Jump to: navigation, search

DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 28-Feb-2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 at 1430 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Ted Williams

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help: being responsive
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site

Looking back on TM 2.0M5

  • THANKS to the entire team!
    • Kushal finished the first plan item, and made good progress on the second one
    • First actual bug discovered by a JUnit test
    • Everybody worked very focused on hi-priority things - first things first
    • Doing Release Notes was fun thanks to excellent bugzilla [api] documentation
    • Testing effort was split up among the entire team
    • Even though some fixes came late (NewConnectionWizard with hickups; Systemview IContextObject; userdoc issues due to M5) we did an excellent job in testing
  • Some 2.0M5 statistics:
    • 94 bugs fixed for M5, including 28 API bugs (66 verified/closed, 28 not (yet) verified)
    • 79 new bugs opened during testing; of these, 33 were fixed during testing and 5 more this week - great contributions from everyone
    • (only) 6 bugs reopened during testing


News & Review Action Items

Martin 100% 50%
DaveD 80% Tested build. Documentation updates. UI/Core refactoring. 100%
DaveM 50% 50%
Kushal 100% 100%
Javier 50% 50%
Ted 0% 0%
Uwe 0% 0%
Michael 20% 20%
  • Growing Communities: Robert Norton doing Launch Actions; Oliver Hardt doing EFS; 1245 downloads of RSE 1.0.1
  • Getting the APIs right

Upcoming Work

  • Top priority this week is getting API things done for M6. Plan items are currently more important than bug priorities.
    • 173042 (Uwe) Improved / pluggable Refresh
    • 170909 (DaveD) User Actions & Import/Export
    • 170923 (DaveD) UI/Non-UI splitting
    • 170922 (DaveM, Martin) Making as much as possible "internal": SystemView, SystemFilterReferenceAdapter, Subsystem Impls
    • 170915 (DaveM) Getting rid of Platform "internal" access
      • AI Martin fix the ISV docs
    • 170916 (Kushal) EFS
      • Oliver Hardt looking at it; Kushal prepared Streams for ftp, ssh
    • Martin & DaveM work on EclipseCon tutorial: fix bugs as needed
    • 170832 (Martin) Read-only setting on ssh - what about using EFS on the back-end? (dstore doesnt do streams)
      • AI Martin: timestamp, ro-flags still TBD for ssh
    • add unit tests for all new or modified API

Other Stuff to Do

    • 1. API Improvements
      • SystemType improvements; retargetable actions/commands;
      • Asynchronous API/callbacks; How is the client informed about job completion?
      • IHostShell changes for Terminal;
    • 2. Play well with the Platform
      • retargetable actions/commands; capabilities; icu4j; Orbit; ssh prefs; drag&drop
    • 3. Improve overall quality (unit tests; special characters; long filenames; background jobs; parallel access; logging; ...)
    • 4. New Features
      • Terminal-in-rse; Persistence-as-xmlfile; Service enablement
    • Remove RSE Performance Logging; place contents of logging into core
    • Reduce number of plugins (once UI/Non-UI separation is done, have e.g. ssh.core and ssh.ui but not more)
      • Move org.eclipse.rse.connectorservice.local into org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core
      • org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core (collapse files.core, processes.core, shells.core)
      • org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.dstore (collapse files.dstore, processes.dsore, shells.dstore)
  • Add Montavista shell processes subsystem
    • Orbit bundles to be added differently
    • Unittests to run every night
    • Version Number Changes to be done by Martin
    • Copyright Year Changes
  • General code cleanup -- to do right after M4:
    • Get rid of unused icons, e.g. rse.ui/icons/full/obj16/system390_obj.gif, IBM_logo.gif
    • Get rid of commented out source code
    • Get rid of unused properties (chkpii)

Communications

  • Europa Requirements
    • Avoiding non-API from other projects
      • AI create bugzilla against CDT
    • Update Wiki to explan whether SDK contains examples --> AI Martin wait for Platform and adapt
  • For bugs, see the bug process page (assigned to inbox, plan items, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch, assigned to M5) -- pretty many right now
  • Update Copyright Year to 2007 if you happen to think about it
  • (done) Fix N-builds (second workspace, use Ted's scripts)
  • Please continue on Compiler Warnings
  • Change Requests
  • Vacations, Holidays etc.
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - Remove RSE Performance Logging; Refactoring UI/Non-UI; Persistence; Bugzilla bug for User Actions Contribution until Jan.31st; Bugs & Unit tests;
  • DaveM - EclipseCon; Bugs & Unit tests
  • Kushal - EFS; Talk to DaveD re Comm Server; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Martin - EclipseCon tutorial; Check r/o flags and timestamps for ssh; Commit Montavista contrib; Migrate build to Ted's scripts; Migrate Commons.net to single-file-jar; Bugs & Unit Tests; Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on TM and RSE FAQ, improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute);
  • Javier - Make discovery internal; Improve SD; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Ted -
  • Michael - Terminal Performance Improvements
  • Uwe - Retargetable actions, Improved Refresh

Next Meeting