Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 16-Jan-2007"

< DSDP‎ | TM
Line 154: Line 154:
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 30-Jan-2007]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=1&day=23hour=16&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 1600 UTC] (2 weeks due to Symbian PluginFest)
+
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 30-Jan-2007]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=1&day=23hour=17&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 1700 UTC] (2 weeks due to Symbian PluginFest; 1 hr later due to Orbit call)
 
* Open [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 7-Feb-2007]] at 9am PST
 
* Open [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 7-Feb-2007]] at 9am PST
  

Revision as of 13:19, 16 January 2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 at 1600 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Ted Williams

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help: being responsive
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site

Recent Download Statistics

RSE 1.0 Download statistics as per 16-Jan-2007
Component RC3 RC4 1.0 1.0.1 2.0M4 Note
Date 30-Oct 03-Nov 12-Nov 15-Dec 4-Jan
RSE-SDK 113 146 469 363 22
rse-runtime-core 14 105 64 4
rseserver-windows 24 63 190 54 5
rseserver-linux 19 25 138 53 8
rse.core (Update Site) 64 52 172 317 1.0 src is 156
Total 177 212 746 744
examples 27 85 48 + 177 8
remotecdt 7 66 61 + 87 13 per 1.0.1, remotecdt is no longer in SDK
discovery 13 68 39 + 138 7
efs 12 42 39 + 162 10
terminal - - 73 + 109 13

Latest News

Martin 50% EclipseCon tutorial; SVN eval; 2.0 planning; newsgroup-launching; terminal; builds; Platform communications 50%
DaveD 80% UI/Non-UI; Got UserActions into IBM legal; Design for Persistence 80%
DaveM 60% EclipseCon tutorial; fixed some bugs related to SimpleCommands; read-only flags; 70%
Kushal 0% Encodings 0%
Javier 20% Preparing the PluginFest 20%
Ted 0% 0%
Uwe 0% Filing bugs 0%
Michael 20% Terminal record&play, performance; 0%
  • Connection Testcases and Montavista Processes accepted by EMO

Upcoming Work

  • Top priority this week is getting started with the "big rocks" in bugzilla, for RSE 2.0 Planning
    • add unit tests for all new or modified API
  • RSE 2.0 Planning
    • 1. Make APIs usable for clients, harden the APIs, improve documentation
      • UI/Non-UI separation (Condition of Satisfaction: be able to do a headless launch; try to reduce number of plugins? - DaveM be able to use service layer without profiles, persistence etc.; DaveM could envision service layer as part of ECF or similar; put subsystem.files together with subsystem.files)
      • Be able to do ssh non-ui only? Would need an API for password / passphrase prompting in RSE core.
      • SystemType improvements; retargetable actions/commands;
      • read-only flags [java.io: cannot change a file to read-only;] want a capability API for services to report if they can set r-o or not? - Not yet, just report an error.
      • timestamp, ro-flags: still TBD for ssh and ftp
      • Streams for IHostShell, IFileService - upload already allows an InputStream; download will need new API; may be a problem for dstore since the agent "pushes" the file; ftp allows canceling the download
      • Asynchronous API/callbacks; How is the client informed about job completion? Event? Callback? Progressmonitor? - Progressmonitor is created by the job typically, so we have no control over the progress [could use a SubProgressMonitor]? Use Java5 Concurrency classes?
      • IHostShell changes for Terminal;
    • 2. Make EFS work
      • Kushal looking at it - problem is the strictness of resource locking / scheduling rules
    • 3. Play well with the Platform
      • retargetable actions/commands; capabilities; icu4j; Orbit; ssh prefs; drag&drop
    • 4. Improve overall quality (unit tests; special characters; long filenames; background jobs; parallel access; logging; ...)
    • 5. New Features
      • Import/Export & User actions; Terminal-in-rse; Persistence-as-xmlfile; Service enablement
  • Think about limiting the API: Make APIs internal along the way of updating documentation, and making Unit tests, we'll see some API we want "internal".
    • Remove RSE Performance Logging; place contents of logging into core
    • Reduce number of plugins (once UI/Non-UI separation is done, have e.g. ssh.core and ssh.ui but not more)
  • Add Montavista shell processes subsystem
  • Add DaveM's multishell? - Could help with Terminal integration;
    • would need lots of cleanup; would raise questions why there are two shellviews;
    • better wait for cleaner grouping concepts to come next year
  • Fix N-builds (second workspace, use Ted's scripts)
    • Orbit bundles to be added differently
    • Unittests to run every night
    • Version Number Changes to be done by Martin
    • Copyright Year Changes
  • For bugs, see the bug process page (assigned to inbox, plan items, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch)
  • Compiler Warnings
    • Good progress, please continue. See the Committer Howto for settings
      • 109 -> 113 -> 113 -> 3 connectorservice.dstore
      • 176 -> 265 -> 161 -> 12 rse.core
      • 474 -> 558 -> 558 -> 94 files.ui
      • 637 -> 662 -> 662 -> 23 services
      • 221 -> 250 -> 248 -> 27 subsystems.files.core
      • 1622 -> 346 -> 293 -> 192 rse.ui
  • Quality
    • Docs are a high priority. Add ISV Javadoc where it is still missing or incorrect; review, and improve all docs

Communications

  • General code cleanup -- to do right after M4:
    • Get rid of unused icons, e.g. rse.ui/icons/full/obj16/system390_obj.gif, IBM_logo.gif
    • Get rid of commented out source code
    • Get rid of unused properties (chkpii)
  • Change Requests
  • Vacations, Holidays etc.
    • Michael travelling next 2 weeks
    • Kushal busy with IBM until Jan.19
    • DaveD going to Chicago end of the month; Florida in February for a week
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - Remove RSE Performance Logging; Refactoring UI/Non-UI; Persistence; Bugzilla bug for User Actions Contribution until Jan.31st; Bugs & Unit tests;
  • DaveM - EclipseCon; Bugs & Unit tests; finish permission API; download Streams API;
  • Kushal - Encodings; EFS; Talk to DaveD re Comm Server; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Martin - Check r/o flags and timestamps for ssh; Commit Montavista contrib; Fix build; EclipseCon tutorial; Bugs & Unit Tests; Plan Item Specifications; Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on RSE 2.0 Planning; TM and RSE FAQ, improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute);
  • Javier - Check r/o flags and timestamps for ftp; FTP passive mode; Bugs & Unit Tests,
  • Ted -
  • Michael - Terminal Performance Improvements
  • Uwe -

Next Meeting