Developer's guide to upgrading the AJDT build to a newer version of Eclipse
Steps required to change the version of Eclipse used to build and AJDT and run the tests. As an example we will consider an upgrade from Eclipse 3.3M3 to 3.3M4:
Download new Eclipse-SDK (such eclipse-SDK-3.3M4-linux-gtk.tar.gz) and also eclipse-test-framework-3.3M4.zip (listed under JUnit Plugin Tests and Automated Testing Framework)
From the CruiseControl build directory on the build machine, rename old dir "eclipse33" to "eclipse33-old-M3". Create new dir "eclipse33" and unpack new SDK into it - so that you have a path of eclipse33/eclipse/startup.jar.
Go to "test" sub-dir and rename old dir "eclipse33" to "eclipse33-old-M3". Unpack new SDK again - so that this time you have a path of eclipse33/startup.jar. Also unpack the test framework zip file at the same level. Go into eclipse33/plugins and rename org.eclipse.test_?.?.? to just "org.eclipse.test".
The script which runs the tests expects a startup.jar file in the "eclipse33" directory. Newer eclipse builds don't have this, so it needs to be copied from the plugins dir with "cp plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_.*.jar startup.jar"
That should be it, but there are often some workarounds required for specific issues. Here is the current list:
Delete test/eclipse33/plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.tool.*.jar as this new plugin requires Java 6, so will cause a warning which will result in a test failure (the tests are run under Java 5)
Edit test/eclipse33/plugins/org.eclipse.test/library.xml and add "-XX:MaxPermSize=128m" to the value of the "extraVMargs" property (see bug 130545)
Here is how I upgraded from Eclipse 3.4 RC1 to Eclipse 3.4 final. Slightly different than above:
- Download eclipse classic: eclipse-SDK-3.4-linux-gtk.tar.gz
- Move eclipse34 directory to eclipse34rc1-old
- Unpack downloaded zip into eclipse34/eclipse directory
- Move test/eclipse34 directory to test/eclipse34rc1-old
- Unpack again into test directory
- Copy test/eclipse34rc1-old/*test*.xml and test/eclipse34rc1-old/ui_session_sniff_folder/ into test/eclipse34
- Copy the test framework plugins (ie- eclipse34rc1-old/plugins/*test*) into the plugin directory of eclipse34 for both places I unpacked (note that for 3.5 or later versions, you will need to download the eclipse testing framework separately and follow the steps above)
- Run ant -f build-ajdt1.6.xml to make sure that the new eclipse version works
Building with a later version of Eclispe
When I started working in this project, all the builds were being performed by a headless Eclipse 3.2. Here is how I upgraded the AJDT 1.6 builds to use Eclipse 3.4 instead.
- Updated the org.eclipse.ajdt.pde.build plugin to work with Eclipse 3.4
- Patched the pdebuild-ant.jar as explained in [Developer's guide to driving the AJDT build process]
- Made a backup of build-ajdt1.6.xml
- Then I made 4 changes to the file
- Changed the dir attribute in the java command in the pdebuild target to "eclipse34/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.4.0.v20080604/scripts"
- Changed the jar attribute to eclipse34/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.100.v20080509-1800.jar"
- In the optimized launcher changed the jar attribute to "eclipse34/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.100.v20080509-1800.jar" (did this twice)
- Copied over the relevant AJDT plugins into the Eclipse 3.4 plugins directory (org.aspectj.weaver, org.aspectj.runtime, org.aspectj.ajde). I just grabbed these plugins from the artifacts directory.
- Last one is kind of a bit hacky. I had to edit one of the standard buildscripts that came with Eclipse in the directory /home/build/cruisecontrol-2.3.1/eclipse34/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.4.0.v20080604/scripts there is a genericTargets.xml and a genericTargets.xml.orig. Do a diff of the two files to see what I changed. The reason why I had to change this (I think) is that the AJModelBuildScriptGenerator is not up to date with using the latest pdebuild. This is the ant task that gets called in order to build the plugins. And so I had to modify the script so that the invalid arguments weren't being passed in.