Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 6-Feb-2008"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(11 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 14: Line 14:
 
MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.<br/>
 
MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.<br/>
 
'''Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call.''' MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.<br/>  
 
'''Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call.''' MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.<br/>  
Skype dial-in: '''martin.oberhuber''', ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.<br/>
+
Skype dial-in: '''martin.oberhuber''', ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.<br/>
  
== Invited Attendees ==
+
== Attendees ==
 
* IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Kevin Doyle, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian
 
* IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Kevin Doyle, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Ted Williams, Eugene Tarassov
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Eugene Tarassov
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus
  
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
+
== Notes ==
 
+
== Agenda ==
+
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 23-Jan-2008]]
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 23-Jan-2008]]
  
 
=== Current Work ===
 
=== Current Work ===
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
 +
** Excellent even with 9 participants (8 + organizer). This is the Maximum that Skype supports, so we could meet on Skype only because Michael had another appointment.
 
* '''M5 upcoming''' - Test and endgame plan?
 
* '''M5 upcoming''' - Test and endgame plan?
 +
** Want M5 finished by Friday Feb 15 --> Risky checkins to be complete by Friday Feb 8 --> Test run on Tuesday Feb 12
 
** '''First PII drop on Feb 25th, Deadline until end of M6'''; try to minimize any wholesale changes after Feb.25th
 
** '''First PII drop on Feb 25th, Deadline until end of M6'''; try to minimize any wholesale changes after Feb.25th
** PII Changes for UI/Non-UI Splitting e.g. {{Bug|190231}} SubSystem
+
** PII Changes for UI/Non-UI Splitting e.g. {{Bug|190231}} SubSystem, {{Bug|211067}} SystemMessages in Services
* '''Planning''' - '''AI Martin''' to write up what we discussed in Toronto
+
** '''[https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=3.0+M5&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit 3.0 M5 assigned open bugs]'''
** Think about assigning bugs to target milestones. What goes into 3.0 and what not?
+
*** SystemMessages UI/Core separation - '''AI DaveM to investigate'''
 +
**** DaveD prefer to have standard NLS strings only
 +
* '''[[TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa#Ramp_down_for_Europa_SR2_.2829-Feb-2007.29|TM 2.0.3]]''' upcoming Feb.29 --  [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=2.0.3&cmdtype=doit 2.0.3 assigned bugs], any else?
 +
** '''AI All''' file 'backport' bugs for 2.0.3 until end of this week
 
* Eugene new committer
 
* Eugene new committer
 +
** Martin wants TCF to be discussed more in the Open. Currently mostly Wind River engagement, but more to come (Power.org; ECSI Debug Standards Workshop).
 +
** TCF is mostly separate from RSE technology. '''AI Martin''' create separate Bugzilla component for TCF.
 +
* Can we commit to support Java 6 (just runtime)?
 +
** YES. Develop against Java 1.4 and test against Java 6. Main topic is incorporation of scripting. Eclipse Debugger supports finding references of objects.
 
* TM Website
 
* TM Website
 
** {{Bug|216197}} Bugs link on the side nav bar is broken by that latest changes
 
** {{Bug|216197}} Bugs link on the side nav bar is broken by that latest changes
** Kevin: Would like to change the TM website to be more like the Mylyn/RAP sites.  Custom Nav bar, front page showing the product instead of a mission statement, etc.  Is it okay to make changes in a new folder tm-new? Then can push it to the main site if everyone likes the changes?
+
** Kevin: Discussions fine so far, not touched the code yet?
** Martin: Would like to discuss the intended changes before going ahead. But sure you can create any new pages that are not linked from the main page at any time.
+
** Martin: Would like to get more dynamic information onto the homepage in an automated manner e.g. automated release notes with milestones. Avoid merging errors if starting work end this week.
** Martin: Would like to get more dynamic information onto the homepage in an automated manner e.g. automated release notes with milestones
+
 
* Bug Fixing - '''Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan'''
 
* Bug Fixing - '''Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan'''
** Since our [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]] it's now 16 weeks / 4 milestones, so each committer is due 32 fixes / 8 unittests
+
** Since our [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]] it's now 20 weeks / 4 milestones, so each committer is due 40 fixes / 8 unittests
** Current situation is on [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2007-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&format=table&action=wrap this bugzilla report]
+
** Current situation is on [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2007-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&format=table&action=wrap&negate0=1&field0-0-0=resolution&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=DUPLICATE this bugzilla report]
 
** Unittests: Xuan, DaveM, Javier added some; Martin 0; not sure about others; Martin working on Releng scripts next
 
** Unittests: Xuan, DaveM, Javier added some; Martin 0; not sure about others; Martin working on Releng scripts next
* '''Javier''' busy until end of Feb; hoping to get time for hi-pri bugs (but not new features)
+
* Next [[BugDay/February_2008]] on Feb 29
* '''DaveD's''' bugs are largely interrelated, currently working on {{Bug|197036}} - some impacts on teamview, nopefully get done today or tomorrow
+
* '''Javier''' busy until end of Feb; no time for Eclipse currently
** RDC people want to import/export connections rather than profiles - want to see filters self-contained in connection. Might want to solve this by treating connection as a profile with a single connection, and merge it into a different profile. Or store the stuff under the connection itself.
+
* '''DaveD's''' lazy init done. {{Bug|217556}} ServiceSubSystem
** This is maybe related to {{Bug|160403}} Filters should be connection-private by default
+
** What if a subsystem does not have a service layer? - Return null for getServiceType()
 +
** Existing code that checks whether something has a service needs to be changed: '''AI DaveD''' Find references to IServiceSubSystem
 +
** {{bug|217894}} Subsystem Configuration Families - subsystem category would be orthogonal to subsystem family -- family would be related to connector service -- '''AI All''' comment on the bug
 +
** Import/export connections rather than profiles - extend the persistence provider for import/export. Use a profile that only contains those things relevant to the exported elements, and merge it on import (or instantiate + copy).
 +
*** Uwe: Contributors may have their own format for import/export already
 +
*** This is maybe related to {{Bug|160403}} Filters should be connection-private by default
 
* '''DaveM:''' -  
 
* '''DaveM:''' -  
** {{Bug|209703}} - Can one property page affect the contents of another property page?
+
** {{bug|212742}} Util for sending commands and receiving output without echo
** EFS and encodings - DaveM to put Martin on CC of the bug(s) he filed against Platform
+
*** Martin would like to see with M5 for EclipseCon tutorial; but it seems to work OK with SSH and dstore? '''AI Martin review the bug'''
** (TPF) product teams extended SystemView in the past, which is now internal: provide a public Composite that wraps SystemView and that they can extend? E.g. they provided workspace objects along remote objects. AI file bugzilla items for concrete use cases and discuss them there.
+
** {{bug|216252}}, {{bug|190231}} and {{bug|211067}} split resource strings and systemMessages into UI and Core - would like to get NLS refactorings done for the PII drop on Feb 25
** {{Bug|207180}} - Remove "Encoding" control from the Property Pages
+
** EFS and encodings - No response from platform or TPF teams
** {{Bug|209593}} - UNIX permissions and ownership
+
** (TPF) product teams extended SystemView in the past, no response from them
*** Martin finds it odd that IRemoteFile adapts to IFilePermissionsService... shouldn't the IFileService adapt to it? -
+
*** Martin thinks that IHostFile objects should be immutable in order to make caching and threading safer - can we get rid of IHostFile#renameTo() ? Only the actual (Service) implementation should be able to create / change IHostFile objects. How to deal with "pending" permissions? Use a queue to avoid duplicate queries in dstore?
+
**** unlike permissions, "name" identifies a file via getAbsoluteName() -- that led to problems in the past
+
**** boils down to the question how reiably we think we understand the remote system
+
**** similar to what we had with setReadOnly() -- need to know when we need to refresh
+
**** Martin: The SERVICE should decide whether it wants to re-query or use the (locally modified) object
+
**** Dave: But if it's delegated to the service, we need to make the UI aware of the changes
+
 
* '''Kevin:''' -  
 
* '''Kevin:''' -  
* '''Xuan:''' -  
+
* '''Xuan:''' - Need to add plugin org.eclipse.rse.useractions into build.  Needed by IBM (after M5)
 +
** Martin: will need to be a separate downloadable component.
 
* '''Martin:''' - Need to put Project Plan on the Web; Update Releng scripts to automatically run unit tests at night
 
* '''Martin:''' - Need to put Project Plan on the Web; Update Releng scripts to automatically run unit tests at night
 
* '''Uwe:''' -  
 
* '''Uwe:''' -  
 
* '''Rupen:''' - {{Bug|210682}} - Multi-file conflict resolution on Copy - dialog ready, jpeg posted on the bug
 
* '''Rupen:''' - {{Bug|210682}} - Multi-file conflict resolution on Copy - dialog ready, jpeg posted on the bug
 +
** Want to get current state (functional dialog) committed and treat changes via separate bugs. Issues with cross-subsystem copies
 
* '''Michael:''' -  
 
* '''Michael:''' -  
 
* '''Questions'''
 
* '''Questions'''
Line 73: Line 79:
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 
== Vacation, Away ==
  
* DaveD friday off; a week out of Rochester middle of Feb
+
* DaveD on vacation Feb 18-21
 
* Feb.18 is Family Day in Ontario
 
* Feb.18 is Family Day in Ontario
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 23-Jan-2008#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 23-Jan-2008#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
* '''DaveD''': fixes, unit tests
+
* '''Everyone''': consider fixes for 2.0.3 backport until end of this week; comment on {{bug|217894}} by DaveD
* '''DaveM''': Ask committers about multi-property-dialog; fixes, unit tests; ask Violaine about {{Bug|209704}}  
+
* '''DaveD''': Find references to IServiceSubSystem, review refactoring
* '''Xuan''': fixes, unit tests
+
* '''DaveM''': Investigate {{bug|190231}}, {{bug|211067}} SystemMessages UI/Core Separation
* '''Kevin''': fixes, unit tests
+
* '''Xuan''':  
* '''Martin''': Update bugzilla's; Write-up TM 3.0 Plan; Look at PropertyDescriptor issues; unit tests; Releng Fixes, Newsgroup
+
* '''Kevin''': webpage redesign (next week)
 +
* '''Martin''': Review {{bug|212742}} util for commands+results; TCF Bugzilla Component; New RSE Releng + unit tests; Write-up TM 3.0 Plan; Look at PropertyDescriptor issues;
 
* '''Javier''': fixes, unit tests; document the Symbian internal test setup similar to [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=204138#c20 CVS] -- see also [[CVS_Development#Testing]]
 
* '''Javier''': fixes, unit tests; document the Symbian internal test setup similar to [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=204138#c20 CVS] -- see also [[CVS_Development#Testing]]
 
* '''Michael''': Terminal improvements
 
* '''Michael''': Terminal improvements

Latest revision as of 17:09, 6 February 2008

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Feb 6, 2007 at 1600 UTC / 1100 Eastern
Dial-in: Martin to call everybody by Skype

Backup dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588 / Freephone +1 (866) 6161738 / UK 08712460713 / Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype dial-in: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Contents

[edit] Attendees

  • IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Kevin Doyle, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Eugene Tarassov
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus

[edit] Notes

[edit] Current Work

  • Skype Call Quality
    • Excellent even with 9 participants (8 + organizer). This is the Maximum that Skype supports, so we could meet on Skype only because Michael had another appointment.
  • M5 upcoming - Test and endgame plan?
    • Want M5 finished by Friday Feb 15 --> Risky checkins to be complete by Friday Feb 8 --> Test run on Tuesday Feb 12
    • First PII drop on Feb 25th, Deadline until end of M6; try to minimize any wholesale changes after Feb.25th
    • PII Changes for UI/Non-UI Splitting e.g. bug 190231 SubSystem, bug 211067 SystemMessages in Services
    • 3.0 M5 assigned open bugs
      • SystemMessages UI/Core separation - AI DaveM to investigate
        • DaveD prefer to have standard NLS strings only
  • TM 2.0.3 upcoming Feb.29 -- 2.0.3 assigned bugs, any else?
    • AI All file 'backport' bugs for 2.0.3 until end of this week
  • Eugene new committer
    • Martin wants TCF to be discussed more in the Open. Currently mostly Wind River engagement, but more to come (Power.org; ECSI Debug Standards Workshop).
    • TCF is mostly separate from RSE technology. AI Martin create separate Bugzilla component for TCF.
  • Can we commit to support Java 6 (just runtime)?
    • YES. Develop against Java 1.4 and test against Java 6. Main topic is incorporation of scripting. Eclipse Debugger supports finding references of objects.
  • TM Website
    • bug 216197 Bugs link on the side nav bar is broken by that latest changes
    • Kevin: Discussions fine so far, not touched the code yet?
    • Martin: Would like to get more dynamic information onto the homepage in an automated manner e.g. automated release notes with milestones. Avoid merging errors if starting work end this week.
  • Bug Fixing - Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan
  • Next BugDay/February_2008 on Feb 29
  • Javier busy until end of Feb; no time for Eclipse currently
  • DaveD's lazy init done. bug 217556 ServiceSubSystem
    • What if a subsystem does not have a service layer? - Return null for getServiceType()
    • Existing code that checks whether something has a service needs to be changed: AI DaveD Find references to IServiceSubSystem
    • bug 217894 Subsystem Configuration Families - subsystem category would be orthogonal to subsystem family -- family would be related to connector service -- AI All comment on the bug
    • Import/export connections rather than profiles - extend the persistence provider for import/export. Use a profile that only contains those things relevant to the exported elements, and merge it on import (or instantiate + copy).
      • Uwe: Contributors may have their own format for import/export already
      • This is maybe related to bug 160403 Filters should be connection-private by default
  • DaveM: -
    • bug 212742 Util for sending commands and receiving output without echo
      • Martin would like to see with M5 for EclipseCon tutorial; but it seems to work OK with SSH and dstore? AI Martin review the bug
    • bug 216252, bug 190231 and bug 211067 split resource strings and systemMessages into UI and Core - would like to get NLS refactorings done for the PII drop on Feb 25
    • EFS and encodings - No response from platform or TPF teams
    • (TPF) product teams extended SystemView in the past, no response from them
  • Kevin: -
  • Xuan: - Need to add plugin org.eclipse.rse.useractions into build. Needed by IBM (after M5)
    • Martin: will need to be a separate downloadable component.
  • Martin: - Need to put Project Plan on the Web; Update Releng scripts to automatically run unit tests at night
  • Uwe: -
  • Rupen: - bug 210682 - Multi-file conflict resolution on Copy - dialog ready, jpeg posted on the bug
    • Want to get current state (functional dialog) committed and treat changes via separate bugs. Issues with cross-subsystem copies
  • Michael: -
  • Questions

[edit] Vacation, Away

  • DaveD on vacation Feb 18-21
  • Feb.18 is Family Day in Ontario

[edit] Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • Everyone: consider fixes for 2.0.3 backport until end of this week; comment on bug 217894 by DaveD
  • DaveD: Find references to IServiceSubSystem, review refactoring
  • DaveM: Investigate bug 190231, bug 211067 SystemMessages UI/Core Separation
  • Xuan:
  • Kevin: webpage redesign (next week)
  • Martin: Review bug 212742 util for commands+results; TCF Bugzilla Component; New RSE Releng + unit tests; Write-up TM 3.0 Plan; Look at PropertyDescriptor issues;
  • Javier: fixes, unit tests; document the Symbian internal test setup similar to CVS -- see also CVS_Development#Testing
  • Michael: Terminal improvements

[edit] Next Meeting