Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 29-Mar-2007"

< DSDP‎ | TM
Line 50: Line 50:
 
* See also [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 20-Mar-2007#Upcoming_Work|Last Meeting]] for notes
 
* See also [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 20-Mar-2007#Upcoming_Work|Last Meeting]] for notes
 
* '''M6 must-have issues'''
 
* '''M6 must-have issues'''
 +
** All development and testing against Eclipse 3.3M6 now, please!
 
** NLS changes: mostly IBM
 
** NLS changes: mostly IBM
 
** Source tgz delivery?
 
** Source tgz delivery?
Line 69: Line 70:
 
**** Why did ui.filters.actions package remain public? Why ui.filters.dialogs?
 
**** Why did ui.filters.actions package remain public? Why ui.filters.dialogs?
 
**** Why did rse.ui.propertypages remain public?
 
**** Why did rse.ui.propertypages remain public?
**** Why is SystemTableView publi?
+
**** Why is SystemTableView public?
 
**** What to do with SystemCommunicationsDaemon?
 
**** What to do with SystemCommunicationsDaemon?
** Do importexport and useractions have API? Stuff we need to make internal?
+
** '''ImportExport and User Actions'''
 +
*** Do importexport and useractions have API? Stuff we need to make internal?
 +
*** Can we add it to the features / downloads?
 
** UI/Non-UI Refactorings
 
** UI/Non-UI Refactorings
*** connectorservice have some Javadoc stil referring to SuperAbstractConnectorService
+
*** connectorservice have some Javadoc still referring to SuperAbstractConnectorService
 
** '''API Changes'''
 
** '''API Changes'''
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=179910 179910] (Kushal) removing unnecessary upload/download - broke importexport
+
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=179910 179910] (Kushal) removing unnecessary upload/download - do we really need still 2 upload methods?
 
** [[TM 2.0 M6 Testing]] - What changes / features need to be especially tested?
 
** [[TM 2.0 M6 Testing]] - What changes / features need to be especially tested?
 
*** "internal" refactorings; new connectorservice; encodings; EFS;  
 
*** "internal" refactorings; new connectorservice; encodings; EFS;  

Revision as of 08:54, 29 March 2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday Mar 29, 2007 at 1400 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, (Ted Williams)

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help: being responsive
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site

News & Review Action Items

Martin 50% [done] User Actions CQ; multi-subsystem-discussion bug 174495; 3 Bugzillas against CDT; 50%
DaveD 100% UI/Non-UI; Made stuff internal 100%
DaveM 10% Made stuff internal 50%
Kushal 50% EFS; 179850 Streams on Subsystem Layer
Javier 50% SD submission 50%
Ted 0% - 0%
Uwe 5% - 5%
Michael 20% Terminal Performance 20%

Upcoming Work

  • See also Last Meeting for notes
  • M6 must-have issues
    • All development and testing against Eclipse 3.3M6 now, please!
    • NLS changes: mostly IBM
    • Source tgz delivery?
    • 170922 (DaveM, DaveD) Making stuff internal
      • take care of "discouraged access" warnings!
      • rse.core: Should RSESystemType be public?
      • files.ui: Activator should be internal. FileResources should be internal? Dialogs should be internal? SystemFileNewConnectionWizardPage - why not with ConnectorService, or dstore? SystemFileFilterStringEditPane should be public to derive from?
      • 170920 rse.logging is this really complete? Should the bug be split up or the summary changed?
      • processes.ui: Clean-up Manifest (export with ;x-internal="true"); Fix doc.isv; Kill etc actions should be internal. Activator should be internal. SystemProcessFilterStringEditPane should be public to derive from?
      • shells.ui: Activator should be internal; SystemViewRemoteOutputAdapter is public but SystemViewRemoteErrorAdapter not? Why is SystemCommandsView public?
      • subsystems.files.dstore: Almost everything internal, good! What about SearchResultsChangeListener, StatusChangeListener? What about package.html?
      • subsystems.shells.core: What about OutputRefreshJob, its currently needed
      • rse.ui/filters: Can we remove SystemFilterStartHere? Looks like convenience, since it is internal now can we remove it? Should SystemFilter be public so clients can derive from it?
      • rse.ui/UI: OK to have massagers internal? Shouldn't these be re-usable by clients?
        • SystemNewConnectionAction - how to officially do it (needed by remotecdt);
        • SystemResources to be internal? (Or we cannot change strings!)
        • Why did the RefreshAction remain public? Why did the dialogs remain public?
        • Why did the SystemFilterWorkWithFilterPoolsTreeViewer remain public?
        • Why did ui.filters.actions package remain public? Why ui.filters.dialogs?
        • Why did rse.ui.propertypages remain public?
        • Why is SystemTableView public?
        • What to do with SystemCommunicationsDaemon?
    • ImportExport and User Actions
      • Do importexport and useractions have API? Stuff we need to make internal?
      • Can we add it to the features / downloads?
    • UI/Non-UI Refactorings
      • connectorservice have some Javadoc still referring to SuperAbstractConnectorService
    • API Changes
      • 179910 (Kushal) removing unnecessary upload/download - do we really need still 2 upload methods?
    • TM 2.0 M6 Testing - What changes / features need to be especially tested?
      • "internal" refactorings; new connectorservice; encodings; EFS;
  • Plan Items
    • 170909 (DaveD, Kushal) User Actions: Still waiting for IP review. Found many icons related to UA and import/export in rse.ui which will need to be moved.
    • 170923 (DaveD) UI/Non-UI splitting: Conn.Svc almost done, others will fall nicely into place afterwards. rse.ui/plugin.xml/systemTypes need to go to core
    • 170932 (DaveD) Default Persistence Provider: mostly non-API
    • 170936 (DaveD) Macintosh - machine for unittests? - AI Kushal
    • 170926 (DaveM) Improve IFileService: mostly done; Returnvalue for copy; Streams on the Subsystem Layer - AI Kushal file 2 bugs
    • 150498 (Javier) More service-oriented; Multiple subsystems of the same kind - Javier raised bug 174495; 176490 new "dynamic wizard" request, see also "Improve SystemType" below
    • 170911 (Javier) Discovery
    • 170916 (Kushal) EFS
    • 163820 (Kushal) Encodings - AI Kushal UnitTests
    • 170915 (Martin) Adopt 3.3 Concepts: Jsch
    • 170922 (Martin) Optimize RSE API: ISystemRegistry
    • 170910 (Martin) Integrate Terminal
    • 170918 (Martin) Improve SystemType and Wizard: AI Martin Replace Name by IRSESystemType in IHost and wherever possible. AI DaveD Start persisting systemType id in addition to name
      • if() queries -> these are implementation details later, even replacing Name by Properties since the systemType does have Properties already
  • Other API things not directly marked as plan item
    • 173042 Improved / pluggable Refresh: AI Martin make a start, DaveM to review
    • 166338 Asynchronous Callbacks - AI Martin to start
    • expandTo() - AI Martin probably connected to async callbacks, non-UI multi path query and event changes for Refresh
  • Other Business
    • Cleanup: JDT Cleanup wizard, AI Martin start with one plugin
    • 170915 (DaveM) Getting rid of Platform "internal" access
    • add unit tests for all new or modified API

Priorities are folded into the Action Items below

Other Stuff to Do

  • 1. Play well with the Platform
    • capabilities; icu4j; Orbit; ssh prefs; drag&drop
    • retargetable actions/commands instead of actionsets;
  • 2. Improve overall quality (unit tests; special characters; long filenames; background jobs; parallel access; logging; ...)
  • 3. New Features
    • Persistence-as-xmlfile; Service enablement
  • 4. Cleanup/Optimization
    • Remove RSE Performance Logging; place contents of logging into core
    • Reduce number of plugins (once UI/Non-UI separation is done, and once we have Capabilities: have e.g. ssh.core and ssh.ui but not more)
      • Move org.eclipse.rse.connectorservice.local into org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core
      • org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core (collapse files.core, processes.core, shells.core)
      • org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.dstore (collapse files.dstore, processes.dsore, shells.dstore)
    • Build Process Improvements
      • Orbit bundles to be added differently
      • Unittests to run every night (Ted's scripts)
      • Version Number Changes to be done by Martin
    • 174945 General code cleanup - get rid of unused icons, comments, properties
    • Update Copyright Year to 2007 if you happen to think about it
    • Please continue on Compiler Warnings

Communications

  • Europa Requirements
    • Update Wiki to explain whether SDK contains examples --> AI Martin wait for Platform and adapt
  • For bugs, see the bug process page (assigned to inbox, plan items, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch, assigned to M6) -- 54 right now
  • Change Requests
  • Vacations, Holidays etc.
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
    • IBM contribution of Remote Source Locators and Remote Java Launch - AI DaveM talk with DaveD, get this started

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • Everyone - Review recent pending API change bugzilla's and comment on them if there are any issues
  • DaveD - Refactoring UI/Non-UI
  • DaveM - Talk with DaveD regarding open-sourcing Remote Source Lookup and Java Launch;
  • Kushal - EFS; Encoding Tests; Allocate Mac for nightly tests; Talk to DaveD re Comm Server; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Martin - Website updates (M5, Eclipsecon, Webinar); Work on Refresh, ExpandTo, Callbacks; Adopt new Platform SSH organization; Replace systemType name by IRSESystemType in IHost; Integrate Terminal in RSE; Test JDT Cleanup Wizard on one plugin; Update feature.properties for Europa; Migrate build to Ted's scripts; Bugs & Unit Tests; Personal Interviews via Skype; RXTX contribution;
  • Javier - Improve SD; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Ted -
  • Michael - Terminal Performance Improvements
  • Uwe -

Next Meeting