DTP 1.5.x Build Guidelines
The purpose of this document is to outline the DTP 1.5.x build process. This document is not a replacement for existing 1.5 stream policies and procedures:
- DTP Development Guidelines: General policies and procedures for DTP 1.5.x development.
- DTP 1.5 Build Environment: Building and testing of DTP 1.5.x.
- DTP 1.5 Development Environment: Suggests a development environment for DTP 1.5.x coding.
Rather, it is intended to specify how DTP 1.5.x stream builds will differ.
Use of Bugzilla Versions and Milestones
DTP versions are included in Bugzilla, and there are also DTP 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 target milestones defined. It is vital that all work done for DTP 1.5.x leverages the target milestones. That is, when you decide to work on a bug/enhancement for 1.5.1 or 1.5.2, set the target milestone appropriately.
Locations in CVS
Code for DTP 1.5.x is located in each DTP CVS module under a R1.5 folder. All work for DTP 1.5.x must be done in these R1.5 folders. (HEAD is for the next major version of DTP.) It is likely that changes for R1.5 will be relevant to HEAD as well. In such cases, the change must be applied to both R1.5 and HEAD.
To make the double application of changes easier (in the absence of merge functionality across branches), we suggest making the change in R1.5, creating a patch, and then applying it to HEAD. As always, committers are expected to test and verify all changes to both R1.5 and HEAD. (Note that changes in HEAD might make application of patches problematic. Yet the same situation occurs for merges, and there comes a time when changes have to be independently developed for each stream. We expect that these sorts of changes will be minimal in 1.5.1, but more common in 1.5.2.)
Build on Demand
DTP 1.5.x will be built (at a maximum) on demand, based on resolution (to "fixed") of Bugzilla entries with 1.5.1 or 1.5.2 target milestones. The procedure will be as follows:
- On a working day basis (Monday --> Friday, US holidays excluded), before noon ET, the person responsible for DTP 1.5.x builds will check Bugzilla for resolved DTP 1.5.x target milestone items. Until the 1.5.1 final build, only 1.5.1 bugs will be queried. After the 1.5.1 release, then 1.5.2 bugs will be queried.
- If new entries have been resolved since the previous build, a new build will be spun. Once completed, the build will appear in the "Nightly" build section of the DTP Download page.
- If no new entries have been resolved, a DTP 1.5.x build will not be spun.
Thus, if bugs are fixed but do not have a 1.5.x target milestone, then a DTP build will not be generated for that item.
The phrase "at a maximum" indicates DTP 1.5.x builds will happen when resources are available to run them. Especially during the summer holiday months, there may be periods when resources to run DTP builds are not present. Please contact dtp-pmc if this presents problems for you.