As part of the e4 project, we are working on making Eclipse an OpenSocial Gadgets container.
Install into Eclipse
The following should work with Eclipse 3.5 or a newer 3.6 milestone build:
- In a web browser, go to  and click on the link to the latest integration build, e.g. I20091022-2100.
- Find online p2 repo link (at the bottom right) and copy the link location to the clipboard.
- In Eclipse, select Help > Install New Software, and paste the link into the work with field. Press Enter. (Note: the IBM-internal mirror for this content is currently broken. Replace download.eclipse.org/e4 with www.eclipse.org/external/e4 to get it to work from inside IBM.)
- After the list of installable features is loaded, expand E4 UI and select Eclipse e4 Web Gadget (Incubation).
- Click Next and follow the wizard to completion. This will install two small plug-ins.
To add a gadget, press Ctrl+3, enter 'Open Gadget', press Return, and enter the gadget URL into the dialog.
Here are some example gadgets to try:
To get the source code, follow these steps:
- Start with Eclipse 3.5 (or a 3.6 milestone build) and an empty workspace.
- Open the CVS Repositories view (Ctrl+3 CVSR).
- Copy the following string :pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot/eclipse
- Right-click in the view and select Paste Connection.
- (Optional: Adjust user name, password and connection method if you are a committer.)
- Expand the repository, then HEAD, e4, org.eclipse.e4.ui, bundles
- Select 'org.eclipse.e4.ui.gadgets' and 'org.eclipse.e4.ui.web', and select 'Check Out' from the context menu.