Jump to: navigation, search

E4/Resources/Meeting/17-Apr-2009

< E4‎ | Resources‎ | Meeting
Revision as of 11:43, 17 April 2009 by Doug.schaefer.windriver.com (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Meeting Title: E4 Resources meeting
Date & Time: Friday Apr 17, 2009 at 1500 UTC / 11am EDT / 8am PDT
Ical.gifiCal,Xml.gifATOM News Feed,Html.gifHTML
Canada and US Toll Free: (866) 740-7083
International Dial-in: +1 (702) 696-4217 (more numbers here)
Conference ID: 613 277 0037 #

Attendees

  • Doug Schaefer, Serge Beauchamp, Kenn Hussey, Szymon Brandys


Agenda/Notes

  • Not much new happened this week. Everyone has been busy on other things. A lot of people are busy working towards M7 of Galileo.
  • Had a great discussion on REST and what it would look like for resources.
    • Every resource is identified with URI
    • Use search to find resources that are interesting
    • But what do you do with the parent/child hierarchies and the project navigator?
      • The URI paths still represent structure like this, but no standard way to get list of children in REST
      • It's a new work flow, this structure is less important now that we have search
      • Doug after the meeting: We could derive the structure from the indexes driving the search to satisfy the curmudgeons
  • This led to an interesting discussion on a big missing piece of e4, the IDE
    • So focused on being more than an IDE at Eclipse that we're neglecting it
    • We should look at workflow improvements as part of e4.
    • Mylyn is doing to some really cool things, is there more of this we can do as part of e4?
  • Next meeting slot (1-May) is a public holiday in many countries, how to proceed?
    • We can have it anyway. My (Doug's) calendar is pretty full to move this to another day.

Review of Action Items

  • Last Meeting: E4/Resources/Meeting/3-Apr-2009
  • (old) Martin create SearchCVS service for e4 resources - started on database, query missing AI mail e4-dev
  • (old) Martin send a proposal regarding experimental API tagging policy to the e4 mailing list - pending bug 261874 AC discussion about provisional API
  • (old) Ken put references to bugs which are interesting for him into the meeting notes
  • (old) Ken have somebody from Symbian Foundation comment on bug 249745 regarding their experiences with git and Mercurial
  • Kenn to create bug for modeled resources
  • Martin to ping Chris Recoskie
  • Martin to create bug for RESTful resources discussions
  • Open items moved to #Action Items

Discussion

Current work items (master bugs)

  • bug 252647 - Master plan item for e4 flexible resources (referenced on e3.5 project plan)
    • bug 252996 - Serge: Resource Tree Filters - in e4 currently
    • bug 229633 - Serge: Linked resources with relative path / variable-based; grouping feature - in e4 currently
    • bug 245412 - Martin: Physically nested projects - many related bugs e.g. James Blackburn bug 253898 LaunchManager
    • bug 233939 - Martin: Alias Management for symlinks - James Blackburn filed bug 253912 common IResource for all aliases
    • bug 244979 - Martin: Lazy Refresh
    • bug 253705 - Szymon: Support for "branched" file systems (EFS for iSeries) - no coding yet but collected some iFS material
    • bug 255425 - Terry: Support for transactions when modifying ProjectDescription
    • bug 215261 - Chris: EFS logical/physical API

Additional items not (yet) linked off the master bug

  • Metadata: Sharing/Linking/Inheritance of project settings? Pluggable Project Persistence? What to do for Build stuff
  • Faceted Project Framework - Eric Frey been looking at it, looks very interesting on the surface, would like to see it in CDT
    • bug 102527 Project refactoring - add and remove project natures
  • Lightweight Resources: Terry Parker (tried TPTP now for profiling, now using JProfiler (slows down by 5-10x) - got pulled off into something else
  • Remote File System: Chris Recoskie (currently releasing PTP/RDT, will jump on e4 later, no news)
    • bug 253777 Support async programming patterns in Core
    • EFS Performance: tons of stat requests, should Resource layer do more caching or will we want a caching EFS implementation such as Hadoop DFS?
  • bug 198591 Allow builder to specify scheduling rule (builder to operate on a single project only, or run in parallel to other WS operations)
  • bug 263671 Project cloning and relocation capability
  • Workspace Concept Separation
    • John separate workspace from instance area bug - see bug 245399 comment 2
    • bug 245405 workspace description files for pushing workspace prefs to team members / facilitated on-boarding
    • bug 245399 multi-workspace

It looks like we're building things bottom up.

Action Items

Next Meeting