conclusion was that we do not see a need for it. Reducing to one stream will greatly reduce our development overhead and encourage consolidation around the single stream.
+
** IoT / M2M - lots of demos on Raspberry Pi, many new projects
* Discussion of how to handle the disappearance of org.eclipse.equinox.concurrent from our RC3 builds. This was never deliberately included in the platform, but was present due to a greedy optional dependency from ECF. By very close 3/2 decision PMC decided to leave it alone and document the disappearance in porting guide, readme file, release review material, and cross-project list.
+
** Very good content around Orion and Javascript, but a small crowd
 +
** Great opening keynote from Mike Milinkovich on the history and future of Eclipse - mentioned Flux
 +
** See also Blog Posts from [http://cdtdoug.ca/ Doug Schaefer] and [http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/author/irbull/ Ian Bull] as well as [https://www.eclipsecon.org/na2014/news/top-5-ian-bull top 5 from Ian]
 +
* John - '''ARM port of GTK''' - any tracking items ?
 +
** Bug exists for Launchers on ARM64 ; several other items too
 +
** IBM PPC Little Endian port of SWT
 +
** Test on less used architectures like Solaris? - similar to the Windows 8 case...
 +
** Donating RHEL subscriptions to the Foundation was not accepted - John: Bug is open for having Hudson slaves run on other architectures
 +
*** Example: {{bug|430698}}, {{bug|429237}}, {{bug|415757}}; {{bug|419855}} talks about running virtualbox images on a vserver
 +
*** Denis is investigating some way running Hudson / HIPP instances on other hardware ... GTK3, Windows etc tests need other hardware
 +
*** Check for cost of hardware, companies to donate it, and people to maintain it (Security patches!)
 +
**** Alex could imagine RH signing up for some maintenance ... test machines could be entirely outside Eclipse.org infrastructure, isolated as their own sandbox
 +
**** Hudson needs access though, thus need to be careful about security
 +
* Alex - '''Java 8 vs Java 7''' currently can't build an Eclipse SDK when the build machine has only one of the JDK's
 +
** In the past, it was possible to build with only Java 7 ... now, if I have Java 8 I cannot build (need Java 7 too)
 +
** ==> Update on March 27 by Dani: this is {{bug|390889}} and we'll try to fix it for M7.
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
 
+
'''March 19, 2014''' - Dani, Alex, Martin, McQ
'''May 23, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin
+
* McQ - '''Congrats on Java 8 Release''' to coincide with the Oracle release
* McQ: '''CBI / Tycho builder''': Paul Webster driving Platform efforts (AI Martin notify about {{bug|359719}})
+
* Dani - '''Windows 8 Support''' - any answer to John's E-Mail ?
* Martin: {{bug|380984}} ant / Orbit respin? - Unclear for now
+
** McQ struggles with calling it a supported platform when nobody tests it; all we need to make sure is that somebody uses it
* McQ: Finally figured out some long-standing bug eg "Variables view sometimes empty"
+
** Send note to Wayne, the epp-dev list and cross-project
** Dani: It's 2 issues: First-time switch to Perspective deferred to 4.2.1, but {{bug|379818}} is finally fixed
+
** Make it clear that running on Win8 is a useful contribution ... and we WON't put Win8 on supported platforms list if we don't get that confirmation
** The actual underlying defect had been in there for years
+
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''May 16, 2012:''' - McQ, John, Dani, Martin
+
'''March 12, 2014''' - Alex, Martin, McQ, John
* Dani: '''Version Number''' in branding features gets auto-generated and 3.8 version is now higher than 4.2 (since 3.8 build runs after 3.8)
+
* GTK - SWT team discussions
** John thinks it's not a big deal
+
* John - '''preparing for Java 8 release'''
* John: '''CBI Patches''' - CBI has lots of patches downstream in their POM's ... RC2 is the last chance getting that in
+
** Auto-generating the POM.XML would be nice but that's not how things work today
+
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''May 9, 2012:''' - McQ, John, Dani
+
'''March 5, 2014''' - John, Dani, Martin, Alex
* John: Classic update can still be enabled via capabilities - should we remove it?
+
* Dani: '''How to Avoid Spam in Gerrit''' - Bug in Bugzilla PMC bucket - consider offline
** Dani: in general "yes", but too late now
+
* Dani: '''Windows 8 Support'''
** McQ: too late, but make sure we do it for Kepler
+
** Not listed in official plan
 +
** No technical problem, but lack of resources - only 1 machine on the IBM team and that's a VM
 +
** Add as supported Platform for Luna, or wait another year ?
 +
** Most active development is on Linux and Windows 7 these days... agree with Dani that only active developer use helps finding real issues
 +
** AI John: Send a note to eclipse-dev
 +
*** Reaching out to Community to find an active user would be sufficient ... WPF or Win32 ? WPF is only a runtime target environment as of today.
 +
* Dani: '''State of GTK 3+'''
 +
** Not yet fixed on Eclipse side, but GTK found a bug on their side that is going to be fixed; not yet sure though if that will fix everything
 +
** Launcher now has a fallback to GTK2 if it detects the partially supported GTK3 version
 +
** Good collaboration after an initial warm-up phase ... Eclipse SWT considered an important-enough client to make fixes for
 +
** Alex: Concerned about users with a GTK 3.8 distro that update to GTK 3.10 and get the fallback to GTK 2 activated which has crashes with autocomplete in the browser
 +
** On GTK 3.9 or newer, Launcher falls back to GTK 2 but that port is pretty much unmaintained, several other problems in there ... but not falling back is even worse
 +
** Should be fine once distros start picking up paint / clipping issue fix (the not-drawing fix is still pending on SWT side)
 +
* Alex: '''GTK 3 in Mars'''
 +
** Bump minimum required version to only use cairo and get rid of older calls - this causes confusion with GTK folk
 +
** RHEL 5 would no longer work
 +
** Thanks to SWT now requiring Java 1.5, can simplify the code wrt JNI
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''May 2, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, Andrew, John
+
'''February 26, 2014''' - Alex, John, Martin, McQ
* John: '''Forking of SWT''' 3.8 and 4.2 are now separate Streams with CTabFolder implementation being the only difference
+
* John: '''Orion Release''' this week
* Dani: '''Icons''' (not discussed)
+
  
<hr/>
+
* Alex: '''Eclipse on ARM64'''
'''April 18, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, Andrew, John
+
** Launcher and swt at first
* Martin: [[E4/Scripting]] initiative
+
** Had ports for other architectures in source form in the past, risk to get stale but helps getting the ball rolling
** McQ thinks the E4 Application Model should be exposed as a DOM to scripting .. anything other than utilizing the e4 DOM for hiding a view feels wrong
+
** John: Quite a lot steps to make a new Platform real - constants in OSGi, ... - but can happen piecemeal eg only do SWT first
*** Martin: Approach is very pragmatic - don't see anybody investing into new Frameworks at this point but converging on what already exists
+
*** Martin: Would make sense to document the required steps for adding a new Platform while doing the job
*** If this goes towards macro recording, the recorder should utilize the e4 app model
+
*** At least, write up the TODO list - in order to make it easier the next time
** Signing up on the [https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/eclipse-scripting-dev eclipse-scripting-dev] mailing list will keep people in the loop (expect low volume)
+
** Should ask Tom Watson about OSGi constants
* Dani: '''API Approval Process''' Approval on Bug plus sent to eclipse-pmc list (like last year)
+
* John: '''PDE Committers''' - perception of not being open
+
** McQ would like to see a plan item for next year "actively promote more committers from outside"
+
* Martin: [[Asterisk]] - will need a dialin for Dani in Switzerland; '''AI Dani''' forward his dialin to Martin for the time being
+
  
<hr/>
+
* Dani: Update on '''GTK 3+ issue''' - bug filed against GTK, working on a workaround for fallback but not yet finished
'''April 11, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, Andrew, John
+
** Alex: Fix in GTK3 alone wouldn't work because SWT overrides GTK in that part
* Martin: '''LTS vs Quality/Fixes in Current Stream''' - Like John's reply making the link between the two
+
** McQ: If SWT API can't be implemented on top of new GTK API any more, discussion needs to happen
* McQ/John: '''Builds''' - Moving forward
+
*** If SWT does something wrong, would need pointers to what they should be doing instead...
* McQ: '''CBI Builds''' - Platform not going to take any ownership but will be a consumer like others - still shooting for Juno SR1
+
*** Maybe a couple phone calls to talk through the technical details
* Andrew: '''4.2 Builds in Fedora 17''' - Testing now
+
*** Don't fight over things ... figure out what's the right thing to do, and just do it
* McQ: '''IBM Ottawa Team moving to new building''' - expect delays during next couple days
+
  
<hr/>
 
'''April 4, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, Andrew
 
* Dani: '''VM Requirements''' - Help no longer works on Java 5, this surprised some people... but Project Plan talks about a Java 6 req now
 
** Martin suggestion: on the "Required JVM" table in the Project Plan, add a 2nd column with closure of BREE including all pre-reqs (continue having 1st column the BREE of the bundle itself auto-generated)
 
* Dani: '''Jeff still mentioned as PMC member'''
 
** '''AI Dani''' send E-Mail
 
* Martin: '''Concern about Platform Quality''' - eg SWT Redraws on 3.7.x - Old-time committers moving away
 
** McQ: Platform team's focus will continue being maintenance, and new Platform support ... team's capacity is going down, but SWT is not affected mosted
 
** Martin: Code contributions are easy, hi-quality triage and review are harder
 
** Martin: Re-think the idea of having committers paid by the Foundation and Member Companies paying their share
 
*** Example: Why would Pascal review p2 in his sparetime ... but if he gets paid per bug his experience can be extremely valuable
 
*** Be more creative on resourcing side
 
** McQ: In favor of putting more structure in place similar to LTS ("hire people for fixes") ... just continue with LTS ?
 
*** IBM will have a need for fixes for at least another 8 years .. but that's a very self-serving focus
 
** [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''AI Martin''' send E-Mail to Mike to keep the ball rolling
 
* Dani: {{bug|375292}} '''Reference to Marketplace in the SDK'''
 
** Martin: "Classic" is a Building Block but "Packages" are for end users
 
** McQ: The purity of the SDK in itself isn't relevant
 
*** Martin: Why not just create a new package "Classic" which is at +3 and pulls in egit + marketplace ... the process for building is all in place, may just need a package reviewer
 
*** [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''AI Martin''' mail Markus
 
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''March 21, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Andrew, Martin
+
'''February 19, 2014''' - Dani, Alex, Martin, John
* McQ '''Oracle Java on Mac'''
+
* Dani: '''Silenio to work on GTK issue?'''
* Dani '''denyNonFastForward'''
+
* John: '''GTK testing at the Eclipse Foundation'''
* McQ '''JDT Team might see some losses'''
+
* John: '''e4 ML discussion about graduating some tools'''
* Andrew '''Running OpenJDK tests now on ARM''' :)
+
** Model Editor, CSS Editor, CSS Spy, ...
 +
** Fairly late, but risk is rather low -- suggest putting into PDE
 +
** Dani concerns: No PDE committers available for handholding - and stuff is not polished; even Lars sees it in Luna+1
 +
** John: These tools would only be used by people building RCP apps
 +
** Martin: What is the goal of trying to graduate?
 +
*** If it's just about getting more exposure, perhaps keep in incubation and add to the RCP EPP Package ?
 +
** Alex would like adding new people / interested contributors to PDE
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''March 14, 2012:''' - McQ, Andrew, Dani, John
+
'''February 5, 2014''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, Alex
* Losing Eclipse project release engineer next week
+
* Dani: '''Confcall Numbers:''' Skype into the US tollfree; Alex use SIP
* David Williams is stepping in to help with our builds until Juno
+
* Martin: Eclipse 4 vs Eclipse 3.x - will file defects
* Most immediate issue is that our build needs elevated privileges to tag, sign, and promote builds
+
* Alex: Testing on modern Linux
** kmoir was the only committer with sufficient privileges
+
** We either need to give another committer sufficient rights, or give build user access it needs
+
** Could use hooks to ensure build user isn't doing anything other than tagging
+
** All agreed the build user approach was the best option. John to open bug against foundation to carry it out
+
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''March 7, 2012:''' - McQ, Andrew, Martin, John
+
'''January 22, 2014''' - John, Dani, Alex, Martin
* John: '''API Deletions''' {{bug|370248}} - PMC agrees.
+
* John, Alex: '''New GTK 3.10 breaking Eclipse on latest Fedora'''
* McQ: '''Common Build Infrastructure at the Foundation'''
+
** Alex been looking at Browser
** Shipping Platform Juno bits built by PDE ... but Foundation wants EPP packages built by Tycho; Platform can't support this
+
** Some Views not showing up - Silenio just back yesterday
*** Reason might be that 4.2 is planned to be the start of LTS and VLTS .. ok for now if LTS bits are different since not publicly available
+
** Dani: For 4.4m5 and 4.3.2, will document issues in the README
*** Plus, LTS really starts after Juno SR2 ... Platform might be in a better position for Tycho by then
+
*** Considered a fallback to "gtk2" support in the Launcher, but that was considered too risky
*** In Linux, Fedora also builds by themselves ... but assumption is that people come to Fedora support first
+
*** Silenio might have a workaround ... OK if the new code can be added conditionally for GTK 3.10 only
** Martin, Andrew really concerned about fragmentation and duplication of effort ... eg what if the qualifiers don't match
+
* Dani: '''M5 Status'''
** Should be treated as proof of concept but not publicly available until Juno SR2, in order to avoid fragmentation !
+
** Still many open bugs not triaged - component leads should triage earlier
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''February 29, 2012:''' - Dani, McQ, John, Martin, Andrew
+
'''January 15, 2014''' - McQ, Andrew, Dani, Martin
* John: Orion team received a box full of '''Black Ducks''' to honour their Black Duck Rookie of the Year award
+
* Dani: Lakshmi (SWT Team) going on maternity leave - SWT still a decent team of 4
* Dani: '''Gerrit Move'''
+
* Andrew: PMC Participation - Suggestion
** John: Important information needs to stay in Bugzilla ... don't pull from outside git exclusively
+
* Andrew: '''Platform Defect Contest'''
+
** McQ concern: Lots of duplicate bugs would take focus away from the team
+
** Martin: Could encourage triage as part of the contest, and only count good/new bugs
+
** John: Some low-hanging fruit bugs in Platform UI but not necessarily in 4.x ("helpwanted")
+
** John: Re-introduce the "greatbug" keyword ?
+
*** A greatbug is relevant, new, good description that helps understanding/finding the issue; ideally with a patch.
+
*** Resolution: '''AI John''' send note to Mike
+
* John: '''PDE API Moved'''
+
** Some internal, provisional API was migrated to full API in this release
+
** Someone from SAP (Dimitar Giormov) Asked adding back the provisional API such that they could support 2 versions of Eclipse with one codebase
+
** McQ: Would have helped them 4 years ago .. but at the moment don't have enough people
+
*** McQ: Question how pervasive their use of the old API is ... how much Reflection would they need to put int
+
*** One resolution could be OK but only if they provide all the patches
+
** This kind of duplication is error prone and adds a maintenance burden on the project
+
  
 
<hr/>
 
<hr/>
'''February 22, 2012:''' - Dani, McQ, John, Andrew
+
'''January 8, 2014''' - Dani, Martin, Andrew, John, McQ
* Repeat of PDE build discussion from last week. We decided to nominate John Arthorne as a committer so we at least have someone to accept community patches. We will revisit after Juno and perhaps do a larger restructuring
+
* Dani: '''API Freeze''' with M6 on March 7, but JDT cannot put Java 8 stuff in before (March 18) thus will have to ask for an exception
* Communication with eGit: We have written some patches for eGit that have been growing stale. Dani will review the patches, and then send an email to eGit lead asking if there is a particular reason for not accepting them. If there is no problem with the patches we will track down an eGit committer to release them.
+
* Andrew asked about process for approving CQs:
+
** Any PMC member can feel free to approve CQs
+
** New versions of existing third party libraries are a no-brainer, typically just +1 right away
+
** For new third party libraries we may need a PMC discussion about why the library is needed, what feature it will live in, etc
+
** For code contributions just make sure the legal process has been followed and then +1. We generally trust the judgement of the committer who will process the contribution.
+
 
+
<hr/>
+
'''February 15, 2012:''' - Dani, McQ, John
+
* Some discussion of what to do with PDE Build, which lacks committers. PDE as a whole has barely enough committers to be a functioning project, so maybe we should be looking at a larger restructuring after
+
Juno rather than one piece at a time. We lacked quorum to make a decision so we will defer discussion to another week.
+
 
+
 
+
<hr/>
+
'''February 8, 2012:''' - Dani, Martin, Andrew, McQ
+
* Andrew: Eclipse stand at '''FOSDEM in Brussles'''
+
** Lots of people just dropped by to say hi and thanks
+
** Mike Milinkovich was showing off Orion; Gunnar and Andrew did others (Web, EclipseRT, C/C++)
+
* McQ: '''4.2 Quality''' ... current list of defects looks manageable to tick all off .. any messaging we want to do ?
+
 
+
<hr/>
+
'''February 1, 2012:''' - Dani, Martin, John
+
* Dani: '''No UA Committers any more''' - move UA under Platform UI such that at least somebody can apply patches
+
** AI John check with Wayne ... UA is a subcomponent now, may not even need a move review.
+
* Dani: {{bug|343150}} git '''DenyNonFastForward'''
+
** Orion could eventually add tooling to support easy workflows in spite of deny on the repo ... but not in this release
+
** Ping on the bug again and proceed
+
* John: Decide when to switch 4.2 builds from re-using 3.x binary bundles vs full 4.x builds
+
** Today, the 4.x testsuite just tests 4.x specific stuff; things like JDT tests just run against 3.8 today
+
** Today, cannot generate Javadocs in 4.x today sine it needs the full source
+
** Today, nightlies are running 3.x only (could change to running 4.x nightlies only)
+
** Today, 3.x builds run at IBM and 4.x builds run at Eclipse.org
+
** Only few test failures left in the 4.x builds --&gt; ready to switch
+
** AI: '''Kim''' to send 4.x test results to the mailing list, consider switching right after M5
+
** '''Performance Tests:''' Not yet run on 4.x yet - should be able to run on Denis' vserver
+
*** IBM is going to lose the physical machines for performance tests in 2 weeks ! (Going to migrate to vserver too!)
+
*** Need a new baseline
+
** Andrew: at '''FOSSLC''' in Brussels this week, going to represent Eclipse with Mike Milinkovich, Gunnar Wagenknecht and others
+
* '''Gerrit''': Platform won't jump in as an early adopter this time, wait for other projects first
+
** Not all Platform Unittests can run on Hudson today (need at least some fingerprint tests to get value from Gerrit)
+
 
+
<hr/>
+
'''January 25, 2012:''' - McQ, John, Martin, Andrew, Dani
+
* McQ: '''Note about 4.2 on Release Train'''
+
* Andrew: '''Eclipse 4.2 for Fedora''' - Feature note written for Eclipse Juno led to some discussion at Eng.Steering Committee, but finally approved
+
* Dani: Team down by 1 but no impact (Dani is going to take over responsibilities)
+
* John: '''Build Failures in UA, Update, PDE, p2 yesterday''' after the move to Java 7... nobody watching these, need to find caretakers
+
** UA tests often fail due to a link validity checker, these can be caused by anyone
+
** Certificate Validity issue (Jar signing)
+
 
+
 
+
<hr/>
+
'''January 18, 2012:''' - McQ, John, Martin, Andrew, Dani
+
* McQ: '''4.2 quality''' and next steps
+
** More resources found to enable 4.2 as the LTS base - encouraging, although some items still missing
+
** Fedora 17 think about shipping 4.2m6 (work ongoing) - that would be a large stack on top of 4.2
+
** John: '''Oracle Java 7 as Reference Platform''' now that the most severe issues are fixed (Java 6 EOL is June 2012 !) - that is Oracle, not OpenJDK
+
*** Not remove Java 6 for now
+
*** Fedora also does all tests on 7
+
 
+
<hr/>
+
'''January 11, 2012:''' - McQ, John, Dani, Martin, Andrew
+
* McQ: '''State of Presentation API's'''
+
** Different API's in 4.2 and 3.x -- will need to deprecate API in 3.x
+
** Christian suggested deleting API that's not implemented in 4.x to get compile errors ... John thinks that binary compatibility is more important
+
*** Plugins will be "mostly OK", presentation API is cosmetic anyways
+
** McQ: get in touch with clients who use presentation API, telling them what's best to do ... often newer 4.x infrastructure is much better than trying to keep 3.x around forever
+
* Andrew: '''Cairo and GTK3'''
+
* John: '''4.2 compiling now'''
+
* Martin: '''Updated JSch-0.1.44 version''' - how to announce properly
+
** AI Martin Announce on eclipse-dev and cross-project
+
** Should also put into migrtion notes and README
+
 
+
<hr/>
+
'''January 4, 2012:''' - McQ, Dani, Martin, Andrew
+
* McQ: Pascal's note about p2 leadership .. not sure who could step in and make a commitment (may see the same fate as UA)
+
** Tom Watson looking for candidates, but looks like none in McQ's team
+
<hr/>
+
  
 
= Archive =
 
= Archive =
 +
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2013 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2013]]
 +
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2012 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2012]]
 
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2011 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2011]]
 
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2011 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2011]]
 
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2010 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2010]]
 
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2010 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2010]]
 
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2009 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2009]]
 
* [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes 2009 | Archive of Meeting Minutes from 2009]]

Latest revision as of 11:56, 16 April 2014

Contents

[edit] Documents

Some documents written and/or used by the PMC:

[edit] Meeting Schedule

The Eclipse Project PMC has a weekly phone meeting every wednesday at 10.30am EST.

[edit] Meeting Minutes

April 16, 2014 - Dani, Alex

  • no topics today

April 9, 2014 - Dani, Martin, Alex

  • Dani - Kepler SR2 and Java 8
    • Planning Council: Can build and host the patches, but messaging must be clear as "SR2 with the patches applied". Still polishing words of the download pages.
    • Not added to aggregate repo ... one-time package without any updates
    • Feature patch available on Marketplace (for manual update) - for those starting from scratch they can now get "Kepler + Patch"
    • Not convinced that the extra downloads were necessary (early adopters already had the patch, new adopters can also get Luna) ... but current approach won't hurt.
  • John - Hard to review all incoming Platform/UI Contributions
    • Dani tried to jump in on some issues like Icons
    • Doubt that some of the work will really help bringing committers on board (such as the for loop conversion)
    • Some of the initial contributors of very simple things have now grown into contributing real interesting things
    • Getting more people involved in initial reviews (currently some 10 active committers, 4-5 fullday ones) - but mainly Eric and Paul review patches

April 2, 2014 - Dani, Alex, John, Martin

  • Dani - new GTK3+ issues
    • crash/hang when SWT AWT bridge is used, also affects JavaFX (bug 431330)
    • problems with main menu (bug 419830)
  • Dani - Submitting the IP Log for the Java 8 Work
    • Currently not qualified as a "release", only submitting the IP log.
  • Dani - need to approve API changes for Java 8 in M7
    • No API changes, only additions
    • Used / tested by JDT Core / JDT UI
    • ObjectTeams (Stephan Herrmann) was involved
    • There were no objections i.e. changes were approved
  • John - SWT over JavaFX
    • EclipseCon: Steve Northover thought it was possible, just a lot of work
    • Decide after Luna whether hosting in SWT or doing as a separate project
    • Relationship to Tom Schindl's e(fx)clipse project ?
      • e(fx)clipse is more about tooling, not so much about rendering ...
      • Tom seems to have an alpha version, but not actively working on it
      • Seem to need some additional API in SWT - patch sits in Gerrit with nobody putting any attention at the moment. Details in bug 426243
      • Having this API in place would make the JavaFX port simpler
        • It look good but Alex has no idea whether it's the best idea and how acceptable on all platforms
        • John: May make sense in the next release, API can't be a near-term thing ... needs some backers who can invest significant time in it
      • Doug Schaefer is also pushing for JavaFX



March 26, 2014 - John, Dani, Martin, Alex

  • John - EclipseCon Update
    • Slightly smaller than in the past, but VERY of positive attitude, LOT of excitement around Java 8 ... Oracle turned on the servers during one of the morning sessions
    • IoT / M2M - lots of demos on Raspberry Pi, many new projects
    • Very good content around Orion and Javascript, but a small crowd
    • Great opening keynote from Mike Milinkovich on the history and future of Eclipse - mentioned Flux
    • See also Blog Posts from Doug Schaefer and Ian Bull as well as top 5 from Ian
  • John - ARM port of GTK - any tracking items ?
    • Bug exists for Launchers on ARM64 ; several other items too
    • IBM PPC Little Endian port of SWT
    • Test on less used architectures like Solaris? - similar to the Windows 8 case...
    • Donating RHEL subscriptions to the Foundation was not accepted - John: Bug is open for having Hudson slaves run on other architectures
      • Example: bug 430698, bug 429237, bug 415757; bug 419855 talks about running virtualbox images on a vserver
      • Denis is investigating some way running Hudson / HIPP instances on other hardware ... GTK3, Windows etc tests need other hardware
      • Check for cost of hardware, companies to donate it, and people to maintain it (Security patches!)
        • Alex could imagine RH signing up for some maintenance ... test machines could be entirely outside Eclipse.org infrastructure, isolated as their own sandbox
        • Hudson needs access though, thus need to be careful about security
  • Alex - Java 8 vs Java 7 currently can't build an Eclipse SDK when the build machine has only one of the JDK's
    • In the past, it was possible to build with only Java 7 ... now, if I have Java 8 I cannot build (need Java 7 too)
    • ==> Update on March 27 by Dani: this is bug 390889 and we'll try to fix it for M7.

March 19, 2014 - Dani, Alex, Martin, McQ

  • McQ - Congrats on Java 8 Release to coincide with the Oracle release
  • Dani - Windows 8 Support - any answer to John's E-Mail ?
    • McQ struggles with calling it a supported platform when nobody tests it; all we need to make sure is that somebody uses it
    • Send note to Wayne, the epp-dev list and cross-project
    • Make it clear that running on Win8 is a useful contribution ... and we WON't put Win8 on supported platforms list if we don't get that confirmation

March 12, 2014 - Alex, Martin, McQ, John

  • GTK - SWT team discussions
  • John - preparing for Java 8 release

March 5, 2014 - John, Dani, Martin, Alex

  • Dani: How to Avoid Spam in Gerrit - Bug in Bugzilla PMC bucket - consider offline
  • Dani: Windows 8 Support
    • Not listed in official plan
    • No technical problem, but lack of resources - only 1 machine on the IBM team and that's a VM
    • Add as supported Platform for Luna, or wait another year ?
    • Most active development is on Linux and Windows 7 these days... agree with Dani that only active developer use helps finding real issues
    • AI John: Send a note to eclipse-dev
      • Reaching out to Community to find an active user would be sufficient ... WPF or Win32 ? WPF is only a runtime target environment as of today.
  • Dani: State of GTK 3+
    • Not yet fixed on Eclipse side, but GTK found a bug on their side that is going to be fixed; not yet sure though if that will fix everything
    • Launcher now has a fallback to GTK2 if it detects the partially supported GTK3 version
    • Good collaboration after an initial warm-up phase ... Eclipse SWT considered an important-enough client to make fixes for
    • Alex: Concerned about users with a GTK 3.8 distro that update to GTK 3.10 and get the fallback to GTK 2 activated which has crashes with autocomplete in the browser
    • On GTK 3.9 or newer, Launcher falls back to GTK 2 but that port is pretty much unmaintained, several other problems in there ... but not falling back is even worse
    • Should be fine once distros start picking up paint / clipping issue fix (the not-drawing fix is still pending on SWT side)
  • Alex: GTK 3 in Mars
    • Bump minimum required version to only use cairo and get rid of older calls - this causes confusion with GTK folk
    • RHEL 5 would no longer work
    • Thanks to SWT now requiring Java 1.5, can simplify the code wrt JNI

February 26, 2014 - Alex, John, Martin, McQ

  • John: Orion Release this week
  • Alex: Eclipse on ARM64
    • Launcher and swt at first
    • Had ports for other architectures in source form in the past, risk to get stale but helps getting the ball rolling
    • John: Quite a lot steps to make a new Platform real - constants in OSGi, ... - but can happen piecemeal eg only do SWT first
      • Martin: Would make sense to document the required steps for adding a new Platform while doing the job
      • At least, write up the TODO list - in order to make it easier the next time
    • Should ask Tom Watson about OSGi constants
  • Dani: Update on GTK 3+ issue - bug filed against GTK, working on a workaround for fallback but not yet finished
    • Alex: Fix in GTK3 alone wouldn't work because SWT overrides GTK in that part
    • McQ: If SWT API can't be implemented on top of new GTK API any more, discussion needs to happen
      • If SWT does something wrong, would need pointers to what they should be doing instead...
      • Maybe a couple phone calls to talk through the technical details
      • Don't fight over things ... figure out what's the right thing to do, and just do it



February 19, 2014 - Dani, Alex, Martin, John

  • Dani: Silenio to work on GTK issue?
  • John: GTK testing at the Eclipse Foundation
  • John: e4 ML discussion about graduating some tools
    • Model Editor, CSS Editor, CSS Spy, ...
    • Fairly late, but risk is rather low -- suggest putting into PDE
    • Dani concerns: No PDE committers available for handholding - and stuff is not polished; even Lars sees it in Luna+1
    • John: These tools would only be used by people building RCP apps
    • Martin: What is the goal of trying to graduate?
      • If it's just about getting more exposure, perhaps keep in incubation and add to the RCP EPP Package ?
    • Alex would like adding new people / interested contributors to PDE

February 5, 2014 - McQ, Dani, Martin, Alex

  • Dani: Confcall Numbers: Skype into the US tollfree; Alex use SIP
  • Martin: Eclipse 4 vs Eclipse 3.x - will file defects
  • Alex: Testing on modern Linux

January 22, 2014 - John, Dani, Alex, Martin

  • John, Alex: New GTK 3.10 breaking Eclipse on latest Fedora
    • Alex been looking at Browser
    • Some Views not showing up - Silenio just back yesterday
    • Dani: For 4.4m5 and 4.3.2, will document issues in the README
      • Considered a fallback to "gtk2" support in the Launcher, but that was considered too risky
      • Silenio might have a workaround ... OK if the new code can be added conditionally for GTK 3.10 only
  • Dani: M5 Status
    • Still many open bugs not triaged - component leads should triage earlier

January 15, 2014 - McQ, Andrew, Dani, Martin

  • Dani: Lakshmi (SWT Team) going on maternity leave - SWT still a decent team of 4
  • Andrew: PMC Participation - Suggestion

January 8, 2014 - Dani, Martin, Andrew, John, McQ

  • Dani: API Freeze with M6 on March 7, but JDT cannot put Java 8 stuff in before (March 18) thus will have to ask for an exception

[edit] Archive