Installing e4 July 2010
The most recent e4 release is the e4 July 2010 release.
Installing from the repository
- Install Eclipse SDK 4.0
- Select Help > Install New Software...
- In the "Work With" field, select http://download.eclipse.org/e4/updates/2010
- Select the features you want to install. They are organized by category.
- e4 Resources: Experimental work to support a resource model based on REST resource APIs
- e4 Runtime: Runtime components required by other e4 features
- e4 Server: Experimental Bespin server based on e4
- e4 TM:Toolkit Model. A declarative UI runtime based on EMF
- e4 UI: This will install the e4 UI runtime components. To be able to run the e4 photo demo (a RCP style application), you should check everything under the "E4 UI" category: Eclipse e4 CSS, Eclipse e4 UI, Eclipse e4 CSS Source, and Eclipse e4 UI Source. 
- e4 XWT: This will install the declarative UI runtime and its development environment. The "E4 XWT" feature contains XWT runtime and "E4 XWT Tools" corresponds to the development environment.
- Review the items to be installed and click Next.
- Accept (or not!) the license terms and click Finish.
Information on installing builds from the 0.9 (July 2009) release.
As of 0.9 M4, e4 provides an "all in one" download. This is a product that contains everything you would ever need to develop e4: the latest Eclipse SDK, EMF SDK, and all of the e4 bundles and source code. Simply download the zip, unzip it, and run the eclipse.exe as you would for the basic Eclipse platform. The 0.9 release build is available here.
You are now ready to try out the demos:
- SWT: Running the cross-compile-SWT-to-Flash demos (0.9 only)
- UI: Running the e4 photo demo, contacts demo, and the CSS examples
- XWT: Running the declarative UI demos
 Note that the Eclipse e4 UI work also requires the EMF runtime. This will be brought in automatically. However, if you wish to view or edit the UI model and you're not a fan of XML source editing, you will want to install the EMF SDK which provides the EMF .xmi editor. Follow "Help" -> "Install New Software..." -> "Models and Model Development" -> "EMF SDK - Eclipse Modeling Framework SDK 2.4.1 or 2.5.0", then restart Eclipse.