|Every night, 19:30 EDT||M4 prep build|
|Friday, June 26th, 08:30 EDT||Final build towards M4 - we'll need a go on this build|
Submitting For the Build
Checking in code: The checkin comment should at a minimum include "bug #", and preferably be of the form "bug # summary"
For the build:
Tool: Teams should use the "Eclipse Releng Tools" to update their releng project for each build. The releng tools can be installed from the update sites already included in 3.5.
Tags: tags should be of the form v<date>, so v20081120 or v20081120-1300
- check out your team releng project from e4/releng
- use the psf files to check out your core plugins, tests, and examples
- Run Team>Release from the context menu:
- Select your team's releng project, like org.eclipse.e4.ui.releng.
- Select the projects you want to release from your map file.
- You can review the changed projects in this pane. Make sure 'Generate Build Notes' is selected.
- Copy out the build note changes so you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
with a subject that starts with [releng]. You don not have to select a build
notes file to continue.
- Enter the release tag for you build. This would normally be the build time and date with a v in front, v20090101-1930
- You can review the changes to your map file here, or simply continue.
- Commit the changes so they will be picked up by the I-build
Versioning Plugins: Teams should try and follow the standard versioning rules posted at Version_Numbering. If you need to copy over an existing eclipse project to make changes, please increment the minor number by 100. i.e. 3.5.0 becomes 3.105.0. When you need to break API, then update the major number. i.e. 3.105.0 becomes 4.0.0
We run our builds on build.eclipse.org (a ppc linux machine) with a local userid, e4Build.
The main build project is in
e4/releng/org.eclipse.e4.builder. It contains the
masterBuild.sh script that can be modified to run a test build or a real build (tagged and uploaded to download.eclipse.org). It also contains the PDE build directory,
e4/releng/org.eclipse.e4.builder/builder/general, that builds our master feature. Our PDE build directory also contains modified code/XML to support using p2 to run our automated tests.
There are a number of directories that need to be available to run a build.
- /opt/public/common: the java installs can be appropriate for your architecture.
apache-ant-1.7.0/ ibm-java2-ppc-50@ ibm-java-jdk-ppc-60@ flex_sdk_22.214.171.12494_mpl/ ibm-java2-ppc-50-old@ ibm-java-ppc-60@ ibm-java2-142@ ibm-java2-ppc64-50@
To run the tests, we need a virtual X server on :8:
Xvfb :8 -screen 0 1280x1024x24 -auth auth.cfg metacity --display=:8.0 --replace --sm-disable
Where auth.cfg contains at least:
The build is currently controlled from the
masterBuild.sh script. There are a number of dependencies that make this a linux only build, and the machine has to be set up the same way as build.eclipse.org. This section will capture the requirements/process so that all of the needed steps are executed. See bug releng - Run a build from any platform for any discussions about this section.
The resources, ui, and swt teams now have plugins in their team area in the e4 project. Our project is under :pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot/eclipse
The resources CVS structure is:
The org.eclipse.e4.resources.releng contains the map files for building as well as Team Project Sets that should be used for checking out the projects to be worked on.
Resources currently has 4 features. 2 feature patches for the plugins (one for rcp, one for platform), a feature that contains the 2 patches, and a test feature for the tests.
Resources can currently update a 3.5 SDK I build and run.
The UI CVS structure is:
The org.eclipse.e4.ui.releng contains the map files for building as well as Team Project Sets that should be used for checking out the projects to be worked on.
UI currently has one main feature for the modelled workbench and one feature for the demos. The build master feature, org.eclipse.e4.master, is also in UI for now.
UI currently requires EMF 2.4.1 or 2.5.0 in installed on 3.5 in order to run. They can be installed from the update site included with the I builds.
The SWT CVS structure is:
The org.eclipse.e4.swt.releng contains the map files for building as well as Team Project Sets that should be used for checking out the projects to be worked on.
SWT has 2 features, one for the ActionScript tools and another for the ActionScript tests.
To update to the ActionScript tools you must first download and install the Open Source Flex SDK.
Setup Flex environment:
- Download and install the Adobe Open Source Flex SDK (available from http://opensource.adobe.com). NOTE: The path where you install the Flex SDK must contain no spaces. This is due to a bug in FCSH.
- update your eclipse.ini file and add another line at the end, -Dflex.sdk=<your path to the installed sdk>
Then you can update to the ActionScript tools. To work on the tools themselves, you must also set the FLEX_SDK classpath variable in Window>Preferences>Java>Build Path>Classpath Variables to point to the sdk location.
To work on org.eclipse.swt, org.eclipse.swt.e4.jcl, org.eclipse.swt.e4.examples, and org.eclipse.swt.examples you need to create a Linked Resource variable, WORKSPACE, that points to your current workspace root, from Window>Preferences>General>Workspace>Linked Resources. Also if .classpath_flex exists it must be copied to the .classpath entry.