|Mailing List • Forums • IRC|
|Browse Source • Project Set File|
Working with remote Repositories
Cloning remote Repositories
With the Git import wizard you can clone remote repositories using different protocols. You can additionally import existing eclipse projects into your workspace and share the projects with the Git team provider.
Start the import wizard by navigating to File -> Import... and choose "Git Repository".
On the first page of the wizard you can enter the location of the remote repository:
- URI - The complete URI of the remote repository or the path on the filesystem. This field is automatically synchronized with the other fields.
- Host - The name of the remote host or empty if cloning from the filesystem.
- Repository Path - Path to the remote repository or on the filesystem.
- Protocol - One of the protocols described below.
- Port - Http Port
- User - The username used for authentication.
- Password The password used for autentication.
The following protocols are supported:
- git - The fast, read only git protocol.
- git+ssh - Git over secure shell. Use this protocol if you want to push back to the repository.
- http - Read-only, working behind most firewalls.
- file - File system access to the repository.
On the next page you can choose which branch should be cloned from the remote repository:
You can define where you want to store the repository on your file system and already define some initial settings.
- Directory - The directory which will contain the Git repository. It will be created by the wizard if it does not yet exist.
- Initial branch - Choose here which local branch will be created and checked out.
- Remote name - Define a name for the remote repository. The default is "origin".
- Import projects after clone - If checked, the repository is searched for eclipse projects. In this case the finish button is disabled and the wizard continues with the project selection. If not checked, the finish button is enabled.
Note that if you press "Next" on this page the repository will be cloned by the wizard. This is necessary to find the eclipse projects. If you end the wizard with the "Cancel" button you will be asked if the clone chould be deleted.
The found projects are presented on the next page.
- Enable Git Team operations on imported projects - If this checkbox is selected the imported project are shared with the EGit Team provider. If it is not checked, the Team operations can still be enabled if you choose the project in eclipse and select Team -> Share Project...