DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 21-May-2008
|Meeting Title:||TM Committer Phone Meeting|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday May 21, 2008 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1000 Rochester / 1100 Toronto / 1600 London / 1700 Salzburg|
Backup dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588 / Freephone +1 (866) 6161738 / UK 08712460713 / Passcode: 0587322148 #
MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype dial-in: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, michael_scharf, uwe.stieber, radoslav.gerganov, wrsfburton.
- IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian, Kevin Doyle
- Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber
- ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
- Regrets this time: Michael Scharf, Eugene Tarassov, Felix Burton, Javier Montalvo Orus
- Last meeting: DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 30-Apr-2008
- Skype Call Quality
- Skypecast quality was OK in the beginning with up to 4 participants, but became unbearable shortly later. Rado was unable to dial into the Skypecast (sitting behind an HTTP proxy).
- Normal Skype conference worked very fine for all 8 participants this time, but 8 really is the limit here (9th person trying to accept invitation cannot join).
- Late API Change Requests
- We really need to draw a finishing line now!
- bug 233068 - [api][breaking] Remove tm.discovery.edit reexport of EMF -- accepted, Martin
- bug 231209 - [api][breaking] IRemoteFile.getSystemConnection() should be changed to IRemoteFile.getHost() -- accepted, DaveM
- bug 230821 - [api][breaking] IRemoteFileSubsystem is inconsistent with IFileService -- DaveD to investigate impact, committers in favor of the change if doable.
- bug 230919 - [api][breaking][files] IFileService.delete() should not return a boolean -- Rado: can handle all cases with exceptions, inconvenient to do both. Martin: boolean value would hardly ever be used. Rado: Not checking return values is bad practice. Martin: It boils down to the question whether it is an error to try and delete a file that's not there. -- accepted, Rado to make the change
- bug 212742 - [api] Need a Utility to send commands and receive output without prompt -- DaveM: We have RemoteCommandShellOperation with BEGIN-END-TAGS (but how reliable is it?) -- denied, due to lack of time
- Changes to go into RC2
Steps Towards Ganymede
- DSDP/TM/3.0 Ramp down Plan for Ganymede
- We have RC1, so from now on EVERY checkin must be tracked in bugzilla, even simple cleanups (except documentation-only or unittest-only things). Also applies to "incubation". Rules do not apply to TCF
- there MUST be a +1 vote on the bug (though the vote can happen after the fact)
- Please do NOT only ask me for reviewing, it doesn't scale
- We should do another round of coordinated testing with TM 3.0 RC2 in order to find bugs important enough to get fixed
- Who can organize it? - DaveD write up wiki page, Martin E-mail testers
- Bug Triage
- Please take the time and triage your still 3.0 assigned bugs to see which of them can be deferred to 3.0.1
- All "3.0" assigned bugs must be triaged now and either assigned a proper RC milestone or 3.0.1 (with the exception of Documentation-only fixes)
- New and Noteworthy
- I'll need a list of new features for a New&Noteworthy, and for the Release Review. Release Review material is due next week.
- See CDT/User/NewIn50 for example; for TM, I put most news into our Build Notes already, so it should be possible to compile the N&N out of the build notes
- For the N&N, please make screenshots and work on "your" new features, e.g.
- Severity Major, Hi-Priority
- Current Statistics: 1 blocker (Martin), 1 critical (Martin), 10 major (DaveD, DaveM, Kevin, Martin, Michael), 20 other P2's
- Please fix the known hi-priority bugs as soon as possible -- best before the coordinated testing on RC2, to ensure we get good test coverage
- Community contributions: Only few unapplied patches right now, should apply now if possible (see also the Bug Process Page for a query)
- Cleanup Work
- Besides the hi-priority issues, there is a LOT of cleanup to do:
- New releng scripts on dsdp.eclipse.org (Martin: must-have before his vacation)
- Copyright Year Updates (Run the releng Copyrights Tool)
- API Tooling Javadocs(@noextend and friends) - bug 227368, bug 225529 comment 4 and bug 225529 comment 6 - DSDP/TM/Code Ownership
- Review and improve Userdocs; we have several open bugs here
- Review and improve Javadocs; lots still missing
- Fix broken hyperlinks in the docs, fix HTML/XML errors (which can make the indexer not work)
- Get rid of compiler warnings wherever possible
- Add more Unittests -- ideally write an accompanying unittest for every bugfix
- Run Findbugs -- Update site on http://findbugs.cs.umd.edu/eclipse, Quickdocs by Rado in tm-dev E-Mail
- Question about filtering false positives posted on fb-discuss link
- TM Website: revamp should really be complete for Ganymede! Kevin and Martin won't have time. DaveD will try to get to it, but cannot promise.
- Besides the hi-priority issues, there is a LOT of cleanup to do:
What will happen after Ganymede?
- Propose working on TM 3.0.1 (bugfixes only) in HEAD until fall
- Start coming up with "Big Rocks" to address in the next cycle; re-use the TM Future Planning page? Some examples:
- Connection Grouping - be Multicore aware
- Rewrite the Tableview to be really aware of Properties
- More dynamic subsystem enablement and configuration (e.g. detect UNIX vs Windows automatically at runtime)
- Hi-Performance, caching EFS provider
- Bring TCF to Maturity
- Quality: Add unittest coverage, reduce bloat, improve performance, streamline APIs
- Shoot for TM 3.1 or 4.0? - DaveD: Attempt 3.1; Xuan: lots of classes moved to "internal" e.g. SystemRemoteCommand; Martin: discuss such issues on bugzilla
- Martin: Agree, a non-breaking release seems better; Dave: Will increase community confidence
- Related: Move to Java5? - DaveM: Keep Java 1.4 on the Server, allow 1.5 on the client
- Martin: Parallel 4.0 and 3.1 development? - DaveD: Try not to do that!
- DaveD context menu on SystemView / TeamView: something going on with the way how items are being added. Bringing up the context menu immediately after startup shows some debugger related stuff. Martin: bug 208062
- Martin public holiday Thursday May 22
- Martin NOT in Ottawa for E4/Summit May 22-23
- DaveD Monday May 26 public holiday in US
- Martin vacation June 11 - 22 -- AI Martin finish and test the new Build scripts on dsdp.eclipse.org till then
- DaveM vacation June 16 - 20
- DaveD in July
- Last Meeting Action Items
- Everyone: Add @noextend etc according to DSDP/TM/Code Ownership table;
- Triage 3.0 and earlier assigned bugs and move to 3.0.1 what we can
- Bug fixes, cleanup, unittests
- DaveD: Investigate bug 230821 exceptions in IRemoteFileSubSystem; write up coordinated testing Wiki page until Thurs May 22 evening
- DaveM: Fix bug 231209 IRemoteFile.getSystemConnection()
- Kevin: -
- Rupen: -
- Xuan: -
- Martin: Fix bug 233068 Discovery reexport; Prepare Release Review material; New Project Plan; Critical EFS bugs; UI/Non-UI Splitting; Finish new Releng and tell DaveD; E-Mail potential participants of Coordinated Testing; Commons Net Placeholder CQ
- Javier: Hi-PRI FTP BUGS
- Michael: Terminal improvements
- Uwe: -
- Rado: Fix bug 230919 IFileService.delete()
- Felix: -
- Eugene: -