DTP 1.5 Project Plan
- [1/30/07]: This document is a draft and has yet to be reviewed and approved by the DTP PMC. Nothing in this document should be taken as committed until approved by the PMC.
Themes and Priorities
With the release of 1.0 in December, 2006, DTP graduated to mature status at Eclipse. As part of meeting the requirements to graduate, DTP built extender and user momentum. In DTP 1.5 we will seek to continue this trend by working on the following themes and priorities:
- Work with extenders to validate further the DTP 1.0 provisional API set and make adjustments as necessary in an open, transparent, and community-driven manner.
- If appropriate, promote select DTP 1.0 provisional API to platform status.
- Enhance user tools to make DTP a compelling choice for developing data centric applications in Eclipse.
- Accurately prioritize and address bugs, especially those having a severity of major or higher.
- Grow the DTP community through direct contributions and external projects using DTP components.
- Make DTP easier to understand and leverage, from both the extender and user perspectives.
The DTP 1.5 release will be distributed as follows:
- A "end user" download, containing binaries for all DTP 1.5 components and end-user documentation
- A "extender" (or "SDK") download, which adds extender documentation and source code to the "base" distribution
- An update site, containing feature definitions for component sets within DTP
The following feature definitions are planned for DTP 1.5:
- Model base feature (org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.feature)
- Connectivity feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.feature)
- Open Data Access (ODA) feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.feature)
- Open Data Access (ODA) designer feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.designer.feature)
- SQL Development Tools feature (org.eclipse.datatools.sqldevtools.feature)
- Enablement feature (org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.feature)
- Enablement Open Data Access (ODA)feature (org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.oda.feature)
- Enablement Open Data Access (ODA)designer feature (org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.oda.designer.feature)
- User documentation for Connectivity feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.doc.user)
- User documentation for SQL Development Tools feature (org.eclipse.datatools.sqldevtools.doc.user)
- Welcome Page content feature (org.eclipse.datatools.intro)
- Extender ("SDK") feature (org.eclipse.datatools.sdk)
Additional features, or changes to the features above might occur based on evolving requirements. This document will be updated to reflect the current planned feature definitions for DTP 1.5 going forward.
DTP 1.5 is part of the [[Europa_Simultaneous_Release | Europa release]. As such, our milestones, release candidates, and final release date are determined by Europa. DTP is a "+1 dependency" on the Eclipse platform, and the dates of specific milestones can be found here, Milestones and Release Candidates section.
Target Operating Environments
The build, test, and deployment environments for DTP 1.5 are described here.
Individual Project Plans
- Model Base: (Add link here)
- Connectivity: (Add link here)
- SQL Development Tools: (Add link here)
- Enablement: In DTP 1.5, we are planning a number of additions to Enablement. These include:
- Support for Sybase ASE and ASA
- Enhanced catalog loading for IBM DB2 and Informix
- Additional ODA drivers (?)
This Bugzilla query shows all items currently planned for DTP 1.5.