EMF Compare/User Guide
Installing EMF Compare
Using the bundled Eclipse marketplace client you can install EMF Compare in one click. Just type "emf compare", click on search, and then on install.
EMF has been part of the Eclipse release train since Galileo, you can install it using the following update sites, depending on your platform. Note that the following are not meant to be visited in your internet browser; they must be pasted in the Help > Install New Software dialog of your Eclipse, as p2 repositories.
http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo http://download.eclipse.org/releases/helios http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo http://download.eclipse.org/releases/juno
Please note that the EMF Compare development team does its best to maintain downward compatibility towards Galileo (Eclipse 3.5). Following is the compatibility chart :
|EMF Compare||Eclipse 3.2 - EMF 2.2||Eclipse 3.3 - EMF 2.3||Eclipse 3.4 - EMF 2.4||Eclipse 3.5 - EMF 2.5||Eclipse 3.6 - EMF 2.6||Eclipse 3.7 - EMF 2.7||Eclipse 3.8 - EMF 2.8|
An empty cell indicates that the compatibility hasn't been tested for a particular combination.
Once installed, you can compare your files (locally or from any Version Control System) as usual using the compare with menu.
The main points of interest are highlighted in the following picture :
- Overview of the differences detected between the given two (or three) models.
- First version of the compared models.
- Second version of the compared models.
- This button will only be visible in the case of three-way comparisons (for example, comparing with a remote repository). It will make a third version of the compared model (the common ancestor of the two others) visible in the interface.
- This button will allow you to group differences together in the structural view. For example, grouping all "Additions" or "Deletions" together.
- This button will allow you to filter some differences out of the view according to a set predicate. For example, filtering out all "Additions" or "Moves".
- Allows you to merge all non conflicting differences (left to right, or right to left) at once.
- Allows you to merge the single, currently selected difference in a given direction (left to right, or right to left).
- Allows you to navigate through the detected differences.
Text Attribute Comparison
Since the 1.2 release EMF compare provides the ability to compare models with graphical modelers.
Have a look on the following demos :
The Eclipse Platform logical model API allows to hook in all the workspace and team operations to adapt the user request. It enables, for instance, to add in a commit request new files which are required to keep model consistency.