← Back to DTP PMC Meeting Page
- Brian Fitzpatrick
- Linda Chan
- John Graham
- Sheila Sholars
- PMC vote on the following bugs. None affect DTP's basic filtering functionality directly because the multi-predicate features are not currently used in the base DTP plug-ins. I vote +1 on all three to go in for M1 (so did Sheila)
- Great suggestion from Linda until they name the next major (June 2009) release officially
- Add the keyword "plan" to any bugzilla entries we want to address in the next major release and set it to "future"
- This way we can do a search on the "plan" keyword when we're prioritizing bugs/enhancements for the next release
- And it doesn't slow us down in the meantime
- Planning for next major release (Galileo/1.7/2.0/June 2009)
- Open discussion
Themes and Priorities for Next Release
- Further stabilize the foundation of DTP by resolving as many bugs as possible.
- If appropriate, promote select DTP 1.6 provisional APIs to platform status.
- Enhance user tools to make DTP a compelling choice for developing data centric applications in Eclipse by providing additional exemplary tools in a variety of areas, including creation of database objects such as catalogs, schemas, tables, columns, constraints, and so on.
- Enhance DTP to work better in headless and RCP applications.
- Accurately prioritize and address bugs, especially those having a severity of major or higher.
- Grow the DTP community through direct contributions and external projects using DTP components.
- Make DTP easier to understand and leverage, from both the extender and user perspectives.
- Meet milestone dates in tight synchronization with Galileo plans.
- Fitz to do - Linda requested that we take a look at SQB bug 220685 to see why it keeps getting reprioritized (was 1.6.1 and is now future)
- Fitz to do - see about adding a new bugzilla keyword "requested" and ask why we can't just add our own keywords
- Fitz to do - talk about use of the "plan" and "investigate" or "requested" keywords or voting for bugs at the Team Leads meeting Monday - "plan" means it's being seriously considered, "investigate" means it's being requested
- Linda, John, Sheila - Asking for specific things that we'd like to see from Red Hat, Actuate, IBM by August 15
- We will come up with a wish list by August 15, then we will go to the Team Leads to see what their teams are prepared to commit resources to, get community input by September 1 -- then be ready for the XML formatted project plan in late September
- get requirements from real adopters - and then will we be able to get committer time to actually do the work
- emphasize that if you can't contribute resources, we're still interested in the requirement, but if we don't have sufficient resources it may fall on the priority list
- for builds, now we have some M1 bugs in the process and the M1 build isn't daily, just request a build from Xiaoying when appropriate
- Fitz to do - request build from Xiaoying on her Friday (our Thursday afternoon), also mention to Xiaoying that this build will be an M1 integration build
- For Brian Payton's bug - process wasn't followed during rampdown - ask him to query the PMC when he gets back from vacation, then we can vote on it
- remind folks that the approvals can be requested via the PMC fields in bugzilla and that would also work as well as the dtp-pmc mailing list
- may need to go through and update the field numbers for the release/milestone
- request a build from Xiaoying for her Friday. put it on dtp-pmc & dtp-dev
- New dependencies need to be approved, especially those across other projects, orbit, 3rd party, or whatever - need to write up as part of the DTP policies and procedures
- Need to add some policy regarding extension point documentation. Declare that if new extension points are added, they must have documentation by the mid-point milestone.
Tabled for Later Discussion
- Discuss after Ganymede release
- Discuss DTP charter change to simplify addition of a committer to two or more subprojects at the same time without going through separate committer elections
- Perhaps in the future come up with a Component architecture document that shows DTP dependencies to consumers
- Things to consider for next major release (June 2009) - JDK 1.4 end of life, move to JDK 1.5 in next release? Depends on platform support. Something to discuss going forward