Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 26-Mar-2008"

< DSDP‎ | TM
 
(4 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 16: Line 16:
 
Skype dial-in: '''martin.oberhuber''', ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.<br/>
 
Skype dial-in: '''martin.oberhuber''', ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.<br/>
  
== Invited Attendees ==
+
== Attendees ==
* IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Kevin Doyle, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian
+
* IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian, (Kevin Doyle n/a)
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Eugene Tarassov
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, (Uwe Stieber n/a), (Eugene Tarassov n/a)
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus
  
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
  
== Agenda ==
+
== Notes ==
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Mar-2008]]
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Mar-2008]]
 
=== Current Work ===
 
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
** Better redial if quality problems
+
** Good most of the time with few dropouts (7 participants). Javier had trouble connecting, needed 4 retries.
* '''EclipseCon 2008 Report'''
+
 
** Best EclipseCon Ever :-)
+
=== '''EclipseCon 2008 in a Nutshell''' ===
 +
* Best EclipseCon Ever :-)
 +
* DSDP and TM stuff:
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=38 TM Tutorial] - focus on 50% TCF and 50% rse; about 30 people, very positive feedback
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=38 TM Tutorial] - focus on 50% TCF and 50% rse; about 30 people, very positive feedback
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=39 TM Short Talk] - may re-use slides
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=39 TM Short Talk] - may re-use slides
Line 36: Line 36:
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=323 CDT Remote / RDT] call for participation, being discussed on cdt-dev list for now
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=323 CDT Remote / RDT] call for participation, being discussed on cdt-dev list for now
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=582 DSDP BOF] - towards two "packages" of DSDP projects for mobile Java / device development, likely with P2 installer but on SourceForge due to needing GPL for cross-compilers / emulators
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=582 DSDP BOF] - towards two "packages" of DSDP projects for mobile Java / device development, likely with P2 installer but on SourceForge due to needing GPL for cross-compilers / emulators
** Big Press hype about Microsoft envolvement in Eclipse but rather [http://douggaff.blogspot.com/2008/03/eclipsecon-08-we-barely-knew-ye.html disappointing keynote] by Sam Ramji - no commitment yet by MS but wants to help out in SWT-WPF port and Higgins-Cardspace
 
** E4: IBM/RAP want to webalize SWT, which may be a good thing in terms of architecture but is not the whole story: need to collect requirements from all the community in a suitable forum, and a face-to-face kickoff meeting
 
*** In general, it looks like the community is dozing a little wrt Platform - no exciting new talks, no exciting new features but much more breadth of community. Also, OSGi is gaining even more momentum, new Eclipse RT (Runtime) toplevel project started
 
** Played with [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=117 DTP / SQL Query Builder], [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=173 BIRT Charting]
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=272 Eclipse Command Language (ECL)] looked very interesting
 
** Automated UI testing: [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=440 RCP Robot and FIT] was extremely hot - FIT tables in Excel (idea by Ward Cunningham) together with [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=238 Fixtures maintained by the developer] and [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=254 SWT Bot] for the actual test execution
 
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=213 RTSC] and [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=37 NAB] were excellent talks from DSDP
 
** [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=213 RTSC] and [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=37 NAB] were excellent talks from DSDP
** Had some discussions with Scott Lewis about [http://www.eclipse.org/ecf ECF] especially comparing against TCF and integrating into RSE: we should really do an RSE ECF file provider, they got the browsing APIs now
+
* Big Press hype about Microsoft envolvement in Eclipse but rather [http://douggaff.blogspot.com/2008/03/eclipsecon-08-we-barely-knew-ye.html disappointing keynote] by Sam Ramji - though the EMO likes to [http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/IanSkerrett/~3/254405704/ see things positive]. Still, the [http://ed-merks.blogspot.com/2008/03/eclipsecon-wednesday.html facts are]: no commitment yet by MS but wants to help out in SWT-WPF port and Higgins-Cardspace
* '''M6 Focus'''
+
* Eclipse 4.0 aka [[E4]]: IBM/RAP want to webalize SWT, which may be a good thing in terms of architecture but is not the whole story: need to collect requirements from all the community in a suitable forum, and a face-to-face kickoff meeting
** M6 is Apr 07 -- Testing Apr 1 or 2 -- Should do better than last time
+
** In general, it looks like the community is dozing a little wrt Platform - no exciting new talks, no exciting new features but much more breadth of community. Also, OSGi is gaining even more momentum, new Eclipse RT (Runtime) toplevel project started
** Currently [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=3.0+M6&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit 39 bugs assigned M6] - especially DaveD - what can we really get done
+
* Played with [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=117 DTP / SQL Query Builder], [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=173 BIRT Charting]
** NLS Fixes - few still missing, see [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dsdp-tm-dev/msg01723.html mailing list] - '''must have for M6'''
+
* [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=272 Eclipse Command Language (ECL)] looked very interesting
** '''Unit Tests''' - next priority after API
+
* Automated UI testing: [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=440 RCP Robot and FIT] was extremely hot - FIT tables in Excel (idea by Ward Cunningham) together with [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=238 Fixtures maintained by the developer] and [http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=254 SWT Bot] for the actual test execution
** Will migrate to new Releng after M6 (adopt P2, nightly tests, signing etc... too risky for now, focus on API)
+
* Had some discussions with Scott Lewis about [http://www.eclipse.org/ecf ECF] especially comparing against TCF and integrating into RSE: we should really do an RSE ECF file provider, they got the browsing APIs now
** Adopting [[Api Tooling]]: Martin tried it out for some plugins - renaming (CANCELLED->CANCELED) is not very well reflected - martin filed {{Bug|222905}} - but we might want to rev down org.eclipse.rse.services from 3.0.0 back to 2.1.0
+
* Most funny EclipseCon stuff: [http://jonathancarter.co.za/vista-toilet-paper Vista SP1 Features], How to [http://eclipsewebmaster.blogspot.com/2008/03/eclipse-ip-done-easy.html get IP approved quicly], the most [http://pookzilla.net/wp/2008/03/are-you-experienced/ awsome guy at Eclipse] and its [http://inside-swt.blogspot.com/2008/03/fake-steve-northover.html Fake], stuff from the [http://eclipse-ecosystem.blogspot.com/2008/03/fake-steve-uncensored-eclipsecon.html Fake Steve Jobs] blog
* '''Hi-pri-bugs; community contributions; apply patches'''
+
** {{Bug|210682}} Rupen's multi-file copy/move/overwrite dialog
+
** {{Bug|214887}} WinCE Subsystem - pending EMO Review
+
** {{Bug|170910}} RSE Terminal Integration - Montavista Contribution pending this friday for API change to allow Streams API for IHostShell
+
** See the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/bug_process.php Bug Process Page] for a query for open bugs with patches attached
+
* '''Bug Discussions'''
+
** {{bug|190231}} subsystem UI -> Core: '''AI DaveD''' help with Wizard Pages and the way they are registered; make them adaptable somehow
+
** {{Bug|220892}} reving down dstore protocol version - '''AI DaveM''' implement version handshake as discussed - this is API!
+
*** (done: Handler Hook for registering handshake handler / error handler; may need new API for protocol handshake)
+
** {{Bug|221211}} MultiStatus for IFileService batch operations - exception on first failure for modifying operations. No exceptions/multistatus on non-modifying operations. '''AI DaveD/DaveM''' update Javadocs when it's clear what we want
+
** {{Bug|220379}} Make DStoreFileService API - encodingHandler - wait on reporter, '''AI Martin''' comment on bug (object reference idea)
+
** {{Bug|220547}} SimpleSystemMessage message ID - globally unique message id vs. plugin-local status - Dialog Title: MessageID if globally unique / generic title based on severity if plugin-local
+
** {{bug|220995}} Xuan: Can we remove some interface provided by SystemSelectRemoteFileAction and SystemSelectRemoteFolderAction
+
** {{bug|218947}} IRemotePath idea - '''AI DaveM''' create new defect for the API change
+
*** DaveM: Naming convention -- IHostPath instead of IRemotePath since located in the Service?
+
*** Looks like we won't get to this for M6
+
  
* '''Planning''' - '''AI Martin''' to write up what we discussed in Toronto
+
=== '''M6 Focus''' ===
** Think about assigning bugs to target milestones. What goes into 3.0 and what not? - DaveD Mylyn is nice for bug review!
+
* M6 is Apr 07 -- Testing Apr 1 or 2 -- Should do better than last time
** {{Bug|215301}} New Standard Project Plan Format
+
* Currently [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=3.0+M6&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit 39 bugs assigned M6] - especially DaveD - what can we really get done
* TM Website
+
* NLS Fixes - few still missing, see [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dsdp-tm-dev/msg01723.html mailing list] - '''must have for M6''' - '''AI Javier, DaveM'''
** '''AI Kevin''' follow up on his website proposals
+
* '''Unit Tests''' - next priority after API
* Bug Fixing - '''Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan'''
+
* Will migrate to new Releng after M6 (adopt P2, nightly tests, signing etc... too risky for now, focus on API)
** Since our [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]] it's now 27 weeks / 5 milestones, so each committer is due 54 fixes / 10 unittests
+
* Adopting [[Api Tooling]]: Martin tried it out for some plugins - renaming (CANCELLED->CANCELED) is not very well reflected - martin filed {{Bug|222905}} - but we might want to rev down org.eclipse.rse.services from 3.0.0 back to 2.1.0
** Current situation is on [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2007-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&format=table&action=wrap&negate0=1&field0-0-0=resolution&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=DUPLICATE this bugzilla report]
+
** No action item for us right now, Martin will adopt after M6
** Unittests: when adding a test, please add the tag '''//-test-author:YourName''' in front of it
+
 
*** DaveM - 5
+
=== '''Hi-pri-bugs; community contributions; apply patches''' ===
*** DaveD - 22
+
* {{Bug|210682}} Rupen's multi-file copy/move/overwrite dialog '''AI Rupen''' merge again, '''AI DaveM''' apply patch soon
*** KevinD - 11
+
* {{Bug|214887}} WinCE Subsystem - pending EMO Review
*** MartinO - 3
+
* {{Bug|170910}} RSE Terminal Integration - Montavista Contribution pending this friday for API change to allow Streams API for IHostShell
*** TobiasS - 3
+
** Michael: we should probably help them making their Job easier by providing API for programmatic terminal connection
*** UweS - 7
+
* See the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/bug_process.php Bug Process Page] for a query for open bugs with patches attached
*** XuanC - 51
+
 
*** '''Total - 101'''
+
=== '''Bug Discussions''' ===
*** Javier - 0
+
* {{bug|190231}} subsystem UI -> Core: '''AI Martin''' to ask Dave if questions - idea is an IAdaptable to adapt the Wizard Pages into something consumable in non-UI for configuring subsystems, e.g. Property Sets
* '''Javier''' almost finished on Symbian assignment, will have some time for RSE but needs to talk to Manager
+
* {{Bug|220892}} reving down dstore protocol version - will keep as-is at DataStore.8.0.0 for now, doing protocol handshake after Ganymede. '''AI DaveM''' create a new bug for the protocol handshake assign to Future
 +
** Waiting for Code Contribution from another team - '''AI DaveM''' make them contribute real soon
 +
** Martin: Will not accept any new feature into M6 after this Friday. After M6, API changes are subject to discussion, nobody has a right to change API so in the worst case they may have missed the train and need to fork off their private branch of RSE / DStore.
 +
* {{Bug|221211}} MultiStatus for IFileService batch operations - exception on first failure for modifying operations. No exceptions/multistatus on non-modifying operations. '''AI DaveD/DaveM''' update Javadocs when it's clear what we want
 +
* {{Bug|220379}} Make DStoreFileService API - encodingHandler - wait on reporter - '''AI DaveM''' ask reporters
 +
* {{Bug|220547}} SimpleSystemMessage message ID - globally unique message id vs. plugin-local status - Dialog Title: MessageID if globally unique / generic title based on severity if plugin-local - '''AI DaveM''' think about
 +
* {{bug|218947}} IRemotePath idea - not for M6.
 +
** DaveM: Naming convention -- IHostPath instead of IRemotePath since located in the Service?
 +
 
 +
* '''Bugzilla''':
 +
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
 +
 
 +
=== Committer Status and Report ===
 +
* '''Javier''' leaving Symbian, going to work in Barcelona - will remain involved with DSDP; somebody else from Symbian to take over
 +
** Fix NLS issues '''AI Javier'''
 +
** {{Bug|212382}} ftpListingParser initCommands '''AI Javier'''  
 
** Martin updating Commons Net to 1.5.0
 
** Martin updating Commons Net to 1.5.0
** {{Bug|212382}} ftpListingParser initCommands
 
 
* '''DaveD'''
 
* '''DaveD'''
** {{bug|217894}} Subsystem Configuration Families - subsystem category would be orthogonal to subsystem family -- family would be related to connector service -- change wizard pages from API into plugin.xml markup? '''AI All''' comment on the bug
+
** {{bug|217894}} Subsystem Configuration Families - not for M6 - '''AI All''' comment on the bug
** Import/export connections rather than profiles - extend the persistence provider for import/export. Use one format for export only in the UI,, perhaps allow multiple providers for import (for migration), perhaps allow multiple kinds of export via API.
+
** {{bug|189274}} Import/export connections internal but TBD for M6
 
* '''DaveM:''' -  
 
* '''DaveM:''' -  
** EFS and encodings - No response from platform - suggstion alternative EFS provider, continue discussion on the defect
+
** {{bug|222404}} Associate property sets with RSE objects and keep those associated in the event of a rename or move - an interesting feature in exchange for events - DaveD: Looks interesting but need to look at closely; Martin - should do Events suggestion for now; maybe could use an adapter factory for data payload, but need more investigation
* '''Kevin:''' - {{Bug|221190}} EFS getChild() with relative path - perhaps need to check whether our impl still works properly
+
** EFS and encodings - No response from platform - off our radar for now
* '''Xuan:''' - Will mostly be busy with IBM / Migration work; add useractions to PII mapfile
+
* '''Kevin:''' -  
* '''Martin:''' - Need to put Project Plan on the Web; Update Releng scripts to automatically run unit tests at night
+
* '''Xuan:''' - Will only have time for PropertyFileAdapter stuff: Property adapters for User actions -- will need some NLS changes
 +
** Compile Commands Problem: Key in property sets is case insensitive in hashmap
 +
** IPZilla: Getting only notifications for WinCE - Martin: Commons Net 1.5 not yet filed, JSch-0.1.37 is approved and in Platform M6
 +
* '''Martin:''' - {{bug|215301}} New project plan format -- Need to put Project Plan on the Web; '''AI Martin''' written ramp-down plan; Update Releng scripts to automatically run unit tests at night
 
** Searchcvs, Relnotes done; Little more work needed on web-build and promote.sh
 
** Searchcvs, Relnotes done; Little more work needed on web-build and promote.sh
** JSch-0.1.37, Commons.Net 1.5.0
+
** JSch-0.1.37 done in Platform M6, Commons.Net 1.5.0 not yet released - '''AI Martin''' create placeholder CQ
 
** Next tasks - Move SubsystemConfiguration implementation into non-UI; Lazy loading of SubsystemConfiguration (use the Proxy more); Lazy loading of UI adapters; some exceptions observed by Uwe (Wind River) in our nightly wheels
 
** Next tasks - Move SubsystemConfiguration implementation into non-UI; Lazy loading of SubsystemConfiguration (use the Proxy more); Lazy loading of UI adapters; some exceptions observed by Uwe (Wind River) in our nightly wheels
 +
** {{Bug|221190}} EFS getChild() with relative path - perhaps need to check whether our impl still works properly
 
* '''Uwe:''' -  
 
* '''Uwe:''' -  
* '''Rupen:''' -  
+
* '''Rupen:''' - Merging multi-copy & rename
 
* '''Michael:''' -  
 
* '''Michael:''' -  
 
* '''Questions'''
 
* '''Questions'''
 
* '''Bugzilla''':
 
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
 
  
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 +
 +
* Martin in SFO Apr 14-18 for ESC and PluginFest
 +
* DaveD probably taking some time off
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Mar-2008#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Mar-2008#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
* '''Everyone''': Review {{bug|216252}} SystemMessages refactoring
+
* '''Everyone''': Review {{bug|217894}} subsystem configuration families
* '''DaveD''':  
+
* '''Rupen''': Merge {{bug|210682}} multi-copy patch
* '''DaveM''': Use Properties for Unit Tests
+
* '''DaveD''': Finish profile import/export; Update {{bug|221211}} IFileService multi-commands Javadoc
* '''Xuan''': Use Properties for Unit Tests
+
* '''DaveM''': NLS fixes in dstore.security; contact IBM teams for {{bug|220892}} new dstore features, and {{bug|220379}} DStoreFileService API; apply Rupen's patch; think about {{bug|216252}} SystemMessages global vs. local message ID; create a new "Future" bug for dstore protocol handshake, cloned from {{bug|220892}}
 +
* '''Xuan''': Finish PropertyFileAdapter stuff; Use Kevin's Properties for Unit Tests
 
* '''Kevin''': Website Updates
 
* '''Kevin''': Website Updates
* '''Martin''': finish new releng; Write-up TM 3.0 Plan; Look at PropertyDescriptor issues; unit tests
+
* '''Martin''': New Project Plan; Ganymede Rampdown Plan; Commons Net Placeholder CQ; UI/Non-UI Splitting; finish new releng; Look at PropertyDescriptor issues; unit tests
* '''Javier''': {{bug|212382}} ftp initCommands; add unit tests; document the Symbian internal test setup similar to [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=204138#c20 CVS] -- see also [[CVS_Development#Testing]]
+
* '''Javier''': NLS fixes in discovery and FTP; {{bug|212382}} ftp initCommands; add unit tests; document the Symbian internal test setup similar to [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=204138#c20 CVS] -- see also [[CVS_Development#Testing]]
 
* '''Michael''': Terminal improvements
 
* '''Michael''': Terminal improvements
  

Latest revision as of 12:55, 26 March 2008

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Mar 26, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1100 Rochester / 1200 Toronto / 1600 London / 1700 Salzburg
Dial-in: Martin to call everybody by Skype

Backup dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588 / Freephone +1 (866) 6161738 / UK 08712460713 / Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype dial-in: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Attendees

  • IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian, (Kevin Doyle n/a)
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, (Uwe Stieber n/a), (Eugene Tarassov n/a)
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

EclipseCon 2008 in a Nutshell

  • Best EclipseCon Ever :-)
  • DSDP and TM stuff:
    • TM Tutorial - focus on 50% TCF and 50% rse; about 30 people, very positive feedback
    • TM Short Talk - may re-use slides
    • Blog Post about TCF
    • CDT Remote / RDT call for participation, being discussed on cdt-dev list for now
    • DSDP BOF - towards two "packages" of DSDP projects for mobile Java / device development, likely with P2 installer but on SourceForge due to needing GPL for cross-compilers / emulators
    • RTSC and NAB were excellent talks from DSDP
  • Big Press hype about Microsoft envolvement in Eclipse but rather disappointing keynote by Sam Ramji - though the EMO likes to see things positive. Still, the facts are: no commitment yet by MS but wants to help out in SWT-WPF port and Higgins-Cardspace
  • Eclipse 4.0 aka E4: IBM/RAP want to webalize SWT, which may be a good thing in terms of architecture but is not the whole story: need to collect requirements from all the community in a suitable forum, and a face-to-face kickoff meeting
    • In general, it looks like the community is dozing a little wrt Platform - no exciting new talks, no exciting new features but much more breadth of community. Also, OSGi is gaining even more momentum, new Eclipse RT (Runtime) toplevel project started
  • Played with DTP / SQL Query Builder, BIRT Charting
  • Eclipse Command Language (ECL) looked very interesting
  • Automated UI testing: RCP Robot and FIT was extremely hot - FIT tables in Excel (idea by Ward Cunningham) together with Fixtures maintained by the developer and SWT Bot for the actual test execution
  • Had some discussions with Scott Lewis about ECF especially comparing against TCF and integrating into RSE: we should really do an RSE ECF file provider, they got the browsing APIs now
  • Most funny EclipseCon stuff: Vista SP1 Features, How to get IP approved quicly, the most awsome guy at Eclipse and its Fake, stuff from the Fake Steve Jobs blog

M6 Focus

  • M6 is Apr 07 -- Testing Apr 1 or 2 -- Should do better than last time
  • Currently 39 bugs assigned M6 - especially DaveD - what can we really get done
  • NLS Fixes - few still missing, see mailing list - must have for M6 - AI Javier, DaveM
  • Unit Tests - next priority after API
  • Will migrate to new Releng after M6 (adopt P2, nightly tests, signing etc... too risky for now, focus on API)
  • Adopting Api Tooling: Martin tried it out for some plugins - renaming (CANCELLED->CANCELED) is not very well reflected - martin filed bug 222905 - but we might want to rev down org.eclipse.rse.services from 3.0.0 back to 2.1.0
    • No action item for us right now, Martin will adopt after M6

Hi-pri-bugs; community contributions; apply patches

  • bug 210682 Rupen's multi-file copy/move/overwrite dialog AI Rupen merge again, AI DaveM apply patch soon
  • bug 214887 WinCE Subsystem - pending EMO Review
  • bug 170910 RSE Terminal Integration - Montavista Contribution pending this friday for API change to allow Streams API for IHostShell
    • Michael: we should probably help them making their Job easier by providing API for programmatic terminal connection
  • See the Bug Process Page for a query for open bugs with patches attached

Bug Discussions

  • bug 190231 subsystem UI -> Core: AI Martin to ask Dave if questions - idea is an IAdaptable to adapt the Wizard Pages into something consumable in non-UI for configuring subsystems, e.g. Property Sets
  • bug 220892 reving down dstore protocol version - will keep as-is at DataStore.8.0.0 for now, doing protocol handshake after Ganymede. AI DaveM create a new bug for the protocol handshake assign to Future
    • Waiting for Code Contribution from another team - AI DaveM make them contribute real soon
    • Martin: Will not accept any new feature into M6 after this Friday. After M6, API changes are subject to discussion, nobody has a right to change API so in the worst case they may have missed the train and need to fork off their private branch of RSE / DStore.
  • bug 221211 MultiStatus for IFileService batch operations - exception on first failure for modifying operations. No exceptions/multistatus on non-modifying operations. AI DaveD/DaveM update Javadocs when it's clear what we want
  • bug 220379 Make DStoreFileService API - encodingHandler - wait on reporter - AI DaveM ask reporters
  • bug 220547 SimpleSystemMessage message ID - globally unique message id vs. plugin-local status - Dialog Title: MessageID if globally unique / generic title based on severity if plugin-local - AI DaveM think about
  • bug 218947 IRemotePath idea - not for M6.
    • DaveM: Naming convention -- IHostPath instead of IRemotePath since located in the Service?

Committer Status and Report

  • Javier leaving Symbian, going to work in Barcelona - will remain involved with DSDP; somebody else from Symbian to take over
    • Fix NLS issues AI Javier
    • bug 212382 ftpListingParser initCommands AI Javier
    • Martin updating Commons Net to 1.5.0
  • DaveD
    • bug 217894 Subsystem Configuration Families - not for M6 - AI All comment on the bug
    • bug 189274 Import/export connections internal but TBD for M6
  • DaveM: -
    • bug 222404 Associate property sets with RSE objects and keep those associated in the event of a rename or move - an interesting feature in exchange for events - DaveD: Looks interesting but need to look at closely; Martin - should do Events suggestion for now; maybe could use an adapter factory for data payload, but need more investigation
    • EFS and encodings - No response from platform - off our radar for now
  • Kevin: -
  • Xuan: - Will only have time for PropertyFileAdapter stuff: Property adapters for User actions -- will need some NLS changes
    • Compile Commands Problem: Key in property sets is case insensitive in hashmap
    • IPZilla: Getting only notifications for WinCE - Martin: Commons Net 1.5 not yet filed, JSch-0.1.37 is approved and in Platform M6
  • Martin: - bug 215301 New project plan format -- Need to put Project Plan on the Web; AI Martin written ramp-down plan; Update Releng scripts to automatically run unit tests at night
    • Searchcvs, Relnotes done; Little more work needed on web-build and promote.sh
    • JSch-0.1.37 done in Platform M6, Commons.Net 1.5.0 not yet released - AI Martin create placeholder CQ
    • Next tasks - Move SubsystemConfiguration implementation into non-UI; Lazy loading of SubsystemConfiguration (use the Proxy more); Lazy loading of UI adapters; some exceptions observed by Uwe (Wind River) in our nightly wheels
    • bug 221190 EFS getChild() with relative path - perhaps need to check whether our impl still works properly
  • Uwe: -
  • Rupen: - Merging multi-copy & rename
  • Michael: -
  • Questions

Vacation, Away

  • Martin in SFO Apr 14-18 for ESC and PluginFest
  • DaveD probably taking some time off

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • Everyone: Review bug 217894 subsystem configuration families
  • Rupen: Merge bug 210682 multi-copy patch
  • DaveD: Finish profile import/export; Update bug 221211 IFileService multi-commands Javadoc
  • DaveM: NLS fixes in dstore.security; contact IBM teams for bug 220892 new dstore features, and bug 220379 DStoreFileService API; apply Rupen's patch; think about bug 216252 SystemMessages global vs. local message ID; create a new "Future" bug for dstore protocol handshake, cloned from bug 220892
  • Xuan: Finish PropertyFileAdapter stuff; Use Kevin's Properties for Unit Tests
  • Kevin: Website Updates
  • Martin: New Project Plan; Ganymede Rampdown Plan; Commons Net Placeholder CQ; UI/Non-UI Splitting; finish new releng; Look at PropertyDescriptor issues; unit tests
  • Javier: NLS fixes in discovery and FTP; bug 212382 ftp initCommands; add unit tests; document the Symbian internal test setup similar to CVS -- see also CVS_Development#Testing
  • Michael: Terminal improvements

Next Meeting