Jump to: navigation, search

DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 22-May-2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday May 22, 2007 at 1500 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Invited Attendees

  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir, Kevin Doyle, Xuan Chen
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).


News & Review Action Items

Martin 100% RSE bugs (see bugzilla), releaseing M7 100%
DaveD 80% Persistence in metadata, Translations, Mnemonics 80%
DaveM 50% Bugfixes 50%
Kushal 40% BIDI Encodings 40%
Javier 30% FTP Parser Extension Point 30%
Ted 0% - 0%
Uwe 5% - 5%
Michael 10% Terminal API cleanup, plus small fixes; performance improvements 10%

Plan for the TM Future

Beginning of next week, the Europa Release Review slides are due. I'd like to have a rough idea where we are heading. It's also important to know when deciding what bugs can be deferred to later. Here is an outline as a discussion start: See also TM Future Planning

  • TM 2.0.1 with Europa (in autumn) or slightly earlier
    • Work on unittests, isv docs over the summer in HEAD
    • Fork off from mainline in autumn
  • Will the next TM release be TM 2.1 or TM 3.0?
    • We'd probably need 3.0 for further UI/Non-UI, API Polish, finalizing terminal API
    • What about IBM/Symbian/WR requirements?
    • We could shoot for a 3.0 but strive to keep API changes small and potentially have a compatibility plugin
    • Add in next release:
      • User actions, Launch Actions, VLM Lab Manager, IPxAct data, Connection Groups
    • Integrate in next release:
      • WebDAV, Team Sync, Wicked Shell, JArchive
    • Potentially move to Platform + 0 level --> move CDT Launcher to CDT Project

Ramp Down Plan

  • TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa, based on Europa Simultaneous Release#Milestones and Release Candidates
    • RC1 -- Fri May 25 (5 work days) -- May 30: Release Review Slide Decks due
    • RC2 -- Tue Jun 5 (6 work days)
    • RC3 -- Thu Jun 14 (7 work days; Martin vacation 12-Jun til 21-Jun!)
    • RC4 -- Thu Jun 21 (5 work days)
    • EUROPA -- Jun 29
  • 1-committer-review recommended for RC1, required afterwards.
  • If there are any risky fixes, make them as early as possible, less risky fixes later
  • Reviewing assigned bugs regarding priority and potential to defer past 2.0: Individual committers, DaveD+Martin, or Martin alone?
  • Avoid breaking API changes from now on (though we can still break API if absolutely necessary)

Bugs and open work to be discussed

  • Current Priorities: Fix bugs by Priority
    • Javier: Some FTP related bugs; What else are you comfortable? User docs and ISV docs for Discovery?
    • DaveD: Translation / Menmonics stuff, 187647 Persistence in Metadata
      • 153632 incorrect filterpool for dstore - are we really converging to a single filter pool?
    • DaveM: Refresh related bugs; single filter pool?
    • Martin: Need to bring Releng scripts up to latest for Orbit; Review and release Telnet fixes; 172650 Capabilities; 176461 expand-to-level; 186315 EFS problematic URIs;
      • 170910 Integrate Terminalview -- OK to defer past 2.0?
      • Would like to Rename org.eclipse.rse.eclipse.filesystem to org.eclipse.rse.efs -- OK?
      • API: Would like to add some "throws" clauses to ISystemRegistry and others to ensure that nobody expects it to show messages (necessary when it is to go into non-UI in the future) -- OK?
      • EFS: Copy(), Move(); minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
    • Kushal: Single "Encoding" control on the Host (for all subsystems)
  • Bugzilla: Severity Major, hi-priority

Vacation, Away

  • DaveD travelling this week, but that shouldn't affect anything
  • Monday May 28 - Pentecost Monday in Austria, Memorial Day in US (public holiday)

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD: Translation Testcases; Persistence Provider without IResource; Get started on ICU4J with bug 183631
  • DaveM: Refresh Bugs
  • Kushal: BIDI bugs and Encodings
  • Martin: Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
  • Javier:
  • Michael:

Next Meeting