Jump to: navigation, search

E4/Resources/Meeting/6-Mar-2009

< E4‎ | Resources‎ | Meeting
Revision as of 18:37, 9 March 2009 by Jamesblackburn+eclipse.gmail.com (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Meeting Title: E4 Resources meeting
Date & Time: Friday Mar 6, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 11am EST / 8am PST
Ical.gifiCal,Xml.gifATOM News Feed,Html.gifHTML
Canada and US Toll Free: (866) 740-7083
International Dial-in: +1 (702) 696-4217 (more numbers here)
Conference ID: 613 277 0037 #

Attendees

  • Call is Open, Anybody can join.
  • Signed up:
    • Wind River - Doug Schaefer, Martin Oberhuber
    • Freescale - Serge Beauchamp
    • IBM - Szymon Brandys, Chris Recoskie
    • Embarcadero - Kenn Hussey
    • Broadcom - James Blackburn


Agenda/Notes

Feel free to edit, but not during the meeting

Review of Action Items

  • Last Meeting: E4/Resources/Meeting/20-Feb-2009
  • Ok green.gif Martin have Google Calendar send a meeting invite for the next meeting - pending webmaster setup in mailing list admin interface
  • Ok green.gif Serge to blog about how to consume his resources changes from the e4 builds
  • Ok green.gif Serge to e-mail e4-dev about adding changes to more (UI) bundles in support of his resources changes
  • Open items moved to #Action Items

Discussion

  • Serge Groups: CDT doesn't work with e4 additions at the moment ... some things may need to wait until next CDT release
    • DND additions are only in the Resource Navigator, but not yet in Common Navigator / Project Explorer, leading to exceptions
    • Martin: JohnA already suggested bringing a clone of Common Navigator into e4 - AI Martin E-Mail John
    • CDT Interoperability: resource.getLocation() could return null with EFS before... only with Groups, this is much more common, so the code needs to be fixed anyways
      • Chris Recoskie agrees that there's still tons of getLocation() null problems in CDT
    • How would the indexer be impacted?
    • Works on Windows and Mac, serge hasn't tried Linux yet
    • Serge looked at some bugs filed by James Blackburn
  • James bug 253912 single IResource for multiple aliases, and Scheduling Rules
    • Martin thinks that multiple IResource for aliases is better since more flexible, but those aliases need to be better linked to each other
    • James agrees, but AliasManager must be improved -- problems with SchedulingRules and locking for instance
    • Some functionality is wrong with multiple IResource for alias, e.g. multiple Local History, multiple Team Support ...
    • Martin: what about multiple different team providers for a single file? E.g. project A with CVS, project B with SVN, both contain same file (as liked resource)
      • Doug, James don't think this is a valid use-case. Symlinks are different than aliases.
    • AliasManager to provide API to centralize things like local history...
    • Martin thinks that symbolic links are not so much different than linked resources, they are only persisted differently
    • "Deep Move" / "Deep Copy" of trees including linked resources is not what the user expects
    • James using git to cherry-pick between e3.5 / e4 / patches etc...
      • Martin had hoped that git could help re-basing e4 to the latest 3.5 milestones on every milestone
      • James managed to import e4 into his e3.5 git repo since initial commits (SHA1 hashes) were the same --> real fork point was shown
      • James has publicly accessible repo for tracking e3.5 and e4... creating the initial repository puts heavy load on the Eclipse servers... tracking branches need to stay clean... James runs cronjob every 12 hours... james uses this to bring serge's e4 patch
      • http://github.com/jamesblackburn
  • Szymon bug 253705 EFS for branched filesystems - under investigation, no new work done
    • AI Szymon add more info about the requirement on the bug
  • Chris: CDT profiling project model
    • Not really relevant to e4, was more specific for the cdt build model - no memory bottlenecks in platform resources found
  • James wants people CC'd to e4-resources inbox
    • Martin subscribed, Serge to subscribe

Action Items

  • (old) Martin create SearchCVS service for e4 resources - started on database, query missing AI mail e4-dev
  • (old) Martin send a proposal regarding experimental API tagging policy to the e4 mailing list - pending bug 261874 AC discussion about provisional API
  • (old) Doug document how users can get e4 resources (what's the required process and target platform)
  • (old) Ken put references to bugs which are interesting for him into the meeting notes
  • (old) Ken have somebody from Symbian Foundation comment on bug 249745 regarding their experiences with git and Mercurial
  • Szymon add background info on bug 253705 support for branched file systems
  • James create a Wiki page with simple instructions how to get git up and running as a committer
  • Ok green.gif Martin to ask on e4-dev for cloning CNF into e4 repository as soon as possible (John to do it?)
  • Martin to ask Ken Ryall about his action items
  • Ok green.gif Martin, Serge to CC on bugzilla e4.resources-inbox@eclipse.org (using bugzilla preferences)

Next Meeting