You will need a 3.5 M4 Eclipse SDK. We recommend starting with this exact build.
- Select Help > Install New Software...
- Click on the "Add Site..." button and enter the e4 0.9 M1 update site URL: http://download.eclipse.org/e4/downloads/drops/S-0.9M1-200902061045/repository
- Depending on which aspects of e4 interest you, check one or more of the following (note that source components only give you source):
- e4 Resources: This will install a patch against the Eclipse Platform from the 3.5 stream, replacing the resources component with the e4 edition. The e4 version is fully backwards compatible, but contains a number of new capabilities. See the e4 New & Noteworthy document for details.
- e4 SWT: This will install the ActionScript development environment which is used to generate cross-compiled SWT apps.
- e4 UI: This will install the e4 UI runtime components. To be able to run the e4 photo demo (a RCP style application), you should check everything under the "E4 UI" category: Eclipse e4 CSS, Eclipse e4 UI, Eclipse e4 CSS Source, and Eclipse e4 UI Source.
- e4 XWT: This will install the declarative UI runtime and its development environment. The "E4 XWT" category contains XWT runtime and The "E4 XWT Tools" corresponds to the development environment.
- Click Next.
- Review the items to be installed and click Next.
- Accept (or not!) the license terms and click Finish.
You will be prompted to restart the Eclipse SDK after the installation. Click Yes to restart.
You are now ready to try out the demos: