Data Tools Platform:Release Engineering
This information is preliminary. While this system is available within CVS, it is not currently used to generate the DTP builds.
This page details the build system utilised by DTP.
This system was derived from the system used by WTP and STP (and probably others). The system performs the following tasks:
- Component builds
- builds plugins and features
- generates install ZIP
- generates update site JARs
- Component testing
- executes unit tests
- generates results files
- Update site generation
- generates html for download site
- incorporates build settings
- incorporates build results (e.g. warnings/errors)
- incorporates test results
- Download site generation
- Uploading build information
- publishes generated files to DTP web site
The build system is designed to organized as follows:
- a group of one or more components
- synonymous with feature; the input to the builder/assembler/packager
The system is comprised of custom Ant scripts which are used to initialize build properties, download dependencies, invoke the PDE builder for individual components, generate site files.
The head-less PDE builder is used to generate plugin JARs and ZIPs. The PDE builder executes a build using information in the feature and plugin manifests. This helps ensure the plugin build environment is similar to its execution environment.
The system is composed of two projects within CVS:
This project contains the following files:
- *.map files
- used by the PDE builder to locate and fetch source for the build. These files are used to specify the following information:
- plugin/fragment/bundle/feature ID
- plugin/fragment/bundle/feature location in CVS (project and path)
- tag to fetch
- specifies names and download locations for dependencies (e.g. Eclipse platform, EMF, GEF)
- specifies which tag of the org.eclipse.datatools.releng.builder should be used to execute the build
This project contains the scripts used to execute the build. It is divided into the following sections (by folder):
At the root is the build.xml file that drives the build for a particular distribution (i.e. the distribution must be specified when this file is invoked; e.g. dtp).
The components folder contains a folder for each component that will be built. These folders may be used directly with PDE builder as the buildLocation for the build.
A component is synonymous with a feature. The feature specified by the component is used to drive the build. See the PDE builder documentation for more information.
This system deviates from the general PDE build integration by the following:
- allElements.xml is incorporated directly within customTargets.xml
- The allElements and assemble.element.id[.config.spec] targets are defined directly within customTargets.xml.
- most of the targets for customTargets.xml are imported from scripts/build/defaultCustomTargets.xml
- scripts/build/defaultCustomTargets.xml contains targets that are common to all component builds (e.g. fetching dependencies). (Note, individual components may override any targets imported from defaultCustomTargets.xml.)
- This file is used to specify the dependencies required by the component. The dependencies.properties file in [#org.eclipse.datatools.releng | org.eclipse.datatools.releng] must contain an entry for each of the group IDs specified in this file.