E4/Resources/Definitions of Terms
In order to be on the same page in E4 Resources development, we need to agree on a common definition of terms.
Feel free to edit, and watch this page for modifications until we can all agree on our definitions.
This page should be kept alphabetically sorted.
- A "Folder" in the Resource system, the contents of which is driven by the file system (minus resource filtering).
- In Eclipse 3.x, a Project is a non-overlapping portion in the file system, with persisted meta-data that help tooling ("natures") to interpret it and serve some purpose. In E4, we'd like to generalize this to a Resource Set, together with persistable meta-data that help tooling ("natures") to interpret it and serve some purpose.
- Resource Filter
- A filter being applied before nodes from the file system are actually entered into the Eclipse Resource model (Workspace).
- Resource Set
- Generalization of current Eclipse UI Working sets: A set of resources (Containers or Files or other Resource Sets) defined by enumeration or filtering patterns.
- A link (redirection) created either by the resource system (linked resource) or by the file system (symbolic link, or other kind of file system based link).
- From EFS, a reference to a folder (which can have files as children) or file (which can provide input and output streams) and have some attributes defined by the file system.
- Linked Resource
- A file or folder that is associated with a different file system sub-tree than its parent resource
- An annotation on a resource, consisting of a set of String, int, and boolean attributes. This is used to represent breakpoints, problems, tasks, search results, etc. Often, but not necessarily, a marker is associated with a particular line or region of a text file.
- Persistent Property
- A String attribute associated with a resource that is stored on disk and persists across sessions.
- A deleted resource that still resides in the resource tree as a place-holder for sync info
- A FileStore plus state information, maintained by the Resource System.
- Session Property
- A String attribute associated with a resource that is stored in memory and does not persist across sessions.
- Sync Info
- A byte attribute stored on a resource intended to store synchronization state between a local resource and some remote counterpart. Sync info is maintained even when a resource is deleted.