Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 16-Jul-2008"

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: {|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 | Meeting Title: | '''TM Committer Phone Meeting''' |- | Date & Time: | Wednesday July 16, 2008 at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetin...)
 
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 18: Line 18:
  
 
== Invited Attendees ==
 
== Invited Attendees ==
* IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Rupen Mardirossian, Kevin Doyle
+
* IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kevin Doyle
 
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber, Eugene Tarassov, Felix Burton
 
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber, Eugene Tarassov, Felix Burton
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus
 
 
* ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
 
* ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
 
* MontaVista - Anna Dushistova
 
* MontaVista - Anna Dushistova
Line 26: Line 25:
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
  
== Agenda ==
+
== Attendees ==
 +
* Attendees: Martin, Uwe, DaveM, Kevin, Xuan
 +
* Regrets: Anna, DaveD, Rado, Michael, Eugene, Felix
 +
 
 +
== Notes ==
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 2-Jul-2008]]
 
* Last meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 2-Jul-2008]]
 
* Prev meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 9-Jun-2008]]
 
* Prev meeting: [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 9-Jun-2008]]
Line 32: Line 35:
  
 
=== '''New Stuff''' ===
 
=== '''New Stuff''' ===
 +
* {{Bug|240991}} Startup creates Display on Worker Thread
 +
** DaveM: RSEUIPlugin.start() is not on the Main thread! Seems to be reproducable when Eclipse is "Restarted" rather than "Started". Issue is hit because Logger is instantiated from RSEUIPlugin.start(), registers Preference / ModelChangeEvent, which leads to DaveD's workaround for {{Bug|227750}} to fail
 +
** Martin: How is the backtrace (Restart) created? Even the intended fix (using a non-UI IRSEInteractionProvider) would not fix this
 +
** Uwe: Swing/SWT Integration? Is any plugin directly using Bundle.loadClass? That's dangerous since it changes the startlevel
 +
** Martin: Could instantiation of the Logger be deferred from RSEUIPlugin.start() to somewhere else (later)?
 +
** People are concerned about using Display.getDefault() -- using IWorkbench.getDisplay() is recommended instead (or, use PlatformUI.isWorkbenchRunning())
 +
** '''AI DaveM''' Comment on Bugzilla what is done in the debuggee to get the backtrace on StartLevelEventThread (Martin cannot reproduce)
 +
** '''AI DaveM''' Try to instantiate the Logger later, or at least try deferring addition of the ModelChangeListeners
 +
** '''AI Martin''' Write the real fix (interaction providers) mid August
  
=== '''Hot Bugs being discussed''' ===
+
* {{Bug|240998}} Extension Point for User Actions
* {{Bug|233461}} Refresh expanded Folders -- IFileService#list to return children and parent in one step, how to be API compatible?
+
** Kevin: EP used to add compile commands -- will eventually want to get rid of this extension point, will look at workarounds - '''AI Kevin''' mark bug as INVALID or WONTFIX
** DaveM: Not in favor of changing API, don't expect getFile() to be expensive, Cache in Service Layer. Against explicit API change. Plain semantic change is the least of the evils.
+
** Martin against Caching on Service Layer.
+
** Original bug as specified must be fixed - want the fix in there as soon as possible, because it fixes IRemoteFile problems
+
** '''AI Martin''' can easily adapt unittests to run performance metrics
+
** Split up the bug: Original {{Bug|233461}} for the original problem only, include a small patch WITHOUT API change but with unittests. Create a new bug for the API Changes / Preformance Improvements, with the 2nd part of the patch. Discuss API separately. Original bug to be committed into an I-build today. '''AI Martin and Dave''' to hook up on Skype later today.
+
* {{Bug|235600}} Downrev ftp, local, ssh, telnet features to 2.1.0 was intentional!
+
* {{Bug|235221}} Files truncated on exit of Eclipse -- '''AI DaveD''' prioritize bug
+
* {{Bug|199596}} [refresh][ftp] Changing a file/folder's Read-Only attribute doesn't always update IRemoteFile -- is it fixed now? -- patch not yet committed?
+
* {{Bug|234038}} [files][refresh] Changing file permissions does not update property sheet or refresh tree -- is it fixed? -- patch not yet committed? -- '''AI DaveM''' create new bug for Tableview
+
* {{Bug|235145}} Remove Create Project Action -- DaveD: Document the process of creating a remote project, but get rid of the action? - Martin: See FAQ,  
+
** Decision: Action is not ready for products, therefore remove it now or allow to programmatically disable it
+
* {{Bug|234026}} [apidoc] IFileService#createFolder() does not specify whether parent folders are created
+
** Update Service Docs and Impl to make the Service create parent folders
+
* {{Bug|227750}} [efs][regression] Eclipse with RSE 3.0 don't start or Display problems -- DaveD: Sounds like should be deferred to 3.1
+
* {{Bug|230917}} [regression] Some DStore Archive Testcases fail -- '''AI Xuan''' look at, probably move to 3.0.1 during weekend
+
 
+
=== '''Plan for Next Steps''' ===
+
 
+
* '''Bug Triage'''
+
** '''AI Everyone''' '''must review your assigned bugs''' and move to 3.0.1 where possible
+
** All "3.0" assigned bugs must be triaged now and either assigned a proper RC milestone or 3.0.1 (with the exception of Documentation-only fixes)
+
** Work on remaining ones by priority
+
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=3.0+M5&target_milestone=3.0+M6&target_milestone=3.0+M7&target_milestone=3.0+RC1&target_milestone=3.0+RC2&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit Open RC2 Assigned] bugs, [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&target_milestone=3.0+RC2&target_milestone=3.0+RC3&target_milestone=3.0+RC4&target_milestone=3.0&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit open 3.0 Assigned] bugs
+
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor Hi-Priority]
+
** Current Statistics: 1 blocker (Martin), 1 critical (Martin), 8 major (DaveD, Kevin, Martin, Michael), 23 other P2's -- was 10 major / 20 P2's last week
+
** Community contributions: Only few [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=attachments.ispatch&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=1 unapplied patches] right now, last chance to apply now before 3.0 (see also the [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/bug_process.php Bug Process Page] for a query)
+
 
+
* Martin's new Build System for Dave
+
** In the works
+
 
+
* '''New and Noteworthy'''
+
** I'll need a list of new features for a New&Noteworthy, and for the Release Review. Release Review material is due next week.
+
** See [[CDT/User/NewIn50]] for example; for TM, I put most news into our Build Notes already, so it should be possible to compile the N&N out of the build notes
+
** For the N&N, please make screenshots and work on "your" new features, e.g.
+
*** Useractions
+
 
+
* '''Cleanup Work'''
+
** Besides the hi-priority issues, there is a LOT of cleanup to do. What do we consider must-have's?
+
*** Unittests, unittests, unittests!
+
*** '''New releng scripts''' on dsdp.eclipse.org (Martin: must-have before his vacation)
+
*** '''Copyright Year Updates''' (Run the releng Copyrights Tool)
+
*** Migration Notes (for 2.0 / for 1.0?)
+
*** API Tooling Javadocs(@noextend and friends) - {{Bug|227368}}, [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=225529#c6 bug 225529 comment 4] and [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=225529#c6 bug 225529 comment 6] - [[DSDP/TM/Code Ownership]]
+
*** Review and improve Userdocs; we have several open bugs here
+
*** Review and improve Javadocs; lots still missing, unclear, duplicated
+
*** Fix broken hyperlinks in the docs, fix HTML/XML errors (which can make the indexer not work)
+
*** Get rid of compiler warnings wherever possible
+
*** Add more Unittests -- ideally write an accompanying unittest for every bugfix
+
*** Run Findbugs -- Update site on http://findbugs.cs.umd.edu/eclipse, Quickdocs by Rado in [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dsdp-tm-dev/msg01869.html tm-dev E-Mail]
+
**** Question about filtering false positives posted on fb-discuss [https://mailman.cs.umd.edu/pipermail/findbugs-discuss/2008-May/002374.html link]
+
** '''TM Website:''' revamp should really be complete for Ganymede! Kevin and Martin won't have time. DaveD will try to get to it, but cannot promise.
+
 
+
  
=== Questions ===
+
* {{Bug|238574}} '''Website Revamp'''
* '''DaveD''' context menu on SystemView / TeamView: something going on with the way how items are being added. Bringing up the context menu immediately after startup shows some debugger related stuff. Martin: {{Bug|208062}}
+
** '''AI Martin''' ask the Community (Remy, Nick)
  
=== '''Old Stuff''' ===
+
* Unittests
* '''Unit Tests''' - next priority after API
+
** Martin added "soft disable" capability for Unittests -- when writing new tests, please add the if(isTestDisabled()) return;
* Migrating to new Releng on dsdp.eclipse.org (adopt P2, nightly tests, signing etc)
+
** Multi-Target: RSEFileStoreTest and FileServiceTest;
 +
** Xuan: Kevin trying some Abbot stuff, might contribute -- Abbot is under CPL
 +
** '''AI Martin''' New build driver -- deadline Jul/31
 +
** Xuan: Want to release themselves
 +
*** '''AI Martin''' Add M-build Cronjob for Tue 0600 Ottawa time
 +
*** Relengtool: [http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.4-200806172000/index.php#org.eclipse.releng Download]
 +
*** '''AI Xuan''' Release yourself - Process: Select plugins to release, right-click > Team > Release '''Be sure to not release inconsistent stuff''', i.e. fixes that depend on other stuff that you're not releasing
 +
** {{Bug|230917}} [regression] Some DStore Archive Testcases fail -- '''AI Xuan''' look at
 +
** New Build System due Jul 31 ('''AI Martin''')
  
* '''Bugzilla''':
+
* Findbugs and other cleanup
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
+
** Broken Links in Docs: Xenu's LinkSleuth
 +
** Xuan: DVT, {{bug|240940}}, {{bug|240972}} high priority fixes - '''AI DaveM''' address
  
* '''Quality, Backlog and Unit Tests'''
+
* 3.1 Plan
** Remember our 2-fix-per-week / 3 unittests-per-milestone plan
+
** Martin marked some bugzilla items with "plan" keyword
** Current situation is on [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/report.cgi?x_axis_field=&y_axis_field=assigned_to&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfieldfrom=2007-09-17&chfieldto=Now&chfield=bug_status&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED&format=table&action=wrap&negate0=1&field0-0-0=resolution&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=DUPLICATE this bugzilla report]
+
** '''AI Everyone''' attach "plan" keyword to "interesting" i.e. larger or important bugs, until end July
 +
** DSDP presentation to the Board on Sep 17, IBM wants to review the draft, '''AI Martin''' check, '''AI Xuan''' check deadline
  
 
== Vacation, away ==  
 
== Vacation, away ==  
* Martin vacation June 11 - 22 -- '''AI Martin''' finish and test the new Build scripts on dsdp.eclipse.org till then
+
* Martin vacation Jul 21-22, on and off on Thurs and Fri Jul 17-18
* DaveM vacation June 16 - 20
+
* DaveM vacation first week of August
 
* DaveD in July
 
* DaveD in July
 +
* Anna in July
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Jun-2008#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
+
* [[#Notes|Last Meeting]] Action Items
* '''Everyone''':
+
* '''Everyone''': attach "plan" keyword to "interesting" bugs for 3.1 '''until end July'''
** Triage 3.0 and earlier assigned bugs and move to 3.0.1 / 3.1 what we can
+
* '''Anna''':
** '''Add @noextend etc''' according to [[DSDP/TM/Code Ownership]] table;
+
* '''DaveD''':  
** Update the New&Noteworthy (Martin will send a separate E-Mail)
+
* '''DaveM''': {{bug|240991}}: comment on bug how the backtrace is created in the debugger, try registering logger events later; DVT {{bug|240940}}, {{bug|240972}} fix; '''old:''' commit {{bug|199596}}; {{bug|233480}} - tell the team to use custom newConnectionWizards extension
** Bug fixes, cleanup, unittests
+
* '''Kevin''': {{bug|240998}} compile commands extension point mark INVALID or WONTFIX
* '''DaveD''': Test initial install of RC2 from Ganymede (CDT, EMF dependencies!); Test JEE package (when available as RC3); Prioritize {{Bug|235221}}; Commit {{Bug|234215}}; Prepare EFS Userdocs along the lines of [[TM and RSE FAQ#Why is the Outline View empty when editing a remote PHP or C file?]]
+
* '''Xuan''': Get Releng tool and release fixes yourself for bi-weekly M-builds; check deadline for PMC Board Presentation review; '''old''' Look at {{Bug|230917}} Archive Handler Unittests
* '''DaveM''': Commit {{bug|199596}}, {{bug|234038}}; File new bug for tableview issue; work with Martin on {{bug|233461}}; {{bug|233480}} - tell the team to use custom newConnectionWizards extension
+
* '''Martin''': Cronjob for Tue 0600 M-builds; {{bug|238574}} Website ask for Community Help; new Builder '''until end July'''; {{bug|227750}} Display in non-UI write fix '''until mid August'''; '''old''' Run performance tests for {{bug|233461}}; Test 2.0->3.0 Update; Update Project Plan; File new bug for {{bug|165171}}; Critical EFS bugs; Finish new Releng and tell DaveD; Get started on New&Noteworthy; Create an initial 3.1 plan
* '''Kevin''': -
+
* '''Rupen''': -
+
* '''Xuan''': Text Import/Export; Look at {{Bug|230917}} Archive Handler Unittests
+
* '''Martin''': Run performance tests for {{bug|233461}}; Test 2.0->3.0 Update; Tell DaveD when JEE RC3 is ready; Prepare I-build for {{bug|233461}} when done; Update Project Plan; File new bug for {{bug|165171}}; Critical EFS bugs; Finish new Releng and tell DaveD; Get started on New&Noteworthy; Create an initial 3.1 plan
+
 
* '''Javier''': Hi-PRI FTP BUGS
 
* '''Javier''': Hi-PRI FTP BUGS
* '''Michael''': Terminal: Try to fix {{bug|185348}}, {{bug|204796}}
+
* '''Michael''': Terminal: Work on {{bug|185348}} Terminal API
 
* '''Uwe''': -
 
* '''Uwe''': -
 
* '''Rado''': -
 
* '''Rado''': -

Latest revision as of 12:27, 16 July 2008

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday July 16, 2008 at 1600 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1100 Rochester / 1200 Toronto / 1800 Salzburg
Dial-in: Martin to call everybody by Skype

Backup dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588 / Freephone +1 (866) 6161738 / UK 08712460713 / Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype dial-in: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, eugenetarassov, michael_scharf, uwe.stieber, radoslav.gerganov, wrsfburton.

Contents

[edit] Invited Attendees

  • IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kevin Doyle
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber, Eugene Tarassov, Felix Burton
  • ProSyst - Radoslav Gerganov
  • MontaVista - Anna Dushistova

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

[edit] Attendees

  • Attendees: Martin, Uwe, DaveM, Kevin, Xuan
  • Regrets: Anna, DaveD, Rado, Michael, Eugene, Felix

[edit] Notes

[edit] New Stuff

  • bug 240991 Startup creates Display on Worker Thread
    • DaveM: RSEUIPlugin.start() is not on the Main thread! Seems to be reproducable when Eclipse is "Restarted" rather than "Started". Issue is hit because Logger is instantiated from RSEUIPlugin.start(), registers Preference / ModelChangeEvent, which leads to DaveD's workaround for bug 227750 to fail
    • Martin: How is the backtrace (Restart) created? Even the intended fix (using a non-UI IRSEInteractionProvider) would not fix this
    • Uwe: Swing/SWT Integration? Is any plugin directly using Bundle.loadClass? That's dangerous since it changes the startlevel
    • Martin: Could instantiation of the Logger be deferred from RSEUIPlugin.start() to somewhere else (later)?
    • People are concerned about using Display.getDefault() -- using IWorkbench.getDisplay() is recommended instead (or, use PlatformUI.isWorkbenchRunning())
    • AI DaveM Comment on Bugzilla what is done in the debuggee to get the backtrace on StartLevelEventThread (Martin cannot reproduce)
    • AI DaveM Try to instantiate the Logger later, or at least try deferring addition of the ModelChangeListeners
    • AI Martin Write the real fix (interaction providers) mid August
  • bug 240998 Extension Point for User Actions
    • Kevin: EP used to add compile commands -- will eventually want to get rid of this extension point, will look at workarounds - AI Kevin mark bug as INVALID or WONTFIX
  • bug 238574 Website Revamp
    • AI Martin ask the Community (Remy, Nick)
  • Unittests
    • Martin added "soft disable" capability for Unittests -- when writing new tests, please add the if(isTestDisabled()) return;
    • Multi-Target: RSEFileStoreTest and FileServiceTest;
    • Xuan: Kevin trying some Abbot stuff, might contribute -- Abbot is under CPL
    • AI Martin New build driver -- deadline Jul/31
    • Xuan: Want to release themselves
      • AI Martin Add M-build Cronjob for Tue 0600 Ottawa time
      • Relengtool: Download
      • AI Xuan Release yourself - Process: Select plugins to release, right-click > Team > Release Be sure to not release inconsistent stuff, i.e. fixes that depend on other stuff that you're not releasing
    • bug 230917 [regression] Some DStore Archive Testcases fail -- AI Xuan look at
    • New Build System due Jul 31 (AI Martin)
  • Findbugs and other cleanup
    • Broken Links in Docs: Xenu's LinkSleuth
    • Xuan: DVT, bug 240940, bug 240972 high priority fixes - AI DaveM address
  • 3.1 Plan
    • Martin marked some bugzilla items with "plan" keyword
    • AI Everyone attach "plan" keyword to "interesting" i.e. larger or important bugs, until end July
    • DSDP presentation to the Board on Sep 17, IBM wants to review the draft, AI Martin check, AI Xuan check deadline

[edit] Vacation, away

  • Martin vacation Jul 21-22, on and off on Thurs and Fri Jul 17-18
  • DaveM vacation first week of August
  • DaveD in July
  • Anna in July

[edit] Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • Everyone: attach "plan" keyword to "interesting" bugs for 3.1 until end July
  • Anna:
  • DaveD:
  • DaveM: bug 240991: comment on bug how the backtrace is created in the debugger, try registering logger events later; DVT bug 240940, bug 240972 fix; old: commit bug 199596; bug 233480 - tell the team to use custom newConnectionWizards extension
  • Kevin: bug 240998 compile commands extension point mark INVALID or WONTFIX
  • Xuan: Get Releng tool and release fixes yourself for bi-weekly M-builds; check deadline for PMC Board Presentation review; old Look at bug 230917 Archive Handler Unittests
  • Martin: Cronjob for Tue 0600 M-builds; bug 238574 Website ask for Community Help; new Builder until end July; bug 227750 Display in non-UI write fix until mid August; old Run performance tests for bug 233461; Test 2.0->3.0 Update; Update Project Plan; File new bug for bug 165171; Critical EFS bugs; Finish new Releng and tell DaveD; Get started on New&Noteworthy; Create an initial 3.1 plan
  • Javier: Hi-PRI FTP BUGS
  • Michael: Terminal: Work on bug 185348 Terminal API
  • Uwe: -
  • Rado: -
  • Felix: -
  • Eugene: -

[edit] Next Meeting