DTP Enablement Ganymede Project Plan
This document details the plan for DTP Enablement in the 1.6 ("Ganymede") release.
The DTP Enablement project is a set of components (implemented as Eclipse plug-ins) that specialize core DTP frameworks and tools for specific data sources. Within Enablement you'll find a number of component teams working on data source specializations, including those for popular relational databases and Open Data Access (ODA) drivers. During the DTP 1.6 release, Enablement work will contain both evolution of existing components and addition of new components.
As the locus for specialized data sources in DTP, Enablement is a likely host project for community members wishing to contribute support of desired data sources to DTP directly. The DTP PMC welcomes inquiries about such contributions.
- IBM (contacts: Larry Dunnell, Der-Ping Chou)
1) Add DBDefinitions and driver definitions for DB2 zSeries V9. (Already delivered. Bug 202355)
2) Add custom driver connection UIs for: (Bug 203886)
- IBM JDBC driver
- IBM JDBC driver using kerberos
- SQL Server 2005 JDBC driver
- SQL Server pre-2005 JDBC driver
- Oracle Thin driver
- Oracle OCI driver
- Informix JDBC driver
These custom driver UIs will allow the user to enter the URL parameters as separate properties instead of having to edit the connection URL directly. An example of this already exists in DTP's support for the Derby Embedded driver.
3) Implement database recognizers for DB2 LUW, iSeries and zSeries. (Already delivered. Bug 203338)
4) Rename all visible references to the IBM JDBC driver from "IBM DB2 Universal" to "IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ". (Already delivered. Bug 202857)
5) Rename all visible, display references (not the DBDefinition ID) from "DB2 UDB iSeries" to "DB2 for i5/OS". (Already delivered. Bug 202857)
6) Rename all visible, display references (not the DBDefinition ID) from "DB2 UDB" to "DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows". (Already delivered. Bug 202857)
7) Rename all visible, display references (not the DBDefinition ID) from "DB2 UDB zSeries" to "DB2 for z/OS". (Already delivered. Bug 202857)
8) Contribute DB2 LUW Catalog Loader.(Bug 203887)
9) There needs to be a strict separation between plug-ins with UI dependencies and non-UI dependencies. Adopters have the need to access core functionality such as connection profiles, driver templates, connection management, DDL generators and catalog loaders from command-line tooling or without the UI components installed in the product. Some of the use-cases include programmatically creating a connection to a database, browsing the catalog metadata, generating DDL and executing the DDL. (Bug 203158)
- Sybase (Contact: Hung Hsi)
1) ASA Enablement enhancements. Target = M5, Est. = 15 days, Bug 204628. To improve Sybase ASA support in the following areas: * Refined ASA SQL models; * Full-fledged ASA catalog loader; * Complete DDL and delta DDL support; * Customized content provider for DSE; * Revised ASA database definition model.
2) ASE Enablement enhancements. Target=M5, Est. = 15 days, Bug 204752: Currently in Enablement project, support for Sybase ASE is limited to dbdefinition model and connection profile. We're planning to intensify the support by providing: * Customized ASE SQL model; * Catalog loader for all the ASE models; * Complete DDL and delta DDL support; * Customized content provider for DSE; * Revised ASE database definition model.