Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 17-Dec-2008"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
(Next Meeting)
 
(12 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 19: Line 19:
 
This meeting is free for everyone to attend. It's a service of the TM developers and committers to community, fostering exchange of upcoming news, status and asking questions. Committers are expected to attend.
 
This meeting is free for everyone to attend. It's a service of the TM developers and committers to community, fostering exchange of upcoming news, status and asking questions. Committers are expected to attend.
  
<!--
 
 
* Committers:
 
* Committers:
** IBM - Xuan Chen, Kevin Doyle, Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight
+
** IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight
** Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber, Eugene Tarassov, Felix Burton
+
** Wind River - Martin Oberhuber
 
** ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
 
** ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
 
** MontaVista - Anna Dushistova  
 
** MontaVista - Anna Dushistova  
 
* Others:
 
** LANL / PTP Project - Greg Watson
 
** ARM - Anthony Berent
 
** TI - Dobrin Alexey
 
** Motorola - Maureen Brenner, Fabio Fantato, Daniel Franco, Christian Kurzke, Ruth Soliani
 
** Accelerated Technology - Aaron Spear, Mark Bozeman
 
** Freescale - Kirk Beitz
 
-->
 
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
Line 45: Line 35:
  
 
==== TM 3.0.2 ====
 
==== TM 3.0.2 ====
* Post-mortem
+
* Post-mortem: DaveM - worked reasonably well, 1 consumer wants something fixed after the fact but have a workaround
 +
* Martin: Build infra for 3.0.3 in place. Commits + Release into Mapfile should suffice. Version numbers must be updated (don't forget feature versions and site.xml). Martin wants committers to release and upversion themselves but is there to help in case of issues.
  
 
==== TM 3.1 Big Rocks ====
 
==== TM 3.1 Big Rocks ====
 
* '''TM 3.1 Big Rocks / New Features''' - See also the [http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=dsdp.tm TM 3.1 plan]
 
* '''TM 3.1 Big Rocks / New Features''' - See also the [http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=dsdp.tm TM 3.1 plan]
 +
** See also the [[TM and RSE FAQ]]
 
* '''Martin:'''
 
* '''Martin:'''
** {{bug|185925}} RSE Synchronisation (GSOC contribution)
+
** {{bug|185925}} RSE Synchronisation (GSOC contribution) - planned for M4
 
** {{bug|256581}} SSH performance improvement
 
** {{bug|256581}} SSH performance improvement
 
** {{bug|227750}} IRSEInteractionProvider
 
** {{bug|227750}} IRSEInteractionProvider
Line 56: Line 48:
 
** {{bug|257402}} get rid of CDT non-API use
 
** {{bug|257402}} get rid of CDT non-API use
 
** {{bug|227207}} threaded FTP download
 
** {{bug|227207}} threaded FTP download
** {{bug|196337}} Local terminal connector
+
** {{bug|196337}} Local terminal connector (Community contribution, cannot commit)
* '''Rado:''' {{bug|196176}} SWT deferred drag&drop
+
** Make TCF user-consumable
 +
* '''Rado:'''
 +
** {{bug|196176}} {{bug|181458}} {{bug|153652}} SWT deferred drag&drop - committed, Martin may be able to help with getting the ball rolling
 +
** {{bug|242381}} {{bug|239432}} {{bug|231431}} WinCE processes subsystem, bring WinCE component to maturity (out of incubation)
 
* '''DaveM:'''
 
* '''DaveM:'''
** {{bug|253481}} get rid of Platform non-API use
+
** {{bug|218227}} locating a resource in the remote systems view - related to {{bug|160105}} but higher-priority.
** {{bug|158770}} do not use Projects to cache RSE tempfiles (due to case sensitivity and charset differences)
+
** {{bug|253481}} get rid of Platform non-API use (probably part of it)
** {{bug|176461}} API to expand Systemview nodes to arbitrary level (specifying a path)
+
** {{bug|245260}} UI Preference to support different RSE tempfiles caches for different users / ports on the same host
 +
** {{bug|212742}} Utility to send commands without receiving output - works for dstore, not for others. probably want a callback.
 +
** {{bug|176461}} API to expand Systemview nodes to arbitrary level (specifying a path) - command stuff already has some infrastructure for this
 
** {{bug|218227}} contribute a "Show in RSE" action to project explorer
 
** {{bug|218227}} contribute a "Show in RSE" action to project explorer
** {{bug|203001}} support remote folder compares
 
 
* '''DaveD:'''
 
* '''DaveD:'''
** {{bug|222380}} {{bug|239158}} merging subsystems on import
+
** {{bug|222380}} {{bug|239158}} merging subsystems on import - goes together with performance - committed
** {{bug|176490}} improve connection property and wizard pages
+
** {{bug|244172}} {{bug|233748}} Persistence Provider Performance - goes together with merging - committed
** {{bug|193477}} link-with instead of lock icon in details view toolbar
+
** {{bug|243949}} persist only what was changed - start investigating, even if it can not be completed
** {{bug|169422}} Eclipse conform table sort icons
+
** {{bug|225320}} Equinox Secure Storage for RSE passwords - committed
** {{bug|225320}} Equinox Secure Storage for RSE passwords
+
** {{bug|192970}} deterministic mnemonics everywhere - we likely cannot get rid of the support for auto-computing mnemonics (too many products)
** {{bug|244172}} Persistence Provider Performance
+
*** Martin: include an optional "logger" in the mnemonics generation system: warn about auto-generated mnemonics, log the mnemonic assigned in a format that allows applying the generated mnemonic to the original property file
** {{bug|192970}} deterministic mnemonics everywhere
+
** {{bug|189238}} (regression) connection order is not persisted - make it a property of the View
** {{bug|148977}} propose default filter names
+
** The following are not "big rocks" but will be added to the schedule for M5
** {{bug|153249}} launch-shell contextmenu on filter nodes
+
** {{bug|169422}} Eclipse conform table sort icons - small UI
 +
** {{bug|148977}} propose default filter names - small
 +
** {{bug|153249}} launch-shell contextmenu on filter nodes - small
 +
** {{bug|193477}} link-with instead of lock icon in details view toolbar - small UI
 
* '''Michael:'''
 
* '''Michael:'''
** {{bug|185348}} Terminal API
+
** {{bug|185348}} Terminal API - committed
 
** {{bug|209875}} allow capturing terminal output
 
** {{bug|209875}} allow capturing terminal output
 
** {{bug|196462}} optional fixed-width terminal
 
** {{bug|196462}} optional fixed-width terminal
 +
** Make TCF user-consumable
 
* '''Anna:'''
 
* '''Anna:'''
** {{bug|181517}} Remotecdt commands before application launch / before opening a shell or terminal
+
** {{bug|259363}} Move terminal subsystem out of incubation - committed
* '''Kevin:'''
+
** {{bug|181517}} {{bug|181402}} Remotecdt commands before application launch / before opening a shell or terminal - committed
 +
** {{bug|164959}} API for IHostShell#waitFor(), IHostShell#writeToShellAndWait() - need to check
 +
** {{bug|246987}} {{bug|246997}} Launching commands through TCF - committed
 +
* '''Kevin:''' - cannot commit to anything, but will look following items in order
 +
** {{bug|168000}} remote search folder editing
 
** {{bug|245039}} migrate actionSets to commands
 
** {{bug|245039}} migrate actionSets to commands
 
** {{bug|185925}} bugfix RSE Sync GSOC contribution
 
** {{bug|185925}} bugfix RSE Sync GSOC contribution
** {{bug|168000}} remote search folder editing
+
** {{bug|214403}} remote search features
* '''Xuan:'''
+
* '''Xuan:''' - cannot commit to anything, but will look following items in order
 
** {{bug|225211}} support for WAR archives
 
** {{bug|225211}} support for WAR archives
** {{bug|254129}} Galileo basic activity definitions
+
** {{bug|254129}} {{bug|172650}} Galileo basic activity definitions
** Add Unittests (SWTBot)
+
** {{bug|196317}} {{bug|199858}} {{bug|142184}} some RSE logging should go into a hidden log rather than the PDE Errorlog (investigate java.util.logging / commons logging) -- unsure
 +
** Add Unittests (SWTBot) -- unsure
 
* '''3.1 Deferred Big Rocks / Features'''
 
* '''3.1 Deferred Big Rocks / Features'''
** none currently
+
** {{bug|158770}} {{bug|160100}} do not use Projects to cache RSE tempfiles (due to case sensitivity and charset differences)
 +
** {{bug|174495}} Multiple subsystems of the same kind under 1 host (e.g. ftp files + dstore files) - need investigation
 +
** {{bug|176490}} improve connection property and wizard pages - too big
 +
** {{bug|203001}} support remote folder compares -- depends on gsoc synchronize
  
 
====TM 3.1 Current status====
 
====TM 3.1 Current status====
 +
* TM 3.1m4 officially due on Monday Dec 29 -- Martin can release on Dec 23 -- need a candidate ready by Friday Dec 19 !
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=3.0&target_milestone=3.0.1&target_milestone=3.1+M2&target_milestone=3.1+M3&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit 3.1M3 Assigned Open bugs] - '''AI Everyone''' reassign target milestone as appropriate
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=3.0&target_milestone=3.0.1&target_milestone=3.1+M2&target_milestone=3.1+M3&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit 3.1M3 Assigned Open bugs] - '''AI Everyone''' reassign target milestone as appropriate
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major] open bugs, [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor High Priority] open bugs, [[DSDP/TM/3.0 Known Issues and Workarounds]]
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major] open bugs, [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor High Priority] open bugs, [[DSDP/TM/3.0 Known Issues and Workarounds]]
* Many patches on bugzilla, feel free to commit to 3.1 stream... avoid too many patches
 
** Community contributions: 38 [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=attachments.ispatch&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=1 Open bugs with patches] right now, should apply before patches get outdated (see also the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/bug_process.php Bug Process Page] for a query)
 
 
==== Individual Status ====
 
* '''Anna''': Finished Telnet Terminal Rework, wants patch reviewed -- '''AI Martin''' review
 
* '''DaveD''': Finishing IBM stuff, triage of 3.1m3 bugs and 3.1 big rocks on friday, want fix backlog
 
* '''DaveM''': Looking at Search OutOfMemory issue
 
* '''Kevin''': Verifying 3.0.2 stuff
 
* '''Xuan''': Verifying 3.0.2 stuff - planning to fix Junit issue / bugs next week
 
* '''Martin''': RXTX this week; RSE-build/releng next week, big rock bugs after: {{bug|227750}} IRSEInteractionProvider, {{Bug|239230}} Early startup
 
* '''Rado''': Cancel-copy, WinCE, {{Bug|196176}} - Deferred drag&drop SWT
 
 
==== Other Stuff ====
 
* {{Bug|238574}} Website Revamp - image from the Community is good, need some time to revamp the contents - '''AI DaveD''' next week
 
** Improve homepage at least, use the Community photoshopped screenshot; PDT, Mylyn are nice
 
 
=== Community Feedback and Status ===
 
* Community contributions
 
** Patrick Juhl - SSH Tunnel - no news. In JSch Session.setPortForwardingL() there seems to be an incompatibility between Eclipse 3.3 and 3.4 (according to JSch mailing list). SSH Tunnel being used by [http://desktop-eclipse.open.collab.net/source/browse/desktop-eclipse/trunk/plugins/com.collabnet.cubit/ Collabnet Cubit]
 
** {{bug|196337}} - TM Local Terminal Connector - waiting on fix for CDT Spawner
 
** Freescale contributions to be reviewed - {{bug|247876}} apply host to project; {{bug|247878}} systemHostCombo with subsystems; {{bug|247879}} project cache for RSE host settings
 
** {{bug|236205}} Generic Display subsystem (as a host for vnc etc)
 
 
=== Technology sub-groups ===
 
 
=== '''Old Stuff''' ===
 
* {{Bug|240991}} Startup creates Display on Worker Thread
 
** Workarounds seem to be good for now. Martin would prefer experimenting with IRSEInteractionProvider in HEAD
 
 
* Unittests
 
** {{Bug|230917}} [regression] Some DStore Archive Testcases fail -- '''AI Xuan''' look at
 
** Abbot pretty much dead -- looking at SWTBot now
 
 
* Findbugs and other cleanup
 
** Broken Links in Docs: Xenu's LinkSleuth
 
 
* '''Quality, Backlog and Unit Tests'''
 
** Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan
 
** Current situation is on [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2007-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&format=table&action=wrap&negate0=1&field0-0-0=resolution&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=DUPLICATE this bugzilla report]
 
 
==== Cleanup Work ====
 
* Unittests, unittests, unittests! -- ideally write an accompanying unittest for every bugfix
 
* Migration Notes (for 2.0 / for 1.0?)
 
* Review and improve Userdocs; we have several open bugs here
 
* Review and improve Javadocs; lots still missing, unclear, duplicated
 
* Fix broken hyperlinks in the docs, fix HTML/XML errors (which can make the indexer not work)
 
* Get rid of compiler warnings wherever possible
 
* Run Findbugs -- Update site on http://findbugs.cs.umd.edu/eclipse, Quickdocs by Rado in [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dsdp-tm-dev/msg01869.html tm-dev E-Mail]
 
** Question about filtering false positives posted on fb-discuss [https://mailman.cs.umd.edu/pipermail/findbugs-discuss/2008-May/002374.html link]
 
* Stuff for 3.1
 
** API Tooling Javadocs(@noextend and friends) - cannot limit existing API more than it was before, unless it was textually documented already, but can deprecate stuff, even in 3.0.1.
 
  
 
=== Questions ===
 
=== Questions ===
  
 
== Vacations ==
 
== Vacations ==
* Martin monday Dec 8 (public holiday)
 
 
* DaveD, Martin last week of dec and 1st week of Jan
 
* DaveD, Martin last week of dec and 1st week of Jan
 +
* DaveM vacation Dec 18,19 - only in half days afterwards (part time until Jan 6)
 +
* Rado working Mon 22,23 - vacation until Jan 6
 +
* Anna Jan1 - Jan10
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
Line 156: Line 116:
 
* Last [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 26-Nov-2008]]
 
* Last [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 26-Nov-2008]]
 
* '''Everyone''' find/triage "big rock" bugs for 3.1 and increase priority / set target milestone (may decrease priority on others).
 
* '''Everyone''' find/triage "big rock" bugs for 3.1 and increase priority / set target milestone (may decrease priority on others).
* '''Martin''' create API internal bugs; release 3.0.2; review Anna's patch; '''old''' review {{bug|196176}} Rado's deferred D&D; new Builder '''until 3.1M4'''; {{bug|227750}} Display in non-UI write fix '''until 3.1M4'''; Run performance tests for {{bug|236065}} IFileService improvements; Critical EFS bugs;
+
* '''Martin''' send E-Mail to Xuan and Kevin asking for another meeting for big rocks
* '''Xuan''': '''old''' Look at {{Bug|230917}} Archive Handler Unittests
+
* '''DaveD''' {{bug|238574}} Website revamp; '''old''' get rid of 3.0 assigned open bugs;
+
* '''DaveM''' '''old''' {{bug|199596}} Read-Only attribute doesn't always update IRemoteFile;
+
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
* Next [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 7-Jan-2009]] (2 weeks after)
 
* Next [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 7-Jan-2009]] (2 weeks after)
* Next [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 21-Jan-2009]] (4 weeks after)
+
* Next [[DSDP/TM/Meetings/21-Jan-2009 Committer]] (4 weeks after)

Latest revision as of 14:09, 21 January 2009

Meeting Title: TM Committer Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Dec 17, 2008 at 1700 UTC / 12pm Toronto
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Martin to call everybody by Skype
Interested Parties ping martin.oberhuber on Skype Chat for getting added to the call.

Backup dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588 / Freephone +1 (866) 6161738 / UK 08712460713 / Passcode: 0587322148 #

Skype dial-in: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, eugenetarassov, michael_scharf, uwe.stieber, radoslav.gerganov, wrsfburton, anna_dushistova.


Contents

[edit] Attendees

This meeting is free for everyone to attend. It's a service of the TM developers and committers to community, fostering exchange of upcoming news, status and asking questions. Committers are expected to attend.

  • Committers:
    • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight
    • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber
    • ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
    • MontaVista - Anna Dushistova

[edit] Agenda

[edit] Last Meetings

[edit] Update on RSE Status

[edit] TM 3.0.2

  • Post-mortem: DaveM - worked reasonably well, 1 consumer wants something fixed after the fact but have a workaround
  • Martin: Build infra for 3.0.3 in place. Commits + Release into Mapfile should suffice. Version numbers must be updated (don't forget feature versions and site.xml). Martin wants committers to release and upversion themselves but is there to help in case of issues.

[edit] TM 3.1 Big Rocks

  • TM 3.1 Big Rocks / New Features - See also the TM 3.1 plan
  • Martin:
  • Rado:
  • DaveM:
    • bug 218227 locating a resource in the remote systems view - related to bug 160105 but higher-priority.
    • bug 253481 get rid of Platform non-API use (probably part of it)
    • bug 245260 UI Preference to support different RSE tempfiles caches for different users / ports on the same host
    • bug 212742 Utility to send commands without receiving output - works for dstore, not for others. probably want a callback.
    • bug 176461 API to expand Systemview nodes to arbitrary level (specifying a path) - command stuff already has some infrastructure for this
    • bug 218227 contribute a "Show in RSE" action to project explorer
  • DaveD:
    • bug 222380 bug 239158 merging subsystems on import - goes together with performance - committed
    • bug 244172 bug 233748 Persistence Provider Performance - goes together with merging - committed
    • bug 243949 persist only what was changed - start investigating, even if it can not be completed
    • bug 225320 Equinox Secure Storage for RSE passwords - committed
    • bug 192970 deterministic mnemonics everywhere - we likely cannot get rid of the support for auto-computing mnemonics (too many products)
      • Martin: include an optional "logger" in the mnemonics generation system: warn about auto-generated mnemonics, log the mnemonic assigned in a format that allows applying the generated mnemonic to the original property file
    • bug 189238 (regression) connection order is not persisted - make it a property of the View
    • The following are not "big rocks" but will be added to the schedule for M5
    • bug 169422 Eclipse conform table sort icons - small UI
    • bug 148977 propose default filter names - small
    • bug 153249 launch-shell contextmenu on filter nodes - small
    • bug 193477 link-with instead of lock icon in details view toolbar - small UI
  • Michael:
  • Anna:
    • bug 259363 Move terminal subsystem out of incubation - committed
    • bug 181517 bug 181402 Remotecdt commands before application launch / before opening a shell or terminal - committed
    • bug 164959 API for IHostShell#waitFor(), IHostShell#writeToShellAndWait() - need to check
    • bug 246987 bug 246997 Launching commands through TCF - committed
  • Kevin: - cannot commit to anything, but will look following items in order
  • Xuan: - cannot commit to anything, but will look following items in order
  • 3.1 Deferred Big Rocks / Features
    • bug 158770 bug 160100 do not use Projects to cache RSE tempfiles (due to case sensitivity and charset differences)
    • bug 174495 Multiple subsystems of the same kind under 1 host (e.g. ftp files + dstore files) - need investigation
    • bug 176490 improve connection property and wizard pages - too big
    • bug 203001 support remote folder compares -- depends on gsoc synchronize

[edit] TM 3.1 Current status

[edit] Questions

[edit] Vacations

  • DaveD, Martin last week of dec and 1st week of Jan
  • DaveM vacation Dec 18,19 - only in half days afterwards (part time until Jan 6)
  • Rado working Mon 22,23 - vacation until Jan 6
  • Anna Jan1 - Jan10

[edit] Action Items

[edit] Next Meeting