EDT:How to add new EDT plugins
Revision as of 13:19, 25 August 2011 by Mheitz.us.ibm.com
To add a new EDT plugin, a committer should do the following.
- Be sure the new plugin's MANIFEST.MF is correct.
- There should be no warnings on the MANIFEST.MF file.
- The ID must begin with org.eclipse.edt.
- The Version must be of the form 0.7.0.qualifier (use the correct numbers for the release you're developing).
- The Provider must be Eclipse EGL Development Tools.
- The Execution Environment must be JavaSE-1.6.
- Specify your dependencies carefully.
- Don't require an exact version of a plugin without a very good reason.
- Be aware that the build may be done with an older version of Eclipse than you are using. For example, EDT 0.7.0 is built on Eclipse 3.6.0, even though the latest version of Eclipse 3.6 is 3.6.2. We do this so EDT will work on every Eclipse 3.6.x release.
- If the build fails with a "Missing required plug-in" error on your plugin, it probably depends on a plugin from a feature that's not included in the build. The features we require are listed in the featureIDsToInstall property in org.eclipse.edt.releng/build.properties. To learn which feature includes a plugin, go into your eclipse/features directory, and search the feature.xml files in all of the subdirectories for the name of the plugin you require. [Would somebody like to write a plugin to do this?]
- Plugin projects should not set their JDK Compliance.
- There should be no warnings on the plugin's build.properties file.
- Add the plugin project to our CVS repository. Do Team > Share Project > CVS and choose :extssh:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/tools. Choose Use Specified Module Name and enter org.eclipse.edt/folder/pluginName.
- If the folder in the previous step is new, update the project metadata. Go to https://dev.eclipse.org/portal/myfoundation/portal/portal.php, click view next to tools.edt, and click maintain next to Project Info Meta-data. Click edit and update the list under "source repository".
- Add the new plugin to the feature.xml of its feature.
- Make an entry in the map file (org.eclipse.edt.releng/maps/edt.map) for the new plugin.
- Do Team > Release to get the code into the next build.