DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 13-Mar-2007

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Revision as of 11:34, 28 February 2007 by Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Mar 13, 2007 at 1700 UTC
Dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Contents

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, Ted Williams

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Notes

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help: being responsive
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site

News & Review Action Items

Martin 100% 70%
DaveD 100% 100%
DaveM 50% 50%
Kushal 50% 50%
Javier 50%
Ted 0% 0%
Uwe 5% 5%
Michael 20%

Upcoming Work

  • Update on Plan items:
    • 170909 (DaveD) User Actions: Merging into RSE - tough part is integrating Persistence with the new Persistence Manager (3-4 days); then, testing & fixing & unittests (3-4 days); DaveD with help from Kushal
    • 170923 (DaveD) UI/Non-UI splitting: DaveD until EMO Review is done for UA, most critical right now; DaveD has a plan, can do it alone
    • 170932 (DaveD) Default Persistence Provider: will need some minor API changes, mostly additions; try to finish for M6, if things go wrong M7 is also OK
    • 170936 (DaveD) Macintosh - machine for unittests?
    • 170926 (DaveM) Improve IFileService: mostly done; Returnvalue for copy; Streams for dstore; Streams on the Subsystem Layer
    • 150498 More service-oriented; Multiple subsystems of the same kind - any architectural limitations? DaveM: There might be extenders having problems with multiple
      • Martin: NewConnectionWizard whould allow for "No subsystems"; DaveD: want to be able to get it back later? Martin: not necessarily
    • 170911 Discovery
      • Not discussed since Javier is not here
    • 170916 (Kushal) EFS
    • 170918 Improve SystemType and Wizard
      • Kushal: Get rid of the name, better have Properties
      • DaveD: There is quite a lot of usage of the Name at the moment instead of ID; there might be some Persistence usage! This might require us to still keep the name for some time in order to maintain Workspace compatibility
    • 170922 Optimize RSE API
  • Top priority is getting API things done for M6. Plan items are currently more important than bug priorities.
    • 173042 (Uwe) Improved / pluggable Refresh
    • 170922 (DaveM, Martin) Making as much as possible "internal"
    • 170915 (DaveM) Getting rid of Platform "internal" access
    • add unit tests for all new or modified API

Other Stuff to Do

    • 1. API Improvements
      • SystemType improvements; retargetable actions/commands;
      • Asynchronous API/callbacks; How is the client informed about job completion?
      • IHostShell changes for Terminal;
    • 2. Play well with the Platform
      • retargetable actions/commands; capabilities; icu4j; Orbit; ssh prefs; drag&drop
    • 3. Improve overall quality (unit tests; special characters; long filenames; background jobs; parallel access; logging; ...)
    • 4. New Features
      • Terminal-in-rse; Persistence-as-xmlfile; Service enablement
    • Remove RSE Performance Logging; place contents of logging into core
    • Reduce number of plugins (once UI/Non-UI separation is done, have e.g. ssh.core and ssh.ui but not more)
      • Move org.eclipse.rse.connectorservice.local into org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core
      • org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core (collapse files.core, processes.core, shells.core)
      • org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.dstore (collapse files.dstore, processes.dsore, shells.dstore)
  • Add Montavista shell processes subsystem
    • Orbit bundles to be added differently
    • Unittests to run every night
    • Version Number Changes to be done by Martin
    • Copyright Year Changes
  • General code cleanup -- to do right after M4:
    • Get rid of unused icons, e.g. rse.ui/icons/full/obj16/system390_obj.gif, IBM_logo.gif
    • Get rid of commented out source code
    • Get rid of unused properties (chkpii)

Communications

  • Europa Requirements
    • Avoiding non-API from other projects
      • AI create bugzilla against CDT
    • Update Wiki to explian whether SDK contains examples --> AI Martin wait for Platform and adapt
  • For bugs, see the bug process page (assigned to inbox, plan items, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch, assigned to M5) -- pretty many right now
  • Update Copyright Year to 2007 if you happen to think about it
  • (done) Fix N-builds (second workspace, use Ted's scripts)
  • Please continue on Compiler Warnings
  • Change Requests
  • Vacations, Holidays etc.
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - Refactoring UI/Non-UI; Persistence; Remove RSE Performance Logging;
  • DaveM - Bugs & Unit tests
  • Kushal - EFS; Talk to DaveD re Comm Server; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Martin - Migrate build to Ted's scripts; Migrate Commons.net to single-file-jar; Bugs & Unit Tests; Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on TM and RSE FAQ, improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute);
  • Javier - Improve SD; Bugs & Unit Tests
  • Ted -
  • Michael - Terminal Performance Improvements
  • Uwe - Retargetable actions, Improved Refresh

Next Meeting