Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 25-Oct-2006"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
(Attendees)
 
Line 4: Line 4:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Date & Time:  
 
| Date & Time:  
| Wednesday [[Oct 25, 2006]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2006&month=10&day=18&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 8.00am San Francisco / 10.00am Rochester / 11.00am Toronto / 4.00pm London / 5.00pm Salzburg]
+
| Wednesday [[Oct 25, 2006]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2006&month=10&day=25&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 8.00am San Francisco / 10.00am Rochester / 11.00am Toronto / 4.00pm London / 5.00pm Salzburg]
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Dial-in:
 
| Dial-in:
Line 17: Line 17:
 
* IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
 
* IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Ted Williams, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Ted Williams, Uwe Stieber (absent), Michael Scharf (absent)
* Tradescape - Lothar Werzinger (tentative)
+
* Tradescape - Lothar Werzinger (tentative, did not come)
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
Line 26: Line 26:
 
** Get our '''Processes''' in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
 
** Get our '''Processes''' in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
 
* Latest News
 
* Latest News
** Martin -- [[RSE 1.0 Testing round 2]]
+
** Martin -- Eclipse.org about files review; updating TM website; joining Orbit for Commons Net
** DaveD --  
+
** DaveD -- fixed few bugs for IBM (accessibility), full time now on P2 bugs
** DaveM --  
+
** DaveM -- bug work; pondering some "intended behavior" things
** Kushal --  
+
*** '''New scheme for deferring bugs''': set Target Milestone="---" and probably lower priority. This is because "RESOLVED LATER" is uncomfortable to handle -- cannot reopen multiple at once, comment needed for reopen, easily confused against regression of bugs
** Javier --  
+
** Kushal -- fixing P2s first, then going to look at easy P3
** Ted --  
+
** Javier -- fixing P2s; looking at P3s now; stress testing on FTP;
** Uwe --
+
** Ted -- no news
** Michael --  
+
** Uwe -- not available
 +
** Michael -- not available
 
** Other News --
 
** Other News --
 +
*** Stefan Reichert, maintainer of Wicked Shell, wants to join RSE as contributor
 +
*** Lothar Werzinger of Tradescape submitted 2 patches, which is making him contributor
 
* Top Priorities this week:
 
* Top Priorities this week:
** '''#1 - Hi-priority bugfixing'''
+
** '''#1 - Hi-priority bugfixing''' - please observe the priorities.
** '''Deciding a schedule for the Release'''
+
** '''#2 - Being responsive'''
*** Suggestion: Weekly release candidates each Friday, release as soon as we have a "go" from all committers
+
*** When you are personally addressed in a bug comment, please answer timely. Bugzilla E-Mail notifications should tell you so. It's important to answer and give your comment but not invest too much time -- the bulk of your time should still go into hi-priority bugfixing.
*** Shooting for Oct.27 - outlook?
+
*** Saved searches: Every committer should have at least 3 saved searches: '''Assigned to me''', '''RSE P1/P2''', '''RSE Open changed last week'''
*** Exit criteria: all P1/P2 bugs fixed; defer bugs to a service release?
+
*** You can then e.g. sort the '''Assigned to me''' search by Status to see what's in NEW state and should be accepted (set ASSIGNED)
*** Discuss pros and cons of an early release
+
*** See the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/bug_process.php Bug Process Page] for templates of these searches. You can just click on them and "Save as..." in bugzilla for your personal use
 
* Upcoming Work
 
* Upcoming Work
 
** '''New bugs''': REVIEW [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=dsdp.tm.rse-inbox%40eclipse.org&cmdtype=doit Assigned to Inbox], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=NEW&cmdtype=doit Status NEW]
 
** '''New bugs''': REVIEW [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=dsdp.tm.rse-inbox%40eclipse.org&cmdtype=doit Assigned to Inbox], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=NEW&cmdtype=doit Status NEW]
Line 49: Line 52:
 
*** Events/Updates/Refresh; Dirty Editors
 
*** Events/Updates/Refresh; Dirty Editors
 
* Communications
 
* Communications
** please use UTF-8 as character set for projects
+
** Extend Uwe's commit rights to RSE? - Let him submit patches for 1 more week and decide then. Basically OK with plain [cleanup] changes in RSE, but need to be careful with changing terminology or API changes.
 +
*** Martin agrees that for API changes, the process is propose first - vote next - code only then.
 
* Change Requests
 
* Change Requests
** none as yet
+
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=161773 Bug 161773]: IHostShell.getLines() should return IHostOutput[] instead of Object[]
 +
** Ted Terminal view: Will go forward splitting it up such that the Transport can be contributed. Expects a version in 2 weeks
 +
* [[RSE 2.0 Planning]]
 +
** Europa Milestones fixed, our first Europa delivery is Jan.3rd to be compiled against Eclipse 3.3
 +
** We will have a service release (RSE 1.0.1) in december, out of the HEAD stream; then start a branch for RSE 1.0.2 (probably end of february, along with Eclipse 3.2.2)
 +
** So we will compile against Eclipse 3.2 until beginning of december, and not make any API changes till then
 +
** Focus till then will be on bug fixing, and starting the IP review process for User Actions and Import/Export
 +
** User Actions and Import/Export will not make it in december; to be ready for EclipseCon
 +
** RSE 1.0.1 content will be bug fixes and the new Terminal
 
* Vacations, Holidays etc.
 
* Vacations, Holidays etc.
 
** Martin - public holidays Oct 26, Nov 1-2
 
** Martin - public holidays Oct 26, Nov 1-2
 +
** US Thanksgiving - End of November
 
* Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
 
* Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
** EclipseCon 2007 coming in March. Call for Papers has been issued. Martin (and perhaps DaveM) will submit proposal for 2 hour tutorial.
+
** EclipseCon 2007 coming in March. Call for Papers has been issued. Martin and DaveM will submit proposal for 2 hour tutorial.
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
Line 67: Line 80:
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 25-Oct-2006]] at 8am SFO/10.00am Rochester/11.00pm Toronto/4pm London/5pm Salzburg
+
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 31-Oct-2006]] at 8am SFO/10.00am Rochester/11.00pm Toronto/4pm London/5pm Salzburg
 
* Open [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 8-Nov-2006]] at 9am PST
 
* Open [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 8-Nov-2006]] at 9am PST
  

Latest revision as of 12:00, 25 October 2006

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Oct 25, 2006 at 8.00am San Francisco / 10.00am Rochester / 11.00am Toronto / 4.00pm London / 5.00pm Salzburg
Dial-in: International +1 314-655-1411
North America +1 877-422-0035 (toll free)
Passcode: 764918

DaveD to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above. Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, and uwe.stieber. DaveD will start Skype chat just prior to call.

Contents

[edit] Attendees

  • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Ted Williams, Uwe Stieber (absent), Michael Scharf (absent)
  • Tradescape - Lothar Werzinger (tentative, did not come)

[edit] Agenda

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
  • Latest News
    • Martin -- Eclipse.org about files review; updating TM website; joining Orbit for Commons Net
    • DaveD -- fixed few bugs for IBM (accessibility), full time now on P2 bugs
    • DaveM -- bug work; pondering some "intended behavior" things
      • New scheme for deferring bugs: set Target Milestone="---" and probably lower priority. This is because "RESOLVED LATER" is uncomfortable to handle -- cannot reopen multiple at once, comment needed for reopen, easily confused against regression of bugs
    • Kushal -- fixing P2s first, then going to look at easy P3
    • Javier -- fixing P2s; looking at P3s now; stress testing on FTP;
    • Ted -- no news
    • Uwe -- not available
    • Michael -- not available
    • Other News --
      • Stefan Reichert, maintainer of Wicked Shell, wants to join RSE as contributor
      • Lothar Werzinger of Tradescape submitted 2 patches, which is making him contributor
  • Top Priorities this week:
    • #1 - Hi-priority bugfixing - please observe the priorities.
    • #2 - Being responsive
      • When you are personally addressed in a bug comment, please answer timely. Bugzilla E-Mail notifications should tell you so. It's important to answer and give your comment but not invest too much time -- the bulk of your time should still go into hi-priority bugfixing.
      • Saved searches: Every committer should have at least 3 saved searches: Assigned to me, RSE P1/P2, RSE Open changed last week
      • You can then e.g. sort the Assigned to me search by Status to see what's in NEW state and should be accepted (set ASSIGNED)
      • See the Bug Process Page for templates of these searches. You can just click on them and "Save as..." in bugzilla for your personal use
  • Upcoming Work
  • Communications
    • Extend Uwe's commit rights to RSE? - Let him submit patches for 1 more week and decide then. Basically OK with plain [cleanup] changes in RSE, but need to be careful with changing terminology or API changes.
      • Martin agrees that for API changes, the process is propose first - vote next - code only then.
  • Change Requests
    • Bug 161773: IHostShell.getLines() should return IHostOutput[] instead of Object[]
    • Ted Terminal view: Will go forward splitting it up such that the Transport can be contributed. Expects a version in 2 weeks
  • RSE 2.0 Planning
    • Europa Milestones fixed, our first Europa delivery is Jan.3rd to be compiled against Eclipse 3.3
    • We will have a service release (RSE 1.0.1) in december, out of the HEAD stream; then start a branch for RSE 1.0.2 (probably end of february, along with Eclipse 3.2.2)
    • So we will compile against Eclipse 3.2 until beginning of december, and not make any API changes till then
    • Focus till then will be on bug fixing, and starting the IP review process for User Actions and Import/Export
    • User Actions and Import/Export will not make it in december; to be ready for EclipseCon
    • RSE 1.0.1 content will be bug fixes and the new Terminal
  • Vacations, Holidays etc.
    • Martin - public holidays Oct 26, Nov 1-2
    • US Thanksgiving - End of November
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
    • EclipseCon 2007 coming in March. Call for Papers has been issued. Martin and DaveM will submit proposal for 2 hour tutorial.

[edit] Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - Edit Code Ownership. Hi-Pri bugs. New bug for moving DTD.
  • DaveM - Hi-pri bugs
  • Kushal - Hi-pri bugs; Encoding bugs?
  • Martin - Create empty project plan; TM FAQ on the Wiki; Hi-pri bugs;
  • Javier - FTP bugs; Hook up with Scott Lewis once SD is committed and works
  • Ted - Terminalview; Document the build process

[edit] Next Meeting