Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 15-May-2007"

< DSDP‎ | TM
 
(5 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 15: Line 15:
  
 
== Invited Attendees ==
 
== Invited Attendees ==
* IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir, Kevin Doyle, Sanjayan Eladchumanasamy, Xuan Chen
+
* IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir, Kevin Doyle, Xuan Chen
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Michael Scharf, Uwe Stieber
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber
  
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
 
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
Line 50: Line 50:
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=186773 186773] Splitting ISystemRegistryUI from ISystemRegistry
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=186773 186773] Splitting ISystemRegistryUI from ISystemRegistry
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=186748 186748] Move ISubSystemConfigurationAdapter to org.eclipse.rse.ui.subsystems
 
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=186748 186748] Move ISubSystemConfigurationAdapter to org.eclipse.rse.ui.subsystems
 +
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=186525 186525] Move keystoreProvider to Core
  
 
=== M7 Testing ===
 
=== M7 Testing ===
Line 58: Line 59:
 
=== Ramp Down Plan ===
 
=== Ramp Down Plan ===
 
* [[TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa]], based on [[Europa Simultaneous Release#Milestones and Release Candidates]]
 
* [[TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa]], based on [[Europa Simultaneous Release#Milestones and Release Candidates]]
** RC1 -- Fri May 25 (5 work days)
+
** RC1 -- Fri May 25 (5 work days) -- May 30: Release Review Slide Decks due
 
** RC2 -- Tue Jun 5  (6 work days)
 
** RC2 -- Tue Jun 5  (6 work days)
 
** RC3 -- Thu Jun 14 (7 work days; Martin vacation 12-Jun til 21-Jun!)
 
** RC3 -- Thu Jun 14 (7 work days; Martin vacation 12-Jun til 21-Jun!)
 
** RC4 -- Thu Jun 21 (5 work days)
 
** RC4 -- Thu Jun 21 (5 work days)
 
** EUROPA -- Jun 29
 
** EUROPA -- Jun 29
 +
* More risky fixes OK for M7, less risky afterwards; don't want to re-test everything with the RC's but only verify bug fixes
 
* Lots of bugs still assigned to M7 / RC1 -- please review and fix target milestone
 
* Lots of bugs still assigned to M7 / RC1 -- please review and fix target milestone
 
* Do we really want to force 1-committer-approval for RC1?
 
* Do we really want to force 1-committer-approval for RC1?
 +
** Make approval recommended but not required for RC1
 +
** DaveD to do RC3 and RC4 instead of Martin -- do RC1 and RC2 together; DaveD supervising translation tests during RC1 -- do RC1 early morning on friday
  
 
=== Bugs and open work to be discussed ===
 
=== Bugs and open work to be discussed ===
Line 70: Line 74:
 
* '''Current Priorities'''
 
* '''Current Priorities'''
 
** '''Priority #1: Converge to a Stable Build for Testing'''
 
** '''Priority #1: Converge to a Stable Build for Testing'''
*** '''Javier''': FTP parallel download - have a problem with cancellation, but it looks difficult - not for M7
+
*** '''Javier''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176216 176216] Try to improve FTPListingParser as per Martin's suggestions as much as possible -- persistence of the parser setting (see DaveD below: 142806, 153632)
**** Directory listing parser extension point: Dont activate too early; translatable label; autodetect parsers registered by extenders - '''AI Javier wants to address these'''
+
*** '''DaveD''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=177329 177329] Persistence locks the workspace / thread handling: provider outside workspace / independent of IResource - APIs done, provider in metadata TBD '''AI DaveD fix today'''
**** What about persistence of the parser setting - does it work now? Dont know if it works by now; '''AI DaveD check it'''
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=168870 168870] org.eclipse.rse.core in the UI plugin: SystemBasePlugin (reduce usage to 0 and get rid of it?), ISystemRemoteElementAdapter (only Shell!), ISystemRemoteObjectMatcher; '''AI Martin take from DaveD'''
*** '''DaveD''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=177329 177329] Persistence locks the workspace / thread handling: provider outside workspace / independent of IResource - '''AI DaveD fix today'''
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=142806 142806] attributes not written to DOM; - probably fixed already, FTP properties is an example of this; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=153632 153632] incorrect filterpool for dstore - '''AI DaveD checking today'''
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=163592 163592] API to explicitly save profiles after model changes - API is there; missing is the ability to turn off some extra saving is mostly finished
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176211 176211] org.eclipse.rse.internal.model in the UI plugin: SystemHostPool (create an interface IRSESystemTypeAdapter) - '''tricky, not for 2.0'''
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=177332 177332] API to wait until RSE model is fully restored - '''AI DaveD API for polling the state of the model (is it fully restored?); query "all providers" vs. "a particular one"'''
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183771 183771] StandardCredentialProvider without UI if password is stored; - almost there, not a priority since there are other UI dependencies we won't get around for 2.0 -- leave as is for now
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=168870 168870] org.eclipse.rse.core in the UI plugin: SystemBasePlugin (reduce usage to 0 and get rid of it?), ISystemRemoteElementAdapter (only Shell!), ISystemRemoteObjectMatcher; org.eclipse.rse.core.comm to go to non-UI together with the keystoreProviders extension point - '''AI DaveD committed: most interesting of the lower priority ones'''
+
*** '''DaveM''': Delete Local Connection: going forward with the change
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176211 176211] org.eclipse.rse.internal.model in the UI plugin: SystemHostPool (create an interface IRSESystemTypeAdapter) - '''tricky'''
+
**** Switching service of an existing connection: filter pool dstore.files is different than ssh.files -- when switching the service type, the filters are lost. When switching on "create in this connection only", would it be kept? Should this option be default? - Solution for the future to make it explicit: "Do you want to copy the filters to the new service?"
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=142806 142806] attributes not written to DOM; - probably fixed already, FTP properties is an example of this; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=153632 153632] incorrect filterpool for dstore - '''not API: AI DaveD within the next week'''
+
***** '''Decision:''' We should be able to share file filters among all subsystems that can handle files. '''AI DaveM to take a look at it''' but it is technically difficult, will break workspace compatibility and he's not sure if he can get it done. If breaking workspace compatibility, now is the time to do so.
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183771 183771] StandardCredentialProvider without UI if password is stored; - almost there, not a priority since there are other UI dependencies we won't get around for 2.0
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=173042 173042] Refresh in the SystemView - being handled by Martin now
*** '''DaveM''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=184322 184322] IProgressMonitor added to file system APIs
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=167620 167620] delete many items has remote queries on dispatch thread - delete being done on SystemView itself, so adapter is called on dispatch thread -- envision solving it by doing delete in a Job and then doing a refresh on the view. Martin: delete should also work in a non-UI scenario without any SystemView. Risky but better do it now. '''AI DaveM to look at it'''
**** Need to document whether null is allowed as paramter or not, both for IFileService and IRemoteFileSubSystem!!
+
*** '''Martin''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=175680 175680] cleanup ISystemRegistry - probably bring more into non-UI; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=173042 173042] Refresh; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=172650 172650] Capabilities; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176461 176461] expand-to-level; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=170910 170910] Integrate Terminalview;
***** DaveD: IResource does allow null as progress monitor; DaveM: dont document that we allow null; MartinO: require clients to pass in real progress monitors.
+
*** '''Kushal''': Single "Encoding" control on the Host (for all subsystems) - '''AI Wanted to check in last week?'''
**** Should we have a common guideline of having the progress monitor first, or last? - Kushal: IFileService has monitors in a different place than Subsystem; Resources API have monitors at the end typically; '''AI Martin''' check Eclipse APIs and send E-Mail
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=173042 173042] Refresh in the SystemView: "remote" case vs. "local" case -- ISystemRemoteElementAdapter vs. ISystemViewElementAdapter - '''AI DaveM - Hi Prio for WR'''
+
***** Should we better have a method like doLazyRefresh() vs. doAsyncRefresh() in the ISystemViewElementAdapter?
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=167620 167620] delete many items has remote queries on dispatch thread
+
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=182221 bug 182221]: IRemoteFileSubSystem should forward exceptions rather than handling them with dialogs - Decision was to pragmatically start converting simple methods - who should do it? - No volunteers :-(
+
*** '''Martin''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=177523 177523] getInstance; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=175680 175680] cleanup ISystemRegistry - probably bring more into non-UI; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=173042 173042] Refresh; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=172650 172650] Capabilities; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176461 176461] expand-to-level; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=170910 170910] Integrate Terminalview; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=185098 185098] constants for system types; [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=185097 185097] make getCoreRegistry() simpler
+
**** Committer Voting: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=185552 185552] remove remoteSystemsViewPreferencesActions extension point - Kushal OK
+
**** Committer Voting: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=185554 185554] remove dynamicPopupMenuExtensions extension point - Kushal not sure; one IBM product wanted more control over the menus; Uwe: adding actions dynamically to the menus is possible with extension points - only thing needed is menu groups; org.eclipse.ui.popupMenus can also be used for that - '''AI Uwe add some examples on how to do it with org.eclipse.ui.popupMenus on the bug'''
+
*** '''Michael''': [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=165893 165893] Terminal xyzmodem, [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=185348 185348] programmatic connection creation
+
**** Make all Terminal API experimental for now: '''AI Martin''' lookup how to declare API experimental and do it
+
*** '''Kushal''': Single "Encoding" control on the Host (for all subsystems) - '''checking in today'''; should the encoding be applied to the model or the views? - Martin: would like the Unicode model represent the CORRECT strings (recoded if necessary)
+
** '''Priority #2: Import/Export'''
+
*** Is there some mini-docu anywhere how to test Import/Export? - Add to [[TM Manual Test Plan]] - '''DaveM:'''
+
**** Export: Take a local project, e.g. CDT project with src folder; take project, right-click > export > remote file system; similar to Eclipse "Export to File System" wizard, so it's a plain copy of all files to the remote side, no concept of synchronization
+
**** Export to descriptor file: selection of files to export can be saved, this file can later be right-clicked on to re-do the export quickly (similar to Java JAR Export wizard)
+
**** Import: Select a remote folder in the system view, right-click > Import: subset by file types, import to local project (modeled after Eclipse Import from File System wizard) - has a descriptor file as well
+
**** Use cases:
+
***** Import/Export was more useful prior to having EFS - one would just import everything to local to edit there, then export
+
***** Deployment; Future: Export to multiple locations
+
***** Future: keep track of files changed in the project, or using Platform Team/Synchronization framework
+
 
** '''Priority #3: Bugs'''
 
** '''Priority #3: Bugs'''
 
*** Bugzilla: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
 
*** Bugzilla: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_severity=blocker&bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=major&cmdtype=doit Severity Major], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=priority&type0-0-0=regexp&value0-0-0=P%5B12%5D&field0-0-1=bug_severity&type0-0-1=regexp&value0-0-1=blocker%7Ccritical%7Cmajor hi-priority]
**** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=167620 167620] Select and Delete in the Main thread
 
 
*** EFS: Copy(), Move(); Open Remote Project on Startup: Get rid of IResource dependencies where possible; minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
 
*** EFS: Copy(), Move(); Open Remote Project on Startup: Get rid of IResource dependencies where possible; minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
  
Line 112: Line 95:
  
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 +
* Monday May 21st is Victoria day in Canada (public holiday)
 +
* DaveD travelling next week, but that shouldn't affect anything
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
Line 119: Line 104:
 
* '''Kushal''': BIDI bugs and Encodings
 
* '''Kushal''': BIDI bugs and Encodings
 
* '''Martin''': Inform the community about dropped user actions; API cleanups; Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
 
* '''Martin''': Inform the community about dropped user actions; API cleanups; Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
* '''Javier''': FTP parallel download, registering FTP Parser by extension point
+
* '''Javier''': Registering FTP Parser by extension point
* '''Michael''': Terminal xyzmodem, programmatic terminal connection creation
+
* '''Michael''': Marking Terminal as provisional API
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==

Latest revision as of 06:55, 23 May 2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday May 15, 2007 at 1500 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Invited Attendees

  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir, Kevin Doyle, Xuan Chen
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

News & Review Action Items

Martin 100% RSE bugs and API changes as documented on bugzilla 100%
DaveD 80% 80%
DaveM 25% Bugfixes 50%
Kushal 40% BIDI Encodings 40%
Javier 30% FTP Parser Extension Point 30%
Ted 0% - 0%
Uwe 5% - 5%
Michael 10% 10%

Pending Approvals for API Changes

  • 186640 IRSESystemType.testProperty(), isLocal() and isWindows()
  • 186779 IRSESystemType.getAdapter()
  • 185098 Constants in IRSESystemType for the ID's for SSH, FTP, Discovery
  • 186773 Splitting ISystemRegistryUI from ISystemRegistry
  • 186748 Move ISubSystemConfigurationAdapter to org.eclipse.rse.ui.subsystems
  • 186525 Move keystoreProvider to Core

M7 Testing

  • TM 2.0 M7 Testing
    • Thanks Kevin and Xuan -- 'ok' flag; Martin's assignments
    • I20070516 -- TM 2.0M7 (17th is a public holiday in Austria!)

Ramp Down Plan

  • TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa, based on Europa Simultaneous Release#Milestones and Release Candidates
    • RC1 -- Fri May 25 (5 work days) -- May 30: Release Review Slide Decks due
    • RC2 -- Tue Jun 5 (6 work days)
    • RC3 -- Thu Jun 14 (7 work days; Martin vacation 12-Jun til 21-Jun!)
    • RC4 -- Thu Jun 21 (5 work days)
    • EUROPA -- Jun 29
  • More risky fixes OK for M7, less risky afterwards; don't want to re-test everything with the RC's but only verify bug fixes
  • Lots of bugs still assigned to M7 / RC1 -- please review and fix target milestone
  • Do we really want to force 1-committer-approval for RC1?
    • Make approval recommended but not required for RC1
    • DaveD to do RC3 and RC4 instead of Martin -- do RC1 and RC2 together; DaveD supervising translation tests during RC1 -- do RC1 early morning on friday

Bugs and open work to be discussed

  • Current Priorities
    • Priority #1: Converge to a Stable Build for Testing
      • Javier: 176216 Try to improve FTPListingParser as per Martin's suggestions as much as possible -- persistence of the parser setting (see DaveD below: 142806, 153632)
      • DaveD: 177329 Persistence locks the workspace / thread handling: provider outside workspace / independent of IResource - APIs done, provider in metadata TBD AI DaveD fix today
        • 168870 org.eclipse.rse.core in the UI plugin: SystemBasePlugin (reduce usage to 0 and get rid of it?), ISystemRemoteElementAdapter (only Shell!), ISystemRemoteObjectMatcher; AI Martin take from DaveD
        • 142806 attributes not written to DOM; - probably fixed already, FTP properties is an example of this; 153632 incorrect filterpool for dstore - AI DaveD checking today
        • 176211 org.eclipse.rse.internal.model in the UI plugin: SystemHostPool (create an interface IRSESystemTypeAdapter) - tricky, not for 2.0
        • 183771 StandardCredentialProvider without UI if password is stored; - almost there, not a priority since there are other UI dependencies we won't get around for 2.0 -- leave as is for now
      • DaveM: Delete Local Connection: going forward with the change
        • Switching service of an existing connection: filter pool dstore.files is different than ssh.files -- when switching the service type, the filters are lost. When switching on "create in this connection only", would it be kept? Should this option be default? - Solution for the future to make it explicit: "Do you want to copy the filters to the new service?"
          • Decision: We should be able to share file filters among all subsystems that can handle files. AI DaveM to take a look at it but it is technically difficult, will break workspace compatibility and he's not sure if he can get it done. If breaking workspace compatibility, now is the time to do so.
        • 173042 Refresh in the SystemView - being handled by Martin now
        • 167620 delete many items has remote queries on dispatch thread - delete being done on SystemView itself, so adapter is called on dispatch thread -- envision solving it by doing delete in a Job and then doing a refresh on the view. Martin: delete should also work in a non-UI scenario without any SystemView. Risky but better do it now. AI DaveM to look at it
      • Martin: 175680 cleanup ISystemRegistry - probably bring more into non-UI; 173042 Refresh; 172650 Capabilities; 176461 expand-to-level; 170910 Integrate Terminalview;
      • Kushal: Single "Encoding" control on the Host (for all subsystems) - AI Wanted to check in last week?
    • Priority #3: Bugs
      • Bugzilla: Severity Major, hi-priority
      • EFS: Copy(), Move(); Open Remote Project on Startup: Get rid of IResource dependencies where possible; minimal plugin activations; UI/Non-UI
  • General Guidelines
    • Avoid breaking API changes after end of this week

Vacation, Away

  • Monday May 21st is Victoria day in Canada (public holiday)
  • DaveD travelling next week, but that shouldn't affect anything

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD: Translation Testcases; Persistence Provider without IResource; Get started on ICU4J with bug 183631
  • DaveM: Bugs
  • Kushal: BIDI bugs and Encodings
  • Martin: Inform the community about dropped user actions; API cleanups; Testing Stats; Refresh improvements; Integrating Terminal with RSE
  • Javier: Registering FTP Parser by extension point
  • Michael: Marking Terminal as provisional API

Next Meeting