Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 22-May-2007"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 43: Line 43:
 
| Michael || 10% || Terminal API cleanup, plus small fixes; performance improvements || 10%
 
| Michael || 10% || Terminal API cleanup, plus small fixes; performance improvements || 10%
 
|}
 
|}
 
  
 
=== Plan for the TM Future ===
 
=== Plan for the TM Future ===
 
Beginning of next week, the Europa Release Review slides are due. I'd like to have a rough idea where we are heading. It's also important to know when deciding what bugs can be deferred to later. Here is an outline as a discussion start: See also [[TM Future Planning]]
 
Beginning of next week, the Europa Release Review slides are due. I'd like to have a rough idea where we are heading. It's also important to know when deciding what bugs can be deferred to later. Here is an outline as a discussion start: See also [[TM Future Planning]]
 
* TM 2.0.1 with Europa (in autumn) or slightly earlier
 
* TM 2.0.1 with Europa (in autumn) or slightly earlier
 +
** Wind River might need 2.0.1 slightly before Europa SR1;
 +
** DaveD taking off 2 weeks in August (7th-20th) and large part (end of) September, heading to Prague
 
** Work on unittests, isv docs over the summer in HEAD
 
** Work on unittests, isv docs over the summer in HEAD
** Fork off from mainline in autumn
+
** Fork off from mainline in autumn; if we have any large things for 3.0 and want to start before 2.0.1 might do that in a branch; but having the branch this or that way is not a big deal
* Will the next TM release be TM 2.1 or TM 3.0?
+
** User actions: consider replacing it entirely by command framework
 +
* Will the next TM release (Ganymade coordinated release) be TM 2.1 or TM 3.0?
 
** We'd probably need 3.0 for further UI/Non-UI, API Polish, finalizing terminal API
 
** We'd probably need 3.0 for further UI/Non-UI, API Polish, finalizing terminal API
** What about IBM/Symbian/WR requirements?
+
** Doing 2.1 might be possible but harder than going for 3.0 right away; Finishing the UI/Non-UI refactoring is essential to complete for the next release
 +
*** TM 3.0 probably not a problem at IBM
 +
*** Javier comfortable with what RSE looks like at the moment
 +
*** Better going for 3.0 since not yet happy with API
 
** We could shoot for a 3.0 but strive to keep API changes small and potentially have a compatibility plugin
 
** We could shoot for a 3.0 but strive to keep API changes small and potentially have a compatibility plugin
 +
** '''Integrate''' in next release - strong should:
 +
*** WebDAV, Team Sync (minimal data transfer), Wicked Shell, JArchive (through RSE extension point)
 
** '''Add''' in next release:  
 
** '''Add''' in next release:  
*** User actions, Launch Actions, VLM Lab Manager, IPxAct data, Connection Groups
+
*** User actions (probably replace by Command framework), Launch Actions, VLM Lab Manager, IPxAct data, Connection Groups
** '''Integrate''' in next release:  
+
*** DaveM: tings existing with IBM already: Remote Java Debug, Remote Jar Export (need legal review); export to multiple targets;
*** WebDAV, Team Sync, Wicked Shell, JArchive
+
*** Contribute IBM "External Tools" implementation (very interesting!) - potentially consolidate into single User Actions framework
 
** Potentially move to Platform + 0 level --> move CDT Launcher to CDT Project
 
** Potentially move to Platform + 0 level --> move CDT Launcher to CDT Project
  
Line 70: Line 77:
 
* If there are any risky fixes, make them as early as possible, less risky fixes later
 
* If there are any risky fixes, make them as early as possible, less risky fixes later
 
* '''Reviewing assigned bugs''' regarding priority and potential to defer past 2.0: Individual committers, DaveD+Martin, or Martin alone?
 
* '''Reviewing assigned bugs''' regarding priority and potential to defer past 2.0: Individual committers, DaveD+Martin, or Martin alone?
 +
** Have a review phase on Friday; Kushal reviewing his; fields to change are "Priority" and "Target Milestone"
 +
** Have each committer do a first pass on his own assigned bugs; DaveD and Martin go through the list again on Monday.
 
* Avoid breaking API changes from now on (though we can still break API if absolutely necessary)
 
* Avoid breaking API changes from now on (though we can still break API if absolutely necessary)
  
Line 75: Line 84:
  
 
* '''Current Priorities:''' Fix bugs by Priority
 
* '''Current Priorities:''' Fix bugs by Priority
** '''Javier''': Some FTP related bugs; What else are you comfortable? User docs and ISV docs for Discovery?  
+
** '''Javier''': Some FTP related bugs; Happy to help out with other stuff; User docs and ISV docs for Discovery? Javier fine with doing it in RC2/RC3; Martin help out with releng aspects.
** '''DaveD''': Translation / Menmonics stuff, [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=187647 187647] Persistence in Metadata
+
** '''DaveD''': Translation / Menmonics stuff, [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=187647 187647] Persistence in Metadata - dont see problems but needs fairly thorough testing
 
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=153632 153632] incorrect filterpool for dstore - are we really converging to a single filter pool?
 
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=153632 153632] incorrect filterpool for dstore - are we really converging to a single filter pool?
** '''DaveM''': Refresh related bugs; single filter pool?
+
** '''DaveM''': Refresh related bugs; single filter pool? - DaveM does want to get to it this week: coordinate with DaveD since some issues might come up in the Persistence area
 
** '''Martin''': Need to bring Releng scripts up to latest for Orbit; Review and release Telnet fixes; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=172650 172650] Capabilities; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176461 176461] expand-to-level; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=186315 186315] EFS problematic URIs;  
 
** '''Martin''': Need to bring Releng scripts up to latest for Orbit; Review and release Telnet fixes; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=172650 172650] Capabilities; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176461 176461] expand-to-level; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=186315 186315] EFS problematic URIs;  
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=170910 170910] Integrate Terminalview -- '''OK to defer''' past 2.0?
+
*** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=170910 170910] Integrate Terminalview -- '''OK to defer''' past 2.0? Add in 2.0.1?
 +
**** Kushal: make it available as experimental download?
 +
**** DaveM: make it in two pathes (separate subsystem first, integrate into commandview later)?
 +
**** IBM has a very loose terminal integration: select host, "Open Terminal" opens a separate terminal view; that would give us some kind of integration. But for TM Terminal, there are no translations, no clearance etc.
 +
**** '''Decision''': Better invest time into 2.0 bugfixes, and adding the Terminal in an early 3.0 milestone.
 
*** Would like to '''Rename org.eclipse.rse.eclipse.filesystem to org.eclipse.rse.efs''' -- OK?
 
*** Would like to '''Rename org.eclipse.rse.eclipse.filesystem to org.eclipse.rse.efs''' -- OK?
 +
**** DaveD: Files in there need to be retargeted - should not be a big problem
 
*** API: Would like to add some "throws" clauses to ISystemRegistry and others to ensure that nobody expects it to show messages (necessary when it is to go into non-UI in the future) -- OK?
 
*** API: Would like to add some "throws" clauses to ISystemRegistry and others to ensure that nobody expects it to show messages (necessary when it is to go into non-UI in the future) -- OK?
 +
**** Kushal: Better make API change now rather than later
 
*** EFS: Copy(), Move(); minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
 
*** EFS: Copy(), Move(); minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
** '''Kushal''': Single "Encoding" control on the Host (for all subsystems)
+
** '''Kushal''': Single "Encoding" control on the Host (for all subsystems); will be removing encoding control on the Shells property page
 
* '''Bugzilla''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
 
* '''Bugzilla''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
  
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 
* DaveD travelling this week, but that shouldn't affect anything
 
* DaveD travelling this week, but that shouldn't affect anything
* Monday May 28 - Pentecost Monday in Austria, Memorial Day in US (public holiday)
+
* Monday May 28 - Pentecost Monday in Austria (Martin OOO), Memorial Day in US (public holiday, but DaveD probably working)
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==

Revision as of 11:58, 22 May 2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday May 22, 2007 at 1500 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Contents

Invited Attendees

  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir, Kevin Doyle, Xuan Chen
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

News & Review Action Items

Martin 100% RSE bugs (see bugzilla), releaseing M7 100%
DaveD 80% Persistence in metadata, Translations, Mnemonics 80%
DaveM 50% Bugfixes 50%
Kushal 40% BIDI Encodings 40%
Javier 30% FTP Parser Extension Point 30%
Ted 0% - 0%
Uwe 5% - 5%
Michael 10% Terminal API cleanup, plus small fixes; performance improvements 10%

Plan for the TM Future

Beginning of next week, the Europa Release Review slides are due. I'd like to have a rough idea where we are heading. It's also important to know when deciding what bugs can be deferred to later. Here is an outline as a discussion start: See also TM Future Planning

  • TM 2.0.1 with Europa (in autumn) or slightly earlier
    • Wind River might need 2.0.1 slightly before Europa SR1;
    • DaveD taking off 2 weeks in August (7th-20th) and large part (end of) September, heading to Prague
    • Work on unittests, isv docs over the summer in HEAD
    • Fork off from mainline in autumn; if we have any large things for 3.0 and want to start before 2.0.1 might do that in a branch; but having the branch this or that way is not a big deal
    • User actions: consider replacing it entirely by command framework
  • Will the next TM release (Ganymade coordinated release) be TM 2.1 or TM 3.0?
    • We'd probably need 3.0 for further UI/Non-UI, API Polish, finalizing terminal API
    • Doing 2.1 might be possible but harder than going for 3.0 right away; Finishing the UI/Non-UI refactoring is essential to complete for the next release
      • TM 3.0 probably not a problem at IBM
      • Javier comfortable with what RSE looks like at the moment
      • Better going for 3.0 since not yet happy with API
    • We could shoot for a 3.0 but strive to keep API changes small and potentially have a compatibility plugin
    • Integrate in next release - strong should:
      • WebDAV, Team Sync (minimal data transfer), Wicked Shell, JArchive (through RSE extension point)
    • Add in next release:
      • User actions (probably replace by Command framework), Launch Actions, VLM Lab Manager, IPxAct data, Connection Groups
      • DaveM: tings existing with IBM already: Remote Java Debug, Remote Jar Export (need legal review); export to multiple targets;
      • Contribute IBM "External Tools" implementation (very interesting!) - potentially consolidate into single User Actions framework
    • Potentially move to Platform + 0 level --> move CDT Launcher to CDT Project

Ramp Down Plan

  • TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa, based on Europa Simultaneous Release#Milestones and Release Candidates
    • RC1 -- Fri May 25 (5 work days) -- May 30: Release Review Slide Decks due
    • RC2 -- Tue Jun 5 (6 work days)
    • RC3 -- Thu Jun 14 (7 work days; Martin vacation 12-Jun til 21-Jun!)
    • RC4 -- Thu Jun 21 (5 work days)
    • EUROPA -- Jun 29
  • 1-committer-review recommended for RC1, required afterwards.
  • If there are any risky fixes, make them as early as possible, less risky fixes later
  • Reviewing assigned bugs regarding priority and potential to defer past 2.0: Individual committers, DaveD+Martin, or Martin alone?
    • Have a review phase on Friday; Kushal reviewing his; fields to change are "Priority" and "Target Milestone"
    • Have each committer do a first pass on his own assigned bugs; DaveD and Martin go through the list again on Monday.
  • Avoid breaking API changes from now on (though we can still break API if absolutely necessary)

Bugs and open work to be discussed

  • Current Priorities: Fix bugs by Priority
    • Javier: Some FTP related bugs; Happy to help out with other stuff; User docs and ISV docs for Discovery? Javier fine with doing it in RC2/RC3; Martin help out with releng aspects.
    • DaveD: Translation / Menmonics stuff, 187647 Persistence in Metadata - dont see problems but needs fairly thorough testing
      • 153632 incorrect filterpool for dstore - are we really converging to a single filter pool?
    • DaveM: Refresh related bugs; single filter pool? - DaveM does want to get to it this week: coordinate with DaveD since some issues might come up in the Persistence area
    • Martin: Need to bring Releng scripts up to latest for Orbit; Review and release Telnet fixes; 172650 Capabilities; 176461 expand-to-level; 186315 EFS problematic URIs;
      • 170910 Integrate Terminalview -- OK to defer past 2.0? Add in 2.0.1?
        • Kushal: make it available as experimental download?
        • DaveM: make it in two pathes (separate subsystem first, integrate into commandview later)?
        • IBM has a very loose terminal integration: select host, "Open Terminal" opens a separate terminal view; that would give us some kind of integration. But for TM Terminal, there are no translations, no clearance etc.
        • Decision: Better invest time into 2.0 bugfixes, and adding the Terminal in an early 3.0 milestone.
      • Would like to Rename org.eclipse.rse.eclipse.filesystem to org.eclipse.rse.efs -- OK?
        • DaveD: Files in there need to be retargeted - should not be a big problem
      • API: Would like to add some "throws" clauses to ISystemRegistry and others to ensure that nobody expects it to show messages (necessary when it is to go into non-UI in the future) -- OK?
        • Kushal: Better make API change now rather than later
      • EFS: Copy(), Move(); minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
    • Kushal: Single "Encoding" control on the Host (for all subsystems); will be removing encoding control on the Shells property page
  • Bugzilla: Severity Major, hi-priority

Vacation, Away

  • DaveD travelling this week, but that shouldn't affect anything
  • Monday May 28 - Pentecost Monday in Austria (Martin OOO), Memorial Day in US (public holiday, but DaveD probably working)

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD: Translation Testcases; Persistence Provider without IResource; Get started on ICU4J with bug 183631
  • DaveM: Refresh Bugs
  • Kushal: BIDI bugs and Encodings
  • Martin: Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
  • Javier:
  • Michael:

Next Meeting