SIP protocol & Provider Implementation for ECF under Eclipse Public License
Eclipse Communication Framework is consists of several messaging protocol such as XMPP, MSN, Yahoo & IRC. There are providers plugged in to the Eclipse for these protocols at the moment. But there is no successfully working SIP Provider for ECF yet. So the aim of this project is to integrate a successful SIP provider to ECF. During the project SIP protocol will be implemented under Eclipse public License as most of the existing SIP implementations are under GNU GPL or Commercial License which are incompatible with EPL.
There are 3 distinct stages in the project
- Research about the protocol and Studying it
- Protocol Implementation
- SIP Provider Implementation
The research on the protocol is planned to be carried out using the following methods :
- Online Material referring - In this forums posts, blogs and other documents such as RFC will be studied.
- Study the SIP messages - This task can be easily done using open source network protocol analyzers and packet analyzers as SIP is a text based protocol syntaxes such as HTTP. In this step SIP requests and reply messages will be examined.
- Studying existing SIP implementations - There are existing Java SIP implementations which are distributed under GNU GPL.
As all these are successful methods of studying the protocol, I'm planing to use them as necessary.
First, i will read the RFC and other online documents which describes about SIP protocol and its specifications. In this process i will be able to get a good idea about the protocol. So the next step will be examining the SIP messages which are been transfered between server and clients. This will be done by writing small simulators which are able to send requests and the reply will be examined using network protocol analyzers and packet analyzers.
As SIP protocol is quite complex, the protocol implementation will be carried out while studying the protocol. So the implementation will follow rapid development model.
Based on these observations i will be able to get an idea about protocol implementation. While developing I'm planing to simulate the requests using the simulators i have implemented to validate my implementations. So it will be easy to fix the bugs in my implementation as it is in the first phase.
After validating and verifying the implementation, i will start developing the SIP provider for ECF. In this task i'm planning to take existing provider as a model and to proceed in developing the SIP provider.
Scope of the Project
The must have items are as follows:
- ECF provider
- Yahoo protocol implementation with following features supported*:
- Login/ Logout
- Contact list (includes initial list receipt and updates)
- Add/Remove contacts
- Instant messages – send/receipt
- Chat rooms
- Proxy support – both HTTP and SOCKS
* These features will be implemented for both HTTP and direct connections. All the implemented features will have relevant documentation.
The following are optional and will be implemented if there’s time remaining:
- Typing notifications
- File transfer – both P2P and via-server
- Yahoo mail notifications
The following will not be implemented:
- Voice, Webcam and mobile chat.
- Games, Calendar and extra features.