Difference between revisions of "Data Tools Platform:Release Engineering"
|Line 38:||Line 38:|
Revision as of 14:16, 12 February 2007
This information is preliminary. While this system is available within CVS, it is not currently used to generate the DTP builds.
This page details the build system utilised by DTP.
This system was derived from the system used by WTP and STP (and probably others). The system performs the following tasks:
- Component builds
- builds plugins and features
- generates install ZIP
- generates update site JARs
- Component testing
- executes unit tests
- generates results files
- Update site generation
- generates html for download site
- incorporates build settings
- incorporates build results (e.g. warnings/errors)
- incorporates test results
- Download site generation
- Uploading build information
- publishes generated files to DTP web site
The build system is designed to organized as follows:
- a group of one or more components
- synonymous with feature; the input to the builder/assembler/packager
The system is comprised of custom Ant scripts which are used to initialize build properties, download dependencies, invoke the PDE builder for individual components, generate site files.
The head-less PDE builder is used to generate plugin JARs and ZIPs. The PDE builder executes a build using information in the feature and plugin manifests. This helps ensure the plugin build environment is similar to its execution environment.
The system is composed of two projects within CVS:
This project contains the map files used by the PDE builder. The map files are used to specify the following information, which is used by the PDE builder when it fetches the source for the build:
- plugin/fragment/bundle/feature ID
- plugin/fragment/bundle/feature location in CVS (project and path)
- build tag
- the tag of the source that should be fetched