Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 9-Jun-2008"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 | Meeting Title: | '''TM Committer Phone Meeting''' |- | Date & Time: | Monday June 9, 2008 at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdet...)
 
 
(3 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 29: Line 29:
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Jun-2008]]
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Jun-2008]]
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
 +
* '''Welcome Anna!'''
  
 
=== '''New Stuff''' ===
 
=== '''New Stuff''' ===
Line 70: Line 71:
 
* {{Bug|227750}} [efs][regression] Eclipse with RSE 3.0 don't start or Display problems -- DaveD: Sounds like should be deferred to 3.1
 
* {{Bug|227750}} [efs][regression] Eclipse with RSE 3.0 don't start or Display problems -- DaveD: Sounds like should be deferred to 3.1
 
* {{Bug|230917}} [regression] Some DStore Archive Testcases fail -- '''AI Xuan''' look at, probably move to 3.0.1 during weekend
 
* {{Bug|230917}} [regression] Some DStore Archive Testcases fail -- '''AI Xuan''' look at, probably move to 3.0.1 during weekend
 
=== '''Other Stuff'''
 
* Ganymede Promotions - Screencast (until June 15), New&Noteworthy
 
* Javier - deactivated as Committer because he
 
* Anna Dushistova to become Committer
 
 
  
 
=== '''Plan for Next Steps''' ===
 
=== '''Plan for Next Steps''' ===
Line 113: Line 108:
 
** '''TM Website:''' revamp should really be complete for Ganymede! Kevin and Martin won't have time. DaveD will try to get to it, but cannot promise.
 
** '''TM Website:''' revamp should really be complete for Ganymede! Kevin and Martin won't have time. DaveD will try to get to it, but cannot promise.
  
 
=== What will happen after Ganymede? ===
 
* Going for 3.1 next year, bugzilla target milestone exists
 
** Communicate plans (Wiki, Website) - Java5?
 
 
* [[TM Future Planning]] Wiki for collecting ideas. Some first thoughts on Priorities?
 
** Connection Grouping - be Multicore aware
 
** Rewrite the Tableview to be really aware of Properties
 
** More dynamic subsystem enablement and configuration (e.g. detect UNIX vs Windows automatically at runtime)
 
** Hi-Performance, caching EFS provider
 
** Bring TCF to Maturity
 
** Quality: Add unittest coverage, reduce bloat, improve performance, streamline APIs
 
  
 
=== Questions ===
 
=== Questions ===
 
* '''DaveD''' context menu on SystemView / TeamView: something going on with the way how items are being added. Bringing up the context menu immediately after startup shows some debugger related stuff. Martin: {{Bug|208062}}
 
* '''DaveD''' context menu on SystemView / TeamView: something going on with the way how items are being added. Bringing up the context menu immediately after startup shows some debugger related stuff. Martin: {{Bug|208062}}
 
=== Committer Status and Report ===
 
* '''Javier''' - New Employer in Barcelona
 
* '''DaveD''' -
 
** {{bug|189274}} Import/export connections
 
* '''DaveM:''' -
 
** JUnit should autotest dstore against old servers as well - an IBM thing
 
* '''Kevin:''' -
 
* '''Xuan:''' -
 
* '''Martin:''' - Commons.Net 1.5.0 not yet released - '''AI Martin''' create placeholder CQ
 
** {{Bug|221190}} EFS getChild() with relative path - perhaps need to check whether our impl still works properly
 
** GSoC student Takuya Miyamoto for {{Bug|185925}}
 
* '''Uwe:''' -
 
* '''Rupen:''' -
 
* '''Michael:''' -
 
* '''Eugene:''' -
 
* '''Rado:''' -
 
* '''Felix:''' -
 
* '''Questions'''
 
  
 
=== '''Old Stuff''' ===
 
=== '''Old Stuff''' ===
 
* '''Unit Tests''' - next priority after API
 
* '''Unit Tests''' - next priority after API
 
* Migrating to new Releng on dsdp.eclipse.org (adopt P2, nightly tests, signing etc)
 
* Migrating to new Releng on dsdp.eclipse.org (adopt P2, nightly tests, signing etc)
* {{Bug|221211}} MultiStatus for IFileService batch operations - exception on first failure for modifying operations. No exceptions/multistatus on non-modifying operations. '''AI DaveD/DaveM''' update Javadocs when it's clear what we want
 
* {{Bug|220379}} Make DStoreFileService API - encodingHandler - wait on reporter - is this fixed now that IService is IAdaptable as per {{bug|226262}}? '''AI DaveM''' ask reporters
 
* {{Bug|220547}} SimpleSystemMessage message ID - globally unique message id vs. plugin-local status - Dialog Title: MessageID if globally unique / generic title based on severity if plugin-local - '''AI DaveM''' think about
 
  
 
* '''Bugzilla''':  
 
* '''Bugzilla''':  
Line 160: Line 121:
 
* '''Quality, Backlog and Unit Tests'''
 
* '''Quality, Backlog and Unit Tests'''
 
** Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan
 
** Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan
** Since our [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]] it's now 31 weeks / 5 milestones, so each committer is due 62 fixes / 10 unittests
 
 
** Current situation is on [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2007-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&format=table&action=wrap&negate0=1&field0-0-0=resolution&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=DUPLICATE this bugzilla report]
 
** Current situation is on [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2007-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&format=table&action=wrap&negate0=1&field0-0-0=resolution&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=DUPLICATE this bugzilla report]
** Unittests: when adding a test, please add the tag '''//-test-author:YourName''' in front of it
 
*** DaveM - 5
 
*** DaveD - 22
 
*** KevinD - 11
 
*** MartinO - 3
 
*** TobiasS - 3
 
*** UweS - 7
 
*** XuanC - 51
 
*** '''Total - 101'''
 
*** Javier - 0
 
  
 
== Vacation, away ==  
 
== Vacation, away ==  
Line 179: Line 129:
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 28-May-2008#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
+
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Jun-2008#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
 
* '''Everyone''':
 
* '''Everyone''':
 
** Triage 3.0 and earlier assigned bugs and move to 3.0.1 / 3.1 what we can
 
** Triage 3.0 and earlier assigned bugs and move to 3.0.1 / 3.1 what we can
Line 185: Line 135:
 
** Update the New&Noteworthy (Martin will send a separate E-Mail)
 
** Update the New&Noteworthy (Martin will send a separate E-Mail)
 
** Bug fixes, cleanup, unittests
 
** Bug fixes, cleanup, unittests
* '''DaveD''': Take {{Bug|234215}} and talk to DaveM about {{Bug|234030}}; Dial in at Release Review; Try Website brush-up
+
* '''DaveD''': Test initial install of RC2 from Ganymede (CDT, EMF dependencies!); Test JEE package (when available as RC3); Prioritize {{Bug|235221}}; Commit {{Bug|234215}}; Prepare EFS Userdocs along the lines of [[TM and RSE FAQ#Why is the Outline View empty when editing a remote PHP or C file?]]
* '''DaveM''': {{bug|233480}} - tell the team to use custom newConnectionWizards extension
+
* '''DaveM''': Commit {{bug|199596}}, {{bug|234038}}; File new bug for tableview issue; work with Martin on {{bug|233461}}; {{bug|233480}} - tell the team to use custom newConnectionWizards extension
 
* '''Kevin''': -
 
* '''Kevin''': -
 
* '''Rupen''': -
 
* '''Rupen''': -
* '''Xuan''': -
+
* '''Xuan''': Text Import/Export; Look at {{Bug|230917}} Archive Handler Unittests
* '''Martin''': Update Project Plan; Critical EFS bugs; Finish new Releng and tell DaveD; Get started on New&Noteworthy; Create an initial 3.1 plan
+
* '''Martin''': Run performance tests for {{bug|233461}}; Test 2.0->3.0 Update; Tell DaveD when JEE RC3 is ready; Prepare I-build for {{bug|233461}} when done; Update Project Plan; File new bug for {{bug|165171}}; Critical EFS bugs; Finish new Releng and tell DaveD; Get started on New&Noteworthy; Create an initial 3.1 plan
 
* '''Javier''': Hi-PRI FTP BUGS
 
* '''Javier''': Hi-PRI FTP BUGS
 
* '''Michael''': Terminal: Try to fix {{bug|185348}}, {{bug|204796}}
 
* '''Michael''': Terminal: Try to fix {{bug|185348}}, {{bug|204796}}
 
* '''Uwe''': -
 
* '''Uwe''': -
* '''Rado''': Fix {{Bug|230919}} IFileService.delete()
+
* '''Rado''': -
 
* '''Felix''': -
 
* '''Felix''': -
 
* '''Eugene''': -
 
* '''Eugene''': -
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 18-Jun-2008]] (9 days) at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2008&month=6&day=18&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1000 Rochester / 1100 Toronto / 1700 Salzburg]
+
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 25-Jun-2008]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2008&month=6&day=25&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1000 Rochester / 1100 Toronto / 1700 Salzburg]
 
* Monthly [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 2-Jul-2008]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=7&day=2&year=2008&hour=16&min=00&sec=0&p1=0 9am PST / 1600 UTC]
 
* Monthly [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 2-Jul-2008]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=7&day=2&year=2008&hour=16&min=00&sec=0&p1=0 9am PST / 1600 UTC]
  

Latest revision as of 13:08, 2 July 2008

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Monday June 9, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1100 Rochester / 1200 Toronto / 1800 Salzburg
Dial-in: Martin to call everybody by Skype

Backup dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588 / Freephone +1 (866) 6161738 / UK 08712460713 / Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype dial-in: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, michael_scharf, uwe.stieber, radoslav.gerganov, wrsfburton.

Contents

[edit] Invited Attendees

  • IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian, Kevin Doyle
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber, Eugene Tarassov, Felix Burton
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus
  • ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
  • MontaVista - Anna Dushistova

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

[edit] Agenda

[edit] New Stuff

  • DSDP/TM/3.0 Ramp down Plan for Ganymede
    • We have RC3, so from now on EVERY checkin must get a +1 by two reviewers BEFORE (except emergencies, documentation-only or unittest-only things). Also applies to "incubation". Rules do not apply to TCF
    • Please do NOT only ask me for reviewing, it doesn't scale
  • TM 3.0 RC2 Testing Status (as per yesterday's E-Mail)
    • Test Configurations -- especially for bug 231453 from cross-project list
      • TM installed into Eclipse 3.4 dropins/ -- That's what we always do
      • TM installed into Eclipse 3.3. -- Martin has target platform against 3.3 now
      • TM as part of the JEE Package -- AI DaveD, or Kevin; AI Martin tell Dave when JEE has TM RC3
      • TM initial install from TM Update Site -- Martin
      • Ganymede TM initial install from Ganymede --
        • Dependencies: When Remotecdt / Discovery selected, CDT / EMF must be installed automatically
        • DaveD: Quicktest on official Ganymede Site with RC2 (today), RC3 again when available
      • Update Scenarios
        • Updating 3.0 to 3.0.1 -- referencing TM site, not Gany site -- 3.0RC3 to I-build -- AI Martin
        • Updating TM 2.0 to 3.0 -- Eclipse 3.3/TM 2.0 (including discovery, cdt), use TM 3.0 update site, update to TM 3.0 -- AI Martin
    • Test Areas
      • Connection Import / Export -- AI Xuan
      • Documentation: Correct hyperlinks
      • Feature Versions, About Files, ...

[edit] Hot Bugs being discussed

  • bug 233461 Refresh expanded Folders -- IFileService#list to return children and parent in one step, how to be API compatible?
    • DaveM: Not in favor of changing API, don't expect getFile() to be expensive, Cache in Service Layer. Against explicit API change. Plain semantic change is the least of the evils.
    • Martin against Caching on Service Layer.
    • Original bug as specified must be fixed - want the fix in there as soon as possible, because it fixes IRemoteFile problems
    • AI Martin can easily adapt unittests to run performance metrics
    • Split up the bug: Original bug 233461 for the original problem only, include a small patch WITHOUT API change but with unittests. Create a new bug for the API Changes / Preformance Improvements, with the 2nd part of the patch. Discuss API separately. Original bug to be committed into an I-build today. AI Martin and Dave to hook up on Skype later today.
  • bug 235600 Downrev ftp, local, ssh, telnet features to 2.1.0 was intentional!
  • bug 235221 Files truncated on exit of Eclipse -- AI DaveD prioritize bug
  • bug 199596 [refresh][ftp] Changing a file/folder's Read-Only attribute doesn't always update IRemoteFile -- is it fixed now? -- patch not yet committed?
  • bug 234038 [files][refresh] Changing file permissions does not update property sheet or refresh tree -- is it fixed? -- patch not yet committed? -- AI DaveM create new bug for Tableview
  • bug 235145 Remove Create Project Action -- DaveD: Document the process of creating a remote project, but get rid of the action? - Martin: See FAQ,
    • Decision: Action is not ready for products, therefore remove it now or allow to programmatically disable it
  • bug 234026 [apidoc] IFileService#createFolder() does not specify whether parent folders are created
    • Update Service Docs and Impl to make the Service create parent folders
  • bug 227750 [efs][regression] Eclipse with RSE 3.0 don't start or Display problems -- DaveD: Sounds like should be deferred to 3.1
  • bug 230917 [regression] Some DStore Archive Testcases fail -- AI Xuan look at, probably move to 3.0.1 during weekend

[edit] Plan for Next Steps

  • Bug Triage
    • AI Everyone must review your assigned bugs and move to 3.0.1 where possible
    • All "3.0" assigned bugs must be triaged now and either assigned a proper RC milestone or 3.0.1 (with the exception of Documentation-only fixes)
    • Work on remaining ones by priority
    • Open RC2 Assigned bugs, open 3.0 Assigned bugs
    • Severity Major, Hi-Priority
    • Current Statistics: 1 blocker (Martin), 1 critical (Martin), 8 major (DaveD, Kevin, Martin, Michael), 23 other P2's -- was 10 major / 20 P2's last week
    • Community contributions: Only few unapplied patches right now, last chance to apply now before 3.0 (see also the Bug Process Page for a query)
  • Martin's new Build System for Dave
    • In the works
  • New and Noteworthy
    • I'll need a list of new features for a New&Noteworthy, and for the Release Review. Release Review material is due next week.
    • See CDT/User/NewIn50 for example; for TM, I put most news into our Build Notes already, so it should be possible to compile the N&N out of the build notes
    • For the N&N, please make screenshots and work on "your" new features, e.g.
      • Useractions
  • Cleanup Work
    • Besides the hi-priority issues, there is a LOT of cleanup to do. What do we consider must-have's?
      • Unittests, unittests, unittests!
      • New releng scripts on dsdp.eclipse.org (Martin: must-have before his vacation)
      • Copyright Year Updates (Run the releng Copyrights Tool)
      • Migration Notes (for 2.0 / for 1.0?)
      • API Tooling Javadocs(@noextend and friends) - bug 227368, bug 225529 comment 4 and bug 225529 comment 6 - DSDP/TM/Code Ownership
      • Review and improve Userdocs; we have several open bugs here
      • Review and improve Javadocs; lots still missing, unclear, duplicated
      • Fix broken hyperlinks in the docs, fix HTML/XML errors (which can make the indexer not work)
      • Get rid of compiler warnings wherever possible
      • Add more Unittests -- ideally write an accompanying unittest for every bugfix
      • Run Findbugs -- Update site on http://findbugs.cs.umd.edu/eclipse, Quickdocs by Rado in tm-dev E-Mail
        • Question about filtering false positives posted on fb-discuss link
    • TM Website: revamp should really be complete for Ganymede! Kevin and Martin won't have time. DaveD will try to get to it, but cannot promise.


[edit] Questions

  • DaveD context menu on SystemView / TeamView: something going on with the way how items are being added. Bringing up the context menu immediately after startup shows some debugger related stuff. Martin: bug 208062

[edit] Old Stuff

  • Unit Tests - next priority after API
  • Migrating to new Releng on dsdp.eclipse.org (adopt P2, nightly tests, signing etc)
  • Quality, Backlog and Unit Tests
    • Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan
    • Current situation is on this bugzilla report

[edit] Vacation, away

  • Martin vacation June 11 - 22 -- AI Martin finish and test the new Build scripts on dsdp.eclipse.org till then
  • DaveM vacation June 16 - 20
  • DaveD in July

[edit] Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • Everyone:
    • Triage 3.0 and earlier assigned bugs and move to 3.0.1 / 3.1 what we can
    • Add @noextend etc according to DSDP/TM/Code Ownership table;
    • Update the New&Noteworthy (Martin will send a separate E-Mail)
    • Bug fixes, cleanup, unittests
  • DaveD: Test initial install of RC2 from Ganymede (CDT, EMF dependencies!); Test JEE package (when available as RC3); Prioritize bug 235221; Commit bug 234215; Prepare EFS Userdocs along the lines of TM and RSE FAQ#Why is the Outline View empty when editing a remote PHP or C file?
  • DaveM: Commit bug 199596, bug 234038; File new bug for tableview issue; work with Martin on bug 233461; bug 233480 - tell the team to use custom newConnectionWizards extension
  • Kevin: -
  • Rupen: -
  • Xuan: Text Import/Export; Look at bug 230917 Archive Handler Unittests
  • Martin: Run performance tests for bug 233461; Test 2.0->3.0 Update; Tell DaveD when JEE RC3 is ready; Prepare I-build for bug 233461 when done; Update Project Plan; File new bug for bug 165171; Critical EFS bugs; Finish new Releng and tell DaveD; Get started on New&Noteworthy; Create an initial 3.1 plan
  • Javier: Hi-PRI FTP BUGS
  • Michael: Terminal: Try to fix bug 185348, bug 204796
  • Uwe: -
  • Rado: -
  • Felix: -
  • Eugene: -

[edit] Next Meeting