Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 8-Nov-2006"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
(New Action Items)
 
(3 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 18: Line 18:
 
|}
 
|}
  
== Invited Attendees ==
+
== Attendees ==
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Ted Williams, Doug Gaff, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber
+
* IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir
+
* LANL / PTP Project - Greg Watson
+
* QNX - Doug Schaefer
+
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo
+
* ARM - Anthony Berent
+
* TI - Dobrin Alexey
+
* Motorola - Christian Kurzke
+
* Accelerated Technology - Aaron Spear, Mark Bozeman
+
* Freescale - Kirk Beitz
+
* Montavista - Joe Green
+
* Palm Source - Ewa Matejska
+
 
+
Everyone else is free to attend
+
 
+
== Actual Attendees ==
+
  
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Ted Williams, Michael Scharf / Doug Gaff, Uwe Stieber
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Ted Williams, Michael Scharf
 
* IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal
 
* IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal
-- * LANL / PTP Project - Greg Watson
 
-- * QNX - Doug Schaefer
 
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo
-- * ARM - Anthony Berent
+
* Motorola - Christian Kurzke, Ruth Soliani, Maureen Brenner
-- * TI - Dobrin Alexey
+
* Motorola - Christian Kurzke, Ruth Soliani, Maureen
+
-- Accelerated Technology - Aaron Spear, Mark Bozeman
+
-- Freescale - Kirk Beitz
+
-- Montavista - Joe Green
+
-- Palm Source - Ewa Matejska
+
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
  
* Recent Download Statistics
+
=== Recent Download Statistics ===
  
 
{|border="1"
 
{|border="1"
Line 80: Line 56:
 
*** rseserver: Germany=20, US=19, China=7, France=6, Belgium=6
 
*** rseserver: Germany=20, US=19, China=7, France=6, Belgium=6
  
* '''Update on RSE Status'''
+
=== Update on RSE Status ===
** All blockers towards RSE 1.0 resolved finally - about files review finally done by emo
+
* All blockers towards RSE 1.0 resolved finally - about files review finally done by emo
** New TM FAQ on [[TM and RSE FAQ]]
+
* New TM FAQ on [[TM and RSE FAQ]]
** [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/plan.php Project Plan] status
+
* [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/plan.php Project Plan] status
*** CDT Launcher now works on dstore as well
+
** CDT Launcher now works on dstore as well
*** Jakarta commons-net - working
+
** Jakarta commons-net - working fine for FTP
*** JUnit tests - due to slow legal approval, we now have a framework but no tests yet
+
** JUnit tests - due to slow legal approval, we now have a framework but no tests yet
** What's being added in addition to the plan
+
** Going to join Europa Simultaneous Release
*** Initial version of Discovery is checked in, now availble in the org.eclipse.tm.core project.
+
* Comments regarding the 1.0 release?
*** Wind River got its [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=152826 Terminal View] through EMO Review, and is now checked in at org.eclipse.tm.core.
+
** Great work - using RSE almost daily (Michael Scharf)
*** EFS plugin added as "experimental technology preview"
+
 
*** Going to join Europa Simultaneous Release
+
==== Documentation: Which are the best places to start with? ====
** Comments regarding the 1.0 release?
+
* [http://dsdp.eclipse.org/help/latest/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.rse.doc.isv/guide/rse_int.html RSE Developer Docs]
*** Great work - using RSE almost daily (Michael Scharf)
+
* From the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/tutorial/index.php TM Getting Started] page: [http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/dsdp/tm/presentations/2006-9-29_SummitEurope_TMOverview.pdf Eclipse Summit Europe Architecture Overview Slides]
* '''Motorola - Christian Kurzke'''
+
** From the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/doc/index.php Developer Docs]: [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/meetingnotes/ff01_chicago/DSDPTM_Brainstorming_2005-10-14.htm Chicago Meeting Brainstorming Notes], [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/meetingnotes/ff01_chicago/DSDPTM_Overview.ppt Chicago Meeting Overview Slides]
** Dev.environment for all Motorola hardware, going Eclipse now (also new TmL project)
+
** [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/doc/DSDPTM_Use_Cases_v1.1c.pdf Use Cases document] (old now but still up-to-date -- everybody agreed that this is where we want to get to)
 +
** Upcoming Tutorial for EclipseCon2007
 +
 
 +
=== Motorola - Christian Kurzke ===
 +
* Dev.environment for all Motorola hardware, going Eclipse now (also new TmL project)
 
** Interested in contributing towards version 2: bring requirements to the table, TM for cellphones, embedded settop boxes
 
** Interested in contributing towards version 2: bring requirements to the table, TM for cellphones, embedded settop boxes
 
** Looks like there is a lot of existing support for Linux workstations; new requirements coming for "bare metal" stuff; Motorola's requirements are somewhere in the middle
 
** Looks like there is a lot of existing support for Linux workstations; new requirements coming for "bare metal" stuff; Motorola's requirements are somewhere in the middle
 
*** Maureen to get in closer touch technically
 
*** Maureen to get in closer touch technically
* Documentation: Which are the best places to start with?
 
** ISV docs
 
** Eclipse Summit Europe slides
 
** Architecture overview from Toronto F2F meeting
 
** Use Cases document (old now but still up-to-date -- everybody agreed that this is where we want to get to)
 
** Upcoming Tutorial for EclipseCon2007
 
  
** '''Community's most wanted - who's working on what?'''
+
=== Community's most wanted - who's working on what? ===
*** [http://eclipse-plugins.info/eclipse/plugin_details.jsp?id=1392 Wicked Shell]
+
* [http://eclipse-plugins.info/eclipse/plugin_details.jsp?id=1392 Wicked Shell]
*** WR Terminalview: Michael Scharf currently heavily refactoring this, such that connection can be exchanged; hopes to be finished in the next few days
+
* WR Terminalview: Michael Scharf currently heavily refactoring this, such that connection can be exchanged; hopes to be finished in the next few days --> FAQ
*** There is usage for both commandview (line-based text output) and terminalview
+
* There is usage for both commandview (line-based text output) and terminalview
*** Plans to extend RSE more to the target? (native agent) FAQ
+
* Plans to extend RSE more to the target? (native agent) FAQ
**** Until recently, the strategy was that companies already have proprietary agents, and they'd write extensions to RSE that integrates with the existing proprietary agent
+
** Until recently, the strategy was that companies already have proprietary agents, and they'd write extensions to RSE that integrates with the existing proprietary agent
**** There seems to be field demand for an Open Source agent solution; TPTP already has a Framework for agents; might investigate an integration of RSE with the TPTP agent in the future, rather than developing yet another agent. Symbian thinks about adding this to RSE 2.0
+
** There seems to be field demand for an Open Source agent solution; TPTP already has a Framework for agents; might investigate an integration of RSE with the TPTP agent in the future, rather than developing yet another agent. Symbian thinks about adding this to RSE 2.0
**** TPTP is C++, which might be a problem on some very small devices; but Motorola to look at it
+
** TPTP is C++, which might be a problem on some very small devices; but Motorola to look at it
**** Motorola has proprietarty C-based agent now; want an agent framework that can be extended, such that agent extensions (modules) can be downloaded
+
** Motorola has proprietarty C-based agent now; want an agent framework that can be extended, such that agent extensions (modules) can be downloaded
**** Writing a native C implementation of the DStore agent might also be an option
+
** Writing a native C implementation of the DStore agent might also be an option
**** Christian wrote something like an OSGi framework in native code for dynamic loading of modules, might be an interesting starting point
+
** Christian wrote something like an OSGi framework in native code for dynamic loading of modules, might be an interesting starting point
*** Questions? Requests?
+
* Questions? Requests?
  
* Communications
+
=== Communications ===
** Will have a RSE  
+
* After 1.0, committers will have a 6-week phase of maintenance, doc update, polishing etc. culminating in RSE 1.0.1 mid december; gives time to work on themes and priorities for RSE 2.0
** Please fill in [[RSE 2.0 Planning]]
+
* Please fill in [[RSE 2.0 Planning]] - your "wishlist"
** Collaborations with other projects (Platform/Team, PTP, CDT, TPTP, WTP, ECF, Aperi, g-Eclipse)
+
* Collaborations with other projects (Platform/Team, PTP, CDT, TPTP, WTP, ECF, Aperi, g-Eclipse)
*** Martin wants Platform/Team to get ssh2 preference page under category "Connections"
+
** Martin wants Platform/Team to get ssh2 preference page under category "Connections"
*** Javier in contact with ECF for service discovery
+
** Javier in contact with ECF for service discovery
*** Michael: DD project has new views for async updates of trees; might be a better view for the RSE tree
+
** Michael: DD project has new views for async updates of trees; might be a better view for the RSE tree
 
* Technology sub-groups
 
* Technology sub-groups
 
** Update on [[DSDP/TM/Autodetect|Autodetect]] (Javier)
 
** Update on [[DSDP/TM/Autodetect|Autodetect]] (Javier)
 
*** Currently no plans to extend discovery beyond what's already there; waiting for community input
 
*** Currently no plans to extend discovery beyond what's already there; waiting for community input
* Next Meeting
+
* What's the preferred way of communicating - newsgroup or dev-mailing list?
** 6-Dec-2006
+
** The newsgroup is not very active, we are using the [https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/dsdp-tm-dev dsdp-tm-dev list] for most communications (probably because most users are also interested in contributing)
  
 
== Action Items to Review ==
 
== Action Items to Review ==
Line 136: Line 110:
  
 
== New Action Items ==
 
== New Action Items ==
* DaveD - begin EMO review submission for SSH/Processes patch from MontaVista
+
* Everybody - Get latest RSE I-builds ([http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/ download page]), sanity-check ([[RSE 1.0 Test Instructions]] page) and verify late bug fixes ([https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&resolution=FIXED&resolution=INVALID&resolution=WONTFIX&resolution=DUPLICATE&resolution=WORKSFORME&chfieldfrom=7d&chfieldto=Now&chfield=resolution&cmdtype=doit Bugzilla: RSE bugs fixed last week])
 
* Everybody - Review and edit the [[RSE 2.0 Planning]] page
 
* Everybody - Review and edit the [[RSE 2.0 Planning]] page
* Everybody - Get latest RSE I-builds, sanity-check and verify late bug fixes
+
* Maureen to try RSE, review docs, and get in contact with the [https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/dsdp-tm-dev dsdp-tm-dev list] (probably setup a 1-on-1 talk)
* Maureen to try RSE, review docs, and get in contact with the dsdp-tm-dev list Martin
+
* Christian to look at options for Open Remote Agents (TPTP and others)
 +
* Martin - add FAQ items for Commandview vs. Terminal, Remote Native Agents
 +
* DaveD - begin EMO review submission for SSH/Processes patch from MontaVista
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
* Next [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 6-Dec-2006]] (Wednesday, 4 weeks)
 
* Next [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 6-Dec-2006]] (Wednesday, 4 weeks)

Latest revision as of 14:18, 8 November 2006

Dial-in numbers and passcodes have changed for this call only. We'll revert to our regular numbers next month.

Meeting Title: Conference Call on Target Management
Date & Time: Wednesday November 8, 2006 at 1700 UTC / 9am PST
International Dial-in +1 314 655 1411
North American Dial-In +1 877 422 0035
Passcode: 764918#

Contents

[edit] Attendees

  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Ted Williams, Michael Scharf
  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo
  • Motorola - Christian Kurzke, Ruth Soliani, Maureen Brenner

[edit] Agenda

[edit] Recent Download Statistics

RSE 1.0 Download statistics as per 7-Nov-2006
Component M4 M5 RC1 RC2 RC3 RC4
Date 18-Aug 22-Sep 08-Oct 20-Oct 30-Oct 03-Nov
RSE-SDK 4 38 164 177 113 68
rseserver-windows 1 11 70 62 24 34
rseserver-linux 1 6 39 28 19 9
rse.core (Update Site) 66 46 72 28
Total 230 223 185
  • Download Statistics Analysis
    • RC1 was just after the "getting mature" blog (18-Sep)
    • RC2 was just after the "release test" blog (11-Oct); also, 20-Oct was the originally planned release date
    • Most people still prefer the SDK, although the update site is gaining momentum
      • On the update site, 60% get the .jar.pack.gz but 40 % get the .jar file
    • Looking at RC1, Grouping by country is:
      • RSE-SDK: Germany=38, China=26, US=25, France=10, Canada=8, Turkey=7, Austria=6
      • Update Site: US=23, France=10, Sweden=4, Austria=3 China=3, Denkmark=3, Germany=3, Italy=3
      • rseserver: Germany=20, US=19, China=7, France=6, Belgium=6

[edit] Update on RSE Status

  • All blockers towards RSE 1.0 resolved finally - about files review finally done by emo
  • New TM FAQ on TM and RSE FAQ
  • Project Plan status
    • CDT Launcher now works on dstore as well
    • Jakarta commons-net - working fine for FTP
    • JUnit tests - due to slow legal approval, we now have a framework but no tests yet
    • Going to join Europa Simultaneous Release
  • Comments regarding the 1.0 release?
    • Great work - using RSE almost daily (Michael Scharf)

[edit] Documentation: Which are the best places to start with?

[edit] Motorola - Christian Kurzke

  • Dev.environment for all Motorola hardware, going Eclipse now (also new TmL project)
    • Interested in contributing towards version 2: bring requirements to the table, TM for cellphones, embedded settop boxes
    • Looks like there is a lot of existing support for Linux workstations; new requirements coming for "bare metal" stuff; Motorola's requirements are somewhere in the middle
      • Maureen to get in closer touch technically

[edit] Community's most wanted - who's working on what?

  • Wicked Shell
  • WR Terminalview: Michael Scharf currently heavily refactoring this, such that connection can be exchanged; hopes to be finished in the next few days --> FAQ
  • There is usage for both commandview (line-based text output) and terminalview
  • Plans to extend RSE more to the target? (native agent) FAQ
    • Until recently, the strategy was that companies already have proprietary agents, and they'd write extensions to RSE that integrates with the existing proprietary agent
    • There seems to be field demand for an Open Source agent solution; TPTP already has a Framework for agents; might investigate an integration of RSE with the TPTP agent in the future, rather than developing yet another agent. Symbian thinks about adding this to RSE 2.0
    • TPTP is C++, which might be a problem on some very small devices; but Motorola to look at it
    • Motorola has proprietarty C-based agent now; want an agent framework that can be extended, such that agent extensions (modules) can be downloaded
    • Writing a native C implementation of the DStore agent might also be an option
    • Christian wrote something like an OSGi framework in native code for dynamic loading of modules, might be an interesting starting point
  • Questions? Requests?

[edit] Communications

  • After 1.0, committers will have a 6-week phase of maintenance, doc update, polishing etc. culminating in RSE 1.0.1 mid december; gives time to work on themes and priorities for RSE 2.0
  • Please fill in RSE 2.0 Planning - your "wishlist"
  • Collaborations with other projects (Platform/Team, PTP, CDT, TPTP, WTP, ECF, Aperi, g-Eclipse)
    • Martin wants Platform/Team to get ssh2 preference page under category "Connections"
    • Javier in contact with ECF for service discovery
    • Michael: DD project has new views for async updates of trees; might be a better view for the RSE tree
  • Technology sub-groups
    • Update on Autodetect (Javier)
      • Currently no plans to extend discovery beyond what's already there; waiting for community input
  • What's the preferred way of communicating - newsgroup or dev-mailing list?
    • The newsgroup is not very active, we are using the dsdp-tm-dev list for most communications (probably because most users are also interested in contributing)

[edit] Action Items to Review

[edit] New Action Items

  • Everybody - Get latest RSE I-builds (download page), sanity-check (RSE 1.0 Test Instructions page) and verify late bug fixes (Bugzilla: RSE bugs fixed last week)
  • Everybody - Review and edit the RSE 2.0 Planning page
  • Maureen to try RSE, review docs, and get in contact with the dsdp-tm-dev list (probably setup a 1-on-1 talk)
  • Christian to look at options for Open Remote Agents (TPTP and others)
  • Martin - add FAQ items for Commandview vs. Terminal, Remote Native Agents
  • DaveD - begin EMO review submission for SSH/Processes patch from MontaVista

[edit] Next Meeting