Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 19-Dec-2006"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 15: Line 15:
  
 
== Attendees ==
 
== Attendees ==
* IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
+
* IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, (Kushal Munir n/a)
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Ted Williams
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, (Michael Scharf n/a, Ted Williams n/a)
* Tradescape - Lothar Werzinger
+
  
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
Line 57: Line 56:
 
|}
 
|}
  
for analysis, see [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 8-Nov-2006]]
+
* 1.0: 85 examples -- people do want to code against RSE APIs
 +
* 68 discovery -- some interest
 +
* update site gaining significance with 1.0.1
 +
* For more analysis, see [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 8-Nov-2006]]
  
 
=== Latest News ===
 
=== Latest News ===
Line 99: Line 101:
 
** [[RSE 2.0 Planning]] - Finalize the 2.0 Project Plan, '''Priorities:'''
 
** [[RSE 2.0 Planning]] - Finalize the 2.0 Project Plan, '''Priorities:'''
 
*** '''1. Make APIs usable for clients, harden the APIs, improve documentation'''
 
*** '''1. Make APIs usable for clients, harden the APIs, improve documentation'''
**** SystemType improvements; retargetable actions/commands; read-only flags; Streams for IHostShell, IFileService;
+
**** SystemType improvements; retargetable actions/commands; read-only flags; Streams for IHostShell, IFileService; UI/Non-UI Refactoring; make RSE more service-oriented
 
*** '''2. Make EFS work'''
 
*** '''2. Make EFS work'''
 
*** '''3. Play well with the Platform'''
 
*** '''3. Play well with the Platform'''
Line 105: Line 107:
 
** Think about limiting the API: Make APIs internal along the way of updating documentation, and making Unit tests, we'll see some API we want "internal".
 
** Think about limiting the API: Make APIs internal along the way of updating documentation, and making Unit tests, we'll see some API we want "internal".
 
** For bugs, see the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/bug_process.php bug process page] (assigned to inbox, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch)
 
** For bugs, see the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/bug_process.php bug process page] (assigned to inbox, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch)
* '''Compiler Warnings'''
 
** See the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/committer_howto.php#check_code Committer Howto] for settings
 
*** 109 -> 113 -> 113 -> connectorservice.dstore
 
*** 176 -> 265 -> 161 -> rse.core
 
*** 474 -> 558 -> 558 -> files.ui
 
*** 637 -> 662 -> 662 -> services
 
*** 221 -> 250 -> 248 -> subsystems.files.core
 
*** 1622 -> 346 -> 293 -> rse.ui
 
* '''Quality'''
 
** '''Docs are a high priority'''. Add ISV Javadoc where it is still missing or incorrect; review, and improve all docs
 
  
 
=== Communications ===
 
=== Communications ===
* General code cleanup -- to do right after M4:
 
** Get rid of unused icons, e.g. rse.ui/icons/full/obj16/system390_obj.gif, IBM_logo.gif
 
** Get rid of commented out source code
 
** Get rid of unused properties (chkpii)
 
* Change Requests
 
 
* Vacations, Holidays etc.
 
* Vacations, Holidays etc.
 
** Kushal away from 18th
 
** Kushal away from 18th
 +
** DaveD away 22nd and most of Thu 21st but may work a little 25th to 1st
 
** Martin, DaveM away from 25th to 1st
 
** Martin, DaveM away from 25th to 1st
 
** Javier away from 25th to 8th
 
** Javier away from 25th to 8th
Line 130: Line 118:
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 12-Dec-2006#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 12-Dec-2006#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
* '''DaveD''' - Submit UDA and Import/Export for IBM internal review; New bug for moving DTD.
+
* '''DaveD''' - Bugs & Unit tests; ; New bug for moving DTD.
* '''DaveM''' - Bugs; Compiler Warnings (dstore);
+
* '''DaveM''' - Bugs & Unit tests; Compiler Warnings (dstore);
* '''Kushal''' - Compiler Warnings (UI); Talk to DaveD re Comm Server; Bugs
+
* '''Kushal''' - Compiler Warnings (UI); Talk to DaveD re Comm Server; Bugs & Unit Tests
* '''Martin''' - Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on [[RSE 2.0 Planning]]; [[TM and RSE FAQ]], improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute); Bugs; Features for Unittests; add Jakarta Commons to Orbit;
+
* '''Martin''' - Bugs & Unit Tests; Features for Unittests; Add Jakarta Commons to Orbit; Plan Item Specifications; Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on [[RSE 2.0 Planning]]; [[TM and RSE FAQ]], improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute);
* '''Javier''' - Bugs;
+
* '''Javier''' - Bugs & Unit Tests;
 
* '''Ted''' - Document the build process (DD project), prepare for Europa build
 
* '''Ted''' - Document the build process (DD project), prepare for Europa build
 
* '''Michael''' -  
 
* '''Michael''' -  

Revision as of 13:45, 19 December 2006

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 at 1600 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Contents

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, (Kushal Munir n/a)
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, (Michael Scharf n/a, Ted Williams n/a)

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help: being responsive
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site

Recent Download Statistics

RSE 1.0 Download statistics as per 19-Dec-2006
Component RC3 RC4 1.0 1.0.1 Note
Date 30-Oct 03-Nov 12-Nov 15-Dec
RSE-SDK 113 146 458 40
rseserver-windows 24 63 185 7
rseserver-linux 19 25 133 11
rse.core (Update Site) 72 28 172 52 1.0 src is 156
Total 185 174 630 92
examples 27 85 7
remotecdt 7 66 7 per 1.0.1, remotecdt is no longer in SDK
discovery 13 68 9
efs 12 42 8
terminal - - 12
  • 1.0: 85 examples -- people do want to code against RSE APIs
  • 68 discovery -- some interest
  • update site gaining significance with 1.0.1
  • For more analysis, see DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 8-Nov-2006

Latest News

Martin 80% Packaging Terminal, Releasing 1.0.1, Fixing, Planning 2.0 50%
DaveD 80% 80%
DaveM 80% 80%
Kushal 50% 0%
Javier 50% compiler warnings 50%
Ted 5% creating org.eclipse.rse.releng.builder 80%
Uwe 50% test framework, unit tests 50%
Michael 40% terminal fixes

Looking back on 1.0.1

  • RSE 1.0.1 Testing statistics (links on bottom of page):
    • 63 bugs fixed, 40 verified, 7 reopened, 6 new:
      • 16 not yet verified; more than 11% reopened!
    • We need to improve the quality of our bug fixes, and decrease the time for verification: using unit tests
    • bugs assigned to target 1.0.1 but left open are now assigned to 2.0M4 (currently 46 bugs) - see the bug process page

Upcoming Work

  • Top priority this week is a stable 2.0M4 --> Finish off some cleanup, add unit tests
  • When to fork off 2.0 API changes?
    • Can start right away (e.g. "anonymous" ftp access), but quality must be high:
    • add unit tests for all new or modified API
    • document API changes (on build notes, tm-dev list or where?)
  • Planning 2.0
    • Dates are governed by Europa: M4=Jan 4, M5=Feb 23==EclipseCon, M6=Apr 6==API Freeze, M7=May 18==RC0
    • Start IBM and EMO review process for User Actions and Import/Export (DaveD)
      • Also need a CQ for two Userdoc files for the Internal Comms Daemon
    • RSE 2.0 Planning - Finalize the 2.0 Project Plan, Priorities:
      • 1. Make APIs usable for clients, harden the APIs, improve documentation
        • SystemType improvements; retargetable actions/commands; read-only flags; Streams for IHostShell, IFileService; UI/Non-UI Refactoring; make RSE more service-oriented
      • 2. Make EFS work
      • 3. Play well with the Platform
      • 4. Improve overall quality (unit tests; special characters; long filenames; background jobs; parallel access; ...)
    • Think about limiting the API: Make APIs internal along the way of updating documentation, and making Unit tests, we'll see some API we want "internal".
    • For bugs, see the bug process page (assigned to inbox, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch)

Communications

  • Vacations, Holidays etc.
    • Kushal away from 18th
    • DaveD away 22nd and most of Thu 21st but may work a little 25th to 1st
    • Martin, DaveM away from 25th to 1st
    • Javier away from 25th to 8th
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - Bugs & Unit tests; ; New bug for moving DTD.
  • DaveM - Bugs & Unit tests; Compiler Warnings (dstore);
  • Kushal - Compiler Warnings (UI); Talk to DaveD re Comm Server; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Martin - Bugs & Unit Tests; Features for Unittests; Add Jakarta Commons to Orbit; Plan Item Specifications; Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on RSE 2.0 Planning; TM and RSE FAQ, improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute);
  • Javier - Bugs & Unit Tests;
  • Ted - Document the build process (DD project), prepare for Europa build
  • Michael -
  • Uwe - RSE Systemview performance unit tests

Next Meeting