General Package Tests
Before starting Eclipse
- eclipse.ini: correct memory settings, any updates necessary?
- configuration/config.ini: correct product (eclipse.product)?
- plugins/org.eclipse.platform_*/plugin_customization.ini: correct default perspective (org.eclipse.ui/defaultPerspectiveId)?
- linux-packages: executable bits set on eclipse?
- Start the package with eclipse -consoleLog and watch the console for error messages.
- Try to start the package with a wrong JVM version, e.g. 1.4 - does it tell the user about the minimum required Java version?
- Does the package start with the correct perspective?
- Does it contain all necessary features?
- Are there any errors in the Update Manager dialogs (or comparable p2 dialogs)?
- If the package contains the PDE feature:
- Does any plugin view show any errors?
- Bundles that cannot be started?
- About Dialog:
- Does it show up with the correct version and build ID?
- Any suspicious entries in 'Feature Details' or 'Plug-in Details'?
- 'Configuration Details' - is the JVM running with the correct settings?
- Open the Preferences dialog. Does it show any suspicious entries?
- Create a new project and test it.
Individual Package Tests
- Create a 'Hello World' project
- Try to compile it.
- Try to run it.
- Create a simple Java project
- Create a HelloWorld class and run/debug it.
- Create a XML file and test the XML editor feature.