Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 24-Apr-2007"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
(Action Items)
 
(5 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 15: Line 15:
  
 
== Attendees ==
 
== Attendees ==
* IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir
+
* IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, (Kushal Munir n/a), Kevin Doyle, Sanjayan Eladchumanasamy
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Ted Williams
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, (Michael Scharf n/a), (Ted Williams n/a)
  
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
Line 27: Line 27:
  
 
{|border=1
 
{|border=1
| Martin  || 100% || [done] Add Import/Export and UDA to I-builds; || 100%
+
| Martin  || 100% || [done] Add Import/Export and UDA to I-builds; updated website; moved events to core; || 100%
 
|-
 
|-
| DaveD  || 70% || Persistence Improvements || 70%
+
| DaveD  || 70% || Persistence Improvements; Converting Translation test cases and filing bugs || 100%
 
|-
 
|-
| DaveM  || 20% || Bugfixes || 20%
+
| DaveM  || 30% || Bugfixes; [done] Fixed Import/Export || 40%
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Kushal || (?)  || BIDI Encodings || (?)
 
| Kushal || (?)  || BIDI Encodings || (?)
Line 57: Line 57:
 
** '''Priority #1: Finish API Changes'''
 
** '''Priority #1: Finish API Changes'''
 
*** '''Javier''': FTP parallel download, allowing to register directory listing parser by extension point
 
*** '''Javier''': FTP parallel download, allowing to register directory listing parser by extension point
 +
**** Please check in changes even if they are partial, so they are part of refactoring
 +
*** '''DaveD''': Persistence (for UDA); UI/Non-UI
 +
**** Persistence Provider: try to make the configurable one independent of IResource - and probably wrap it in another one that does know the WorkspaceRoot and thus depends on IResource
 +
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=182221 bug 182221]: Should IRemoteFileSubSystem handle exceptions (by showing dialogs)? What about ISubSystem in general?
 +
**** Add API to register a notifier or errorhandler with the Subsystem? One option in the notifier could be to ignore exceptions
 +
**** Uwe: Eclipse 3.3 unified the concept of the StatusHandlers (in org.eclipse.ui) -- throwing CoreException with IStatus
 +
**** DaveM, DaveD are in favor of getting exceptions thrown, but are worried about the amount of code to change
 +
**** Martin: Changing the method signature to throw SystemMessageException should make the compiler show problematic places
 +
**** DaveD: We have utility methods (in the UI) for handling SystemMessageException
 +
**** '''Future:''' SystemMessageException could wrap IStatus at some point, bringing us closer to Eclipse
 +
**** DaveM: Would adapters (like getChildren()) just pass on exceptions as well? Where do we want to decide to handle the exception
 +
**** '''Decision:''' Pragmatically, start converting simple methods in IRemoteFileSubSystem; but not convert ones that look too difficult - bring it up again next week
 
** '''Priority #2: Import/Export and User Actions'''
 
** '''Priority #2: Import/Export and User Actions'''
*** '''AI DaveD, Kushal''' persistence with User Actions; Dave working on API prerequisites now; '''AI DaveM''' Import/Export
+
*** DaveM: Import/Export should be complete
 +
*** '''AI DaveD, Kushal''' persistence with User Actions; Dave working on API prerequisites now;  
 
** '''Priority #3: Bugs'''
 
** '''Priority #3: Bugs'''
 
*** Bugzilla: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
 
*** Bugzilla: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
*** Encoding Issues
+
*** Encoding Issues: Kushal single encoding control for all subsystems?
 +
*** BIDI bugs: Will we adopt [[ICU4J]]? (Note according to [[RCP FAQ]], ICU4J is required by org.eclipse.help and thus part of the core RCP already - though this may be changed ([https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183761 bug 183761]).
 +
**** ICU4J is part of the Platform already; we should start using it; can defer the changes to later since no API change, try to keep it in UI only
 +
**** '''AI DaveD''' to follow up on the concrete [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183631 bug 183631] and fix it, to get experience with ICU4J
 +
*** Who wants to commit patches from Kevin -- update the [[DSDP/TM/Code Ownership]] page
 
*** EFS: Copy(), Move(); Open Remote Project on Startup: Get rid of IResource dependencies where possible; minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
 
*** EFS: Copy(), Move(); Open Remote Project on Startup: Get rid of IResource dependencies where possible; minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
 
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=182454 182454] - what is the meaning of ISystemViewElementAdapter.getAbsoluteName()
 
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=182454 182454] - what is the meaning of ISystemViewElementAdapter.getAbsoluteName()
Line 67: Line 84:
  
 
* '''General Guidelines'''
 
* '''General Guidelines'''
** Avoid breaking API changes if possible (keep delegate methods, use deprecation)
+
** Breaking API OK this week, but
 +
*** Avoid breaking API changes if possible afterwards (keep delegate methods, use deprecation)
 +
** Kevin, Sanjayan currently doing Vista testing; some more internal RSE stuff
 +
*** DaveM talking to them beginning of May about coding
 +
*** Sanyaan won't be with us for too much longer, but somebody else may be around
 +
*** Martin sending out the keyword for marking "junior bugs"
  
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 
== Vacation, Away ==
Line 73: Line 95:
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 17-Apr-2007#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 17-Apr-2007#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
* '''DaveD''': Remaining changes for Persistence (will be required for User Actions)
+
* '''DaveD''': Translation Testcases; Persistence Provider without IResource; Get started on ICU4J with [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183631 bug 183631]; User Actions
* '''DaveM''': Major bugs for dstore, copying
+
* '''DaveM''': Bugs
* '''Kushal''': BIDI bugs
+
* '''Kushal''': BIDI bugs and Encodings
* '''Martin''': Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
+
* '''Martin''': API cleanups; Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
 
* '''Javier''': FTP parallel download, registering FTP Parser by extension point
 
* '''Javier''': FTP parallel download, registering FTP Parser by extension point
  

Latest revision as of 12:29, 24 April 2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday Apr 24, 2007 at 1500 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Contents

[edit] Attendees

  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, (Kushal Munir n/a), Kevin Doyle, Sanjayan Eladchumanasamy
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, (Michael Scharf n/a), (Ted Williams n/a)

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

[edit] Notes

[edit] News & Review Action Items

Martin 100% [done] Add Import/Export and UDA to I-builds; updated website; moved events to core; 100%
DaveD 70% Persistence Improvements; Converting Translation test cases and filing bugs 100%
DaveM 30% Bugfixes; [done] Fixed Import/Export 40%
Kushal (?) BIDI Encodings (?)
Javier 50% FTP Parser Extension Point - Problems persisting Property Set 50%
Ted 0% - 0%
Uwe 5% - 5%
Michael 10% 10%

[edit] Time Plan and Deadlines toward M7

  • Plan towards M7 - goals and deadlines for I-builds
    • I20070426 -- Major breaking API changes (Martin: getSystemType(), getInstance(); UI/Non-UI; Persistence)
    • I20070503 -- Minor API changes - Final Feature Additions - Feature Freeze (Terminal integration; FTP Parser)
    • I20070510 -- Stabilization, start TM 2.0 M7 Testing on May 14th
    • I20070516 -- TM 2.0M7 (17th is a public holiday in Austria!)

[edit] Bugs and open work to be discussed

  • Current Priorities
    • Priority #1: Finish API Changes
      • Javier: FTP parallel download, allowing to register directory listing parser by extension point
        • Please check in changes even if they are partial, so they are part of refactoring
      • DaveD: Persistence (for UDA); UI/Non-UI
        • Persistence Provider: try to make the configurable one independent of IResource - and probably wrap it in another one that does know the WorkspaceRoot and thus depends on IResource
      • bug 182221: Should IRemoteFileSubSystem handle exceptions (by showing dialogs)? What about ISubSystem in general?
        • Add API to register a notifier or errorhandler with the Subsystem? One option in the notifier could be to ignore exceptions
        • Uwe: Eclipse 3.3 unified the concept of the StatusHandlers (in org.eclipse.ui) -- throwing CoreException with IStatus
        • DaveM, DaveD are in favor of getting exceptions thrown, but are worried about the amount of code to change
        • Martin: Changing the method signature to throw SystemMessageException should make the compiler show problematic places
        • DaveD: We have utility methods (in the UI) for handling SystemMessageException
        • Future: SystemMessageException could wrap IStatus at some point, bringing us closer to Eclipse
        • DaveM: Would adapters (like getChildren()) just pass on exceptions as well? Where do we want to decide to handle the exception
        • Decision: Pragmatically, start converting simple methods in IRemoteFileSubSystem; but not convert ones that look too difficult - bring it up again next week
    • Priority #2: Import/Export and User Actions
      • DaveM: Import/Export should be complete
      • AI DaveD, Kushal persistence with User Actions; Dave working on API prerequisites now;
    • Priority #3: Bugs
      • Bugzilla: Severity Major, hi-priority
      • Encoding Issues: Kushal single encoding control for all subsystems?
      • BIDI bugs: Will we adopt ICU4J? (Note according to RCP FAQ, ICU4J is required by org.eclipse.help and thus part of the core RCP already - though this may be changed (bug 183761).
        • ICU4J is part of the Platform already; we should start using it; can defer the changes to later since no API change, try to keep it in UI only
        • AI DaveD to follow up on the concrete bug 183631 and fix it, to get experience with ICU4J
      • Who wants to commit patches from Kevin -- update the DSDP/TM/Code Ownership page
      • EFS: Copy(), Move(); Open Remote Project on Startup: Get rid of IResource dependencies where possible; minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
      • 182454 - what is the meaning of ISystemViewElementAdapter.getAbsoluteName()


  • General Guidelines
    • Breaking API OK this week, but
      • Avoid breaking API changes if possible afterwards (keep delegate methods, use deprecation)
    • Kevin, Sanjayan currently doing Vista testing; some more internal RSE stuff
      • DaveM talking to them beginning of May about coding
      • Sanyaan won't be with us for too much longer, but somebody else may be around
      • Martin sending out the keyword for marking "junior bugs"

[edit] Vacation, Away

[edit] Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD: Translation Testcases; Persistence Provider without IResource; Get started on ICU4J with bug 183631; User Actions
  • DaveM: Bugs
  • Kushal: BIDI bugs and Encodings
  • Martin: API cleanups; Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
  • Javier: FTP parallel download, registering FTP Parser by extension point

[edit] Next Meeting