Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 14-Nov-2006"

< DSDP‎ | TM
(Agenda)
 
(7 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 17: Line 17:
 
* IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
 
* IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
 
* Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Ted Williams
+
* Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Ted Williams (dropped off early)
* Tradescape - Lothar Werzinger
+
  
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
+
== Notes ==
 
+
=== C'mon and celebrate! ===
== Agenda ==
+
* RSE 1.0 is released - just in time
* '''C'mon and celebrate!'''
+
** Fabulous press coverage on Eclipse Website: http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20061112dsdp_milestone.php
** RSE 1.0 is released - what did we accomplish in the past year?
+
** Doug Gaff talking to 13 press people: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dsdp-pmc/msg00387.html
*** Created infrastructure - project, website, wiki, mailing list, newsgroup, bugzilla, processes for everything
+
** Blogs by [http://tmober.blogspot.com Martin] and [http://douggaff.blogspot.com/2006/11/dsdp-yesterday-today-and-tomorrow.html Doug]
*** Got all the code through legal review, implemented nightly build system
+
** Looks like we are riding the wave of general excitement around Eclipse and Embedded
*** Grew the community - contributors and users, 220 downloads on 1.0RC2; EclipseCon talk, upcoming tutorial
+
** Release looks good, one very late bugfix by Michael [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=164223 bug 164223: FTP binary transfer]
*** Refactored RSE (service/subsystem approach), implemented deferred queries
+
** [[TM and RSE FAQ]], Tutorial, [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/tutorial/index.php Getting Started], Website etc. all done
*** Added ssh and ftp subsystems, discovery component
+
*** First-time users should be directed to the main [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm Website]
** In the past year: What did you like? What did you dislike? What's the favorite thing you want to do next?
+
** Downloads today at 1200UTC (4 hours ago): SDK 72, rseserver-win 16, linux 15, update-site 13
*** DaveD:
+
* What did we accomplish in the past year?
*** DaveM:
+
** Created infrastructure - project, website, wiki, mailing list, newsgroup, bugzilla, processes for everything
*** Kushal:
+
** Got all the code through legal review, implemented nightly build system
*** Javier:
+
** Grew the community - contributors and users, 220 downloads on 1.0RC2; EclipseCon talk, upcoming tutorial
*** Michael:
+
** Refactored RSE (service/subsystem approach; UI/Non-UI separation), implemented deferred queries; new Persistence implementation
*** Ted:
+
** Added ssh and ftp subsystems, remotecdt launcher, discovery component
*** Uwe:
+
* In the past year: What did you like? What's the favorite thing you want to do next?
*** Martin:
+
** DaveD: Wants to do many little things (e.g. testframework: have testcase for creating 10 connections & deleting them)
** Bug statistics - [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/developmnet/bug_process.php Bug Process Page]
+
** DaveM: Wants to do Many little things; multi-commands for cluster management
** How do you like our processes? Improvements, Suggestions?
+
** Kushal: Liked to see ssh and ftp getting implemented -- RSE was prepared for 3rd party extensions from the very beginning, but it took openRSE to make it real; Wants to do Encoding support, EFS
*** Bugzilla: All have their personal queries?
+
** Javier: Liked to see the project getting mature, things fitting together in the end; wants to continue work on Service Discovery; Wizard for creating new subsystems
*** [[RSE 1.0 Testing]] - was the effort right? Especially verification
+
** Ted: Not long enough with the project
 +
** Uwe: Wants to learn internals of RSE, make it work for Windriver product
 +
** Martin: Liked to see Jakarta Commons get approved; Liked the Refactoring session with DaveM; Wants to improve overall quality and user experience, using RSE himself for daily work
 +
* Martin to also make personal interviews regarding our processes, improvements, suggestions, bugzilla, testing etc.
 
* Any Latest News?
 
* Any Latest News?
** Michael --
+
** Michael -- Good progress on Terminalview
 +
** Ted -- Busy with building DD; will migrate TM build after Dec.15th to the Europa standards
 
** Other News --
 
** Other News --
* Top Priorities this week:
+
 
** '''#1 - Being responsive''' - on Newsgroup, Mailinglist and bug reports. We'll probably get lots of new users as we have RSE 1.0. Let's nurture our user community and encourage them to become contributors in case they have requests. Make sure that E-Mail notifications are turned on for bugzilla (and probably also the Wiki FAQ etc.)
+
=== Top Priorities this week ===
** '''#2 - Continue fixing bugs and improving documentation''' - Let's make sure that users who have problems with 1.0 can get a subsequent I-build as patch soon after. Let's make sure users get missing documentation wherever needed. Instead of answering a question by E-Mail, let's fix the corresponding documentation or FAQ and point the users to it.
+
* '''#1 - Convert Downloaders to Contributors - by Being responsive''' - on Newsgroup, Mailinglist and bug reports. We'll probably get lots of new users as we have RSE 1.0. Let's nurture our user community and encourage them to become contributors in case they have requests. Make sure that E-Mail notifications are turned on for bugzilla (and probably also the Wiki FAQ etc.)
** '''#3 - Plan RSE 2.0'''
+
* '''#2 - Plan RSE 1.0.1 and 2.0'''
* Upcoming Work
+
* '''#3 - Continue fixing bugs and improving documentation''' - Let's make sure that users who have problems with 1.0 can get a subsequent I-build as patch soon after. Let's make sure users get missing documentation wherever needed. Instead of answering a question by E-Mail, let's fix the corresponding documentation or FAQ and point the users to it.
** Start IBM and EMO review process for User Actions and Import/Export (DaveD)
+
** Build Schedule: Will do an M-build on thursday at 8am Ottawa every week.
** Start creating Unit Tests, Testing feature (DaveD, Uwe)
+
** Consume our own stuff as much as we can!
** Continue bug fixing on HEAD (All)
+
 
*** Look at your personal bugs and assign target milestones: What can you fix for 1.0.1? What can you fix for 2.0? For anything yet unknown, keep the open milestone "---"
+
=== Upcoming Work ===
*** Bugzilla: When fixing a bug, please add a short note where it was fixed, e.g. "Fixed in DStoreRemoteFile". This helps tremendously to find and understand the fix, in case it should be needed again later
+
* Triage your assigned Bugs - [http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/developmnet/bug_process.php Bug Process Page]
** Fix compiler warnings (Kushal) - prepare for running FindBugs
+
** Status NEW --> ASSIGNED (if you are confident)
** Add ISV Javadoc where it is still missing or incorrect; review, and improve all docs
+
** Assign Target Milestones: 1.0.1 or 2.0 to indicate committed fixes; --- for yet unknown
** [[RSE 2.0 Planning]] - Finalize the 2.0 Project Plan
+
*** Better be conservative assigning target milestones -- it should be a firm commitment
** '''New bugs''': REVIEW [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=dsdp.tm.rse-inbox%40eclipse.org&cmdtype=doit Assigned to Inbox], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=NEW&cmdtype=doit Status NEW]
+
*** The [[GMF Project Plan#Plan_Item_Queries]] has some queries that explain how they use target milestone and bug status
*** Open bugs: [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&priority=P1&priority=P2&cmdtype=doit P1, P2 bugs], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=%5Bapi&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit API bugs], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=DSDP&product=Target+Management&component=RSE&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&cmdtype=doit&field0-0-0=attachments.ispatch&type0-0-0=equals&value0-0-0=1 Open with Patch],
+
** Bugzilla: When fixing a bug, please add a short note where it was fixed, e.g. "Fixed in DStoreRemoteFile". This helps tremendously to find and understand the fix, in case it should be needed again later
* Communications
+
*** Kushal, DaveM: How to get notified when a new bug is reported?
** We should have a longer architecture / planning meeting for upcoming "larger" 2.0 changes soon. Possible Dates?
+
*** On [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/userprefs.cgi?tab=email Bugzilla Email Prefs] page, enter "Users to Watch": dsdp.tm.core-inbox@eclipse.org,dsdp.tm.rse-inbox@eclipse.org,dsdp.general-inbox@eclipse.org
** [[DSDP/TM/Code_Ownership]]
+
* Start IBM and EMO review process for Montavista SSH Processes, User Actions and Import/Export (DaveD)
** API changes: we'll not introduce any api changes between 1.0 and 1.0.1
+
* Start creating Unit Tests, Testing feature (DaveD, Uwe)
*** But prepare for API changes soon after 1.0.1
+
* [[RSE 2.0 Planning]] - Finalize the 2.0 Project Plan
** Shall we get rid of unused icons, e.g. rse.ui/icons/full/obj16/system390_obj.gif ?
+
* [[DSDP/TM/Code Ownership]]
** Shall we get rid of commented out source code ?
+
 
 +
=== Communications ===
 +
* Upcoming Milestones:
 +
** '''RSE 1.0.1 -- December 15, 2006''' (4 weeks from now!)
 +
** '''RSE 2.0M4 (with Europa M4) -- January 4, 2007''' (3 weeks later)
 +
*** Build system needs to be switched from 3.2.1 based build to Europa build after Dec.15 -- Ted
 +
** For more Europa dates, see the [[Europa Simultaneous Release]] page
 +
* API changes: we'll not introduce any api changes between 1.0 and 1.0.1; instead, DOCUMENT the APIs, along the way we'll see what needs to be improved. Prepare for API changes soon after 1.0.1
 
* Change Requests
 
* Change Requests
 +
** Meet 1hr later next week -- ok
 
* Vacations, Holidays etc.
 
* Vacations, Holidays etc.
 +
** DaveD out of office Wed-Fri next week; Christmas - New Year
 
** US Thanksgiving - End of November
 
** US Thanksgiving - End of November
 
* Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
 
* Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
Line 75: Line 87:
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 7-Nov-2006#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 7-Nov-2006#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
* '''DaveD''' - Edit Code Ownership. Submit UDA and Import/Export for review; JUnit tests; Hi-Pri bugs. New bug for moving DTD.
+
* '''DaveD''' - Bug Triage. Edit Code Ownership. Submit 3 CQs to IPZilla; [next week] JUnit tests;
* '''DaveM''' - Enter Resume into www.eclipsecon.org; Bugs
+
* '''DaveM''' - Enter Resume into www.eclipsecon.org; Bug Triage.
* '''Kushal''' - Bugs
+
* '''Kushal''' - Bug Triage.
* '''Martin''' - Work on 2.0 project plan; TM FAQ on the Wiki; Hi-pri bugs;
+
* '''Martin''' - Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on [[RSE 2.0 Planning]]; [[TM and RSE FAQ]], improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute); Bug Triage.
* '''Javier''' - Hook up with Scott Lewis once SD is committed and works
+
* '''Javier''' - Bug Triage.
* '''Ted''' - Terminalview; Document the build process
+
* '''Ted''' - Make the Build ready for Europa
 +
* '''Michael''' - Terminalview
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 21-Nov-2006]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2006&month=11&day=21hour=16&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 8am SFO / 10.00am Rochester / 12.00pm Toronto / 4pm London / 5pm Salzburg]
+
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 21-Nov-2006]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2006&month=11&day=21&hour=17&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 9am SFO / 11.00am Rochester / 12.00pm Toronto / 5pm London / 6pm Salzburg]
* Open [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 6-Dec-2006]] at 9am PST
+
* Open [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 6-Dec-2006]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=12&day=6&year=2006&hour=17&min=00&sec=0&p1=0 1700 UTC / 9am PST]
  
 
[[Category:DSDP/TM]]
 
[[Category:DSDP/TM]]

Latest revision as of 08:03, 20 November 2006

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday Nov 14, 2006 at 8am SFO / 10.00am Rochester / 11.00pm Toronto / 4pm London / 5pm Salzburg
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Ted Williams (dropped off early)

Notes

C'mon and celebrate!

  • RSE 1.0 is released - just in time
  • What did we accomplish in the past year?
    • Created infrastructure - project, website, wiki, mailing list, newsgroup, bugzilla, processes for everything
    • Got all the code through legal review, implemented nightly build system
    • Grew the community - contributors and users, 220 downloads on 1.0RC2; EclipseCon talk, upcoming tutorial
    • Refactored RSE (service/subsystem approach; UI/Non-UI separation), implemented deferred queries; new Persistence implementation
    • Added ssh and ftp subsystems, remotecdt launcher, discovery component
  • In the past year: What did you like? What's the favorite thing you want to do next?
    • DaveD: Wants to do many little things (e.g. testframework: have testcase for creating 10 connections & deleting them)
    • DaveM: Wants to do Many little things; multi-commands for cluster management
    • Kushal: Liked to see ssh and ftp getting implemented -- RSE was prepared for 3rd party extensions from the very beginning, but it took openRSE to make it real; Wants to do Encoding support, EFS
    • Javier: Liked to see the project getting mature, things fitting together in the end; wants to continue work on Service Discovery; Wizard for creating new subsystems
    • Ted: Not long enough with the project
    • Uwe: Wants to learn internals of RSE, make it work for Windriver product
    • Martin: Liked to see Jakarta Commons get approved; Liked the Refactoring session with DaveM; Wants to improve overall quality and user experience, using RSE himself for daily work
  • Martin to also make personal interviews regarding our processes, improvements, suggestions, bugzilla, testing etc.
  • Any Latest News?
    • Michael -- Good progress on Terminalview
    • Ted -- Busy with building DD; will migrate TM build after Dec.15th to the Europa standards
    • Other News --

Top Priorities this week

  • #1 - Convert Downloaders to Contributors - by Being responsive - on Newsgroup, Mailinglist and bug reports. We'll probably get lots of new users as we have RSE 1.0. Let's nurture our user community and encourage them to become contributors in case they have requests. Make sure that E-Mail notifications are turned on for bugzilla (and probably also the Wiki FAQ etc.)
  • #2 - Plan RSE 1.0.1 and 2.0
  • #3 - Continue fixing bugs and improving documentation - Let's make sure that users who have problems with 1.0 can get a subsequent I-build as patch soon after. Let's make sure users get missing documentation wherever needed. Instead of answering a question by E-Mail, let's fix the corresponding documentation or FAQ and point the users to it.
    • Build Schedule: Will do an M-build on thursday at 8am Ottawa every week.
    • Consume our own stuff as much as we can!

Upcoming Work

  • Triage your assigned Bugs - Bug Process Page
    • Status NEW --> ASSIGNED (if you are confident)
    • Assign Target Milestones: 1.0.1 or 2.0 to indicate committed fixes; --- for yet unknown
      • Better be conservative assigning target milestones -- it should be a firm commitment
      • The GMF Project Plan#Plan_Item_Queries has some queries that explain how they use target milestone and bug status
    • Bugzilla: When fixing a bug, please add a short note where it was fixed, e.g. "Fixed in DStoreRemoteFile". This helps tremendously to find and understand the fix, in case it should be needed again later
      • Kushal, DaveM: How to get notified when a new bug is reported?
      • On Bugzilla Email Prefs page, enter "Users to Watch": dsdp.tm.core-inbox@eclipse.org,dsdp.tm.rse-inbox@eclipse.org,dsdp.general-inbox@eclipse.org
  • Start IBM and EMO review process for Montavista SSH Processes, User Actions and Import/Export (DaveD)
  • Start creating Unit Tests, Testing feature (DaveD, Uwe)
  • RSE 2.0 Planning - Finalize the 2.0 Project Plan
  • DSDP/TM/Code Ownership

Communications

  • Upcoming Milestones:
    • RSE 1.0.1 -- December 15, 2006 (4 weeks from now!)
    • RSE 2.0M4 (with Europa M4) -- January 4, 2007 (3 weeks later)
      • Build system needs to be switched from 3.2.1 based build to Europa build after Dec.15 -- Ted
    • For more Europa dates, see the Europa Simultaneous Release page
  • API changes: we'll not introduce any api changes between 1.0 and 1.0.1; instead, DOCUMENT the APIs, along the way we'll see what needs to be improved. Prepare for API changes soon after 1.0.1
  • Change Requests
    • Meet 1hr later next week -- ok
  • Vacations, Holidays etc.
    • DaveD out of office Wed-Fri next week; Christmas - New Year
    • US Thanksgiving - End of November
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - Bug Triage. Edit Code Ownership. Submit 3 CQs to IPZilla; [next week] JUnit tests;
  • DaveM - Enter Resume into www.eclipsecon.org; Bug Triage.
  • Kushal - Bug Triage.
  • Martin - Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on RSE 2.0 Planning; TM and RSE FAQ, improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute); Bug Triage.
  • Javier - Bug Triage.
  • Ted - Make the Build ready for Europa
  • Michael - Terminalview

Next Meeting