Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 11-Sep-2007"

< DSDP‎ | TM
(New page: {|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 | Meeting Title: | '''TM Committer Phone Meeting''' |- | Date & Time: | Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingde...)
 
 
(7 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 28: Line 28:
 
=== Current Work ===
 
=== Current Work ===
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
 
* '''Skype Call Quality'''
 +
* '''Intensive [[TM 2.0.1 Testing]] on Thursday'''
 
* '''Reminder: Aug 30th was RC1''' as per [[TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa#Ramp_down_for_Europa_SR1_.2828-Sep-2007.29]], no risky fixes for 2.0.1 after the 30th!
 
* '''Reminder: Aug 30th was RC1''' as per [[TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa#Ramp_down_for_Europa_SR1_.2828-Sep-2007.29]], no risky fixes for 2.0.1 after the 30th!
 
** Bugzilla TM "3.0" target milestone has been created; creating also "2.0.2" milestone; note that 2.0.2 bugs MUST be checked in to the branch, which is some effort, so this should be reserved for really important things only
 
** Bugzilla TM "3.0" target milestone has been created; creating also "2.0.2" milestone; note that 2.0.2 bugs MUST be checked in to the branch, which is some effort, so this should be reserved for really important things only
Line 35: Line 36:
 
* '''Reminder: Start preparing / planning''' for the [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]]
 
* '''Reminder: Start preparing / planning''' for the [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]]
 
** Room with outside internet access should be available in customer briefing center
 
** Room with outside internet access should be available in customer briefing center
 +
** Xuan: How to prepare?
 +
*** 1. Make up your minds WHAT you want to achieve for 3.0; we should come up with plan items, priorities, and target milestones
 +
*** 2. Get initial ideas how to achieve this, such that we can discuss architecture and approaches.
 +
** What's a Coding Camp? - Martin: We'll do a planning meeting, but also with hands on the code for prototyping and experimenting
 
** DaveD: Persistence, User-Defined Actions - Explain the plans, discuss them
 
** DaveD: Persistence, User-Defined Actions - Explain the plans, discuss them
 
** DaveM: Need to think
 
** DaveM: Need to think
Line 41: Line 46:
 
** Rupen will be continuing (tentative)
 
** Rupen will be continuing (tentative)
 
* '''DaveD:''' -  
 
* '''DaveD:''' -  
** {{Bug|194802}} - NPE when restoring; might be gone in the meantime, analyze / reproduce? - '''closing'''
+
** {{Bug|194802}} - NPE when restoring; might be gone in the meantime, analyze / reproduce? - '''closed WORKSFORME'''
** {{Bug|198395}} - Connect dstore with expired password - '''need to look at perl APIs for pwd access'''
+
*** What to do in the future? - Martin: put a note on {{Bug|202866}}, in the future we should move all SystemRegistry to non-UI and ensure that whatever client gets a SystemRegistry already gets an initialized one (i.e. synchronous initialization, like Eclipse core.resources). But we can discuss this in the future.
 +
** {{Bug|198395}} - Connect dstore with expired password - '''need to look at perl APIs for pwd access''' - '''not for 2.0.1'''
 
** {{Bug|197036}} - Avoid plugin activation, dont create all filterpools on startup - '''not for 2.0.1'''
 
** {{Bug|197036}} - Avoid plugin activation, dont create all filterpools on startup - '''not for 2.0.1'''
** {{Bug|176577}} - Moving hosts up+down - '''looking at for 2.0.1'''
+
** {{Bug|176577}} - Moving hosts up+down - '''looking at for 2.0.1 today'''
 
* '''DaveM:''' - '''looking at these this week'''
 
* '''DaveM:''' - '''looking at these this week'''
** {{Bug|196662}} - Refresh queries on dispatch thread - is it all fixed now?
+
** {{Bug|196662}} - Refresh queries on dispatch thread - initial problem fixed but not ideally; some additional changes will be needed but they need API related to {{Bug|187739}} and an exists() method in the SystemViewElementAdapter -- '''defer after 2.0.1'''
** {{Bug|200557}} - Review dnd from Project Explorer ({{Bug|192704}}
+
** {{Bug|200557}} - Review dnd from Project Explorer ({{Bug|192704}} ok
** {{Bug|199565}}, {{Bug|199566}}, {{Bug|199568}} - Deadlock issues due to synchronized methods calling out
+
** {{Bug|199565}}, {{Bug|199566}}, {{Bug|199568}} - Deadlock issues due to synchronized methods calling out; will be able to fix
* '''Kevin:''' -  
+
* '''Kevin:''' - {{Bug|168219}} recursive delete w/read-only moved to "Future"
** {{Bug|168219}} - how to treat recursive delete of a tree where some elements are read-only
+
* '''Xuan:''' - {{Bug|202686}} - going to disable or fix supertransfer? - Found solution for two issues, a third one (refresh) is still open due to race condition (works during debug but fails in nondebug); if unable to find the issue, will disable supertransfer in the Preferences.
*** '''delete what we can delete''', and leave the read-only files untouched (That's what EFS does) --> Will need a change of implementation (Local and DStore) to avoid giving up as soon as one error occurs during delete, return a MultiStatus; might also add API for "force" in the future
+
** Martin: Can use java.io.File#deleteOnExit() in order to make the temporary zip deleted on disconnect dstore;
* '''Javier:''' - Just back from vacation; will look at {{Bug|199773}}
+
** Xuan: Seems to be more a view update issue than actually on the Server
* '''Martin:''' -  
+
* '''Javier:''' - will look at {{Bug|199773}} FTP upload as binary
* '''Uwe:''' -
+
** Found a problem with UI/Non-UI splitting, because Ascii/Binary properties are living in UI -- FTPService gets wrong isBinary tag (DaveM: DStore - RemoteFile#isBinary() seems to be OK) - Javier will further work on it
* '''Rupen:''' -
+
** {{Bug|202758}} FTP hangs completely due to missing server answer for completePendingCommand() - not reproducable by Martin, but reproducable by Michael; Michael writing a Unittest
 +
* '''Martin:''' - {{Bug|202630}} what is the meaning of the "default private system profile"? - WR Workbench automatically fills this from a Registry. Should RSE ensure that there is always exactly one default private profile? Into what profile should connections be auto-generated... should there be a "WR Registry" profile? But then, what if users create connections themselves, would they create them into the "WR Registry" profile?
 +
** DaveM: Original design was that there is always exactly one "default private" profile, which is not intended to be shared;
 +
** DaveD: The notion of "default private" is legacy -- all profiles should be inherently shareable; default private is a persisted attribute, but probably should not be (Martin is OK with having a persisted attribute "private" - but the attribute "default" can not really be persisted because we don't know who claims to default)
 +
** Martin: ensureDefaultPrivate() is not consistent with getDefaultPrivate() -- if it already finds an active default private one, it should not try creating a new one;
 +
** Will need to think about how to address in our product
 +
** {{Bug|202416}} NPE when loading profile: made it more robust, but how could it come that RSE profile data is wiped with zeros? What happens when an IOException occurs while saving a profile, can it become corrupted or is there a safeguard?
 +
** {{Bug|202866}} Exceptions when browsing during early init - DaveM please review
 +
* '''Uwe:''' -  
 +
* '''Rupen:''' -  
 +
* '''Michael:''' - Terminal Performance branch: 300k lines/sec on Windows, 8000 lines/sec on Linux; '''everybody is OK with putting this into 2.0.1'''
 
* '''Questions'''
 
* '''Questions'''
  
Line 63: Line 79:
 
== Vacation, Away ==
 
== Vacation, Away ==
  
* DaveD vacation Spt 27 - Oct 6
+
* DaveD vacation Spt 27 - Oct 9
 
+
* MartinO mostly away Sep24 - Sep 28 (only doing releng stuff that week)
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Sep-2007#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 5-Sep-2007#Action_Items|Last Meeting]] Action Items
* '''DaveD''': 2.0.1 important fixes, then Doc bugs (Tutorial)
+
* '''DaveD''': 2.0.1 fixes, then Doc bugs (Tutorial)
* '''DaveM''': {{Bug|196662}} refresh on dispatch thread
+
* '''DaveM''': 2.0.1 fixes
* '''Xuan''': Unit Tests
+
* '''Xuan''': 2.0.1 fixes (Supertransfer)
* '''Kevin''': 2.0.1 fixes
+
* '''Kevin''': testing
 
* '''Martin''': Look at PropertyDescriptor issues; EFS fixes; unit tests; Migration Docs, Releng Fixes, Newsgroup
 
* '''Martin''': Look at PropertyDescriptor issues; EFS fixes; unit tests; Migration Docs, Releng Fixes, Newsgroup
 
* '''Javier''': 2.0.1 fixes, unit tests
 
* '''Javier''': 2.0.1 fixes, unit tests
Line 78: Line 94:
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]]
 
* [[DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007]]
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 25-Sep-2007]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=9&day=25&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 1500 UTC]
+
* [[DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 3-Oct-2007]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2007&month=10&day=3&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=224&p2=159&p3=250&p4=136&p5=223&iv=1800 1500 UTC]
 
* Monthly [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 3-Oct-2007]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=10&day=3&year=2007&hour=16&min=00&sec=0&p1=0 9am PST / 1600 UTC]
 
* Monthly [[DSDP/TM/Phone Meeting 3-Oct-2007]] at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=10&day=3&year=2007&hour=16&min=00&sec=0&p1=0 9am PST / 1600 UTC]
  

Latest revision as of 11:44, 24 September 2007

Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 at 1500 UTC / 1100 Eastern
Dial-in: Martin to call everybody by Skype

Backup dial-in: International +44 (0)1452 567588 / Freephone +1 (866) 6161738 / UK 08712460713 / Passcode: 0587322148 #

MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype dial-in: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, kevin.j.doyle, xuan.chen886, rupen.mardirossian, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.

Attendees

  • IBM - Xuan Chen, Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Rupen Mardirossian, Kevin Doyle
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf
  • Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orus

This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).

Agenda

Current Work

  • Skype Call Quality
  • Intensive TM 2.0.1 Testing on Thursday
  • Reminder: Aug 30th was RC1 as per TM 2.0 Ramp down Plan for Europa#Ramp_down_for_Europa_SR1_.2828-Sep-2007.29, no risky fixes for 2.0.1 after the 30th!
    • Bugzilla TM "3.0" target milestone has been created; creating also "2.0.2" milestone; note that 2.0.2 bugs MUST be checked in to the branch, which is some effort, so this should be reserved for really important things only
    • Branch not yet forked off, but policies do apply (need review)
    • OK to check in to HEAD, Martin can merge to the branch
    • Need 1-committer review, and Verification of fixes in an I-build after that time (RC1)
  • Reminder: Start preparing / planning for the DSDP/TM/Face-to-face Meeting Toronto 17-Sep-2007
    • Room with outside internet access should be available in customer briefing center
    • Xuan: How to prepare?
      • 1. Make up your minds WHAT you want to achieve for 3.0; we should come up with plan items, priorities, and target milestones
      • 2. Get initial ideas how to achieve this, such that we can discuss architecture and approaches.
    • What's a Coding Camp? - Martin: We'll do a planning meeting, but also with hands on the code for prototyping and experimenting
    • DaveD: Persistence, User-Defined Actions - Explain the plans, discuss them
    • DaveM: Need to think
    • MartinO: UI/Non-UI; New-connection-wizard: more user friendly while keeping it pluggable
    • Kevin will be dedicating some time (up to 20 hrs a week)
    • Rupen will be continuing (tentative)
  • DaveD: -
    • bug 194802 - NPE when restoring; might be gone in the meantime, analyze / reproduce? - closed WORKSFORME
      • What to do in the future? - Martin: put a note on bug 202866, in the future we should move all SystemRegistry to non-UI and ensure that whatever client gets a SystemRegistry already gets an initialized one (i.e. synchronous initialization, like Eclipse core.resources). But we can discuss this in the future.
    • bug 198395 - Connect dstore with expired password - need to look at perl APIs for pwd access - not for 2.0.1
    • bug 197036 - Avoid plugin activation, dont create all filterpools on startup - not for 2.0.1
    • bug 176577 - Moving hosts up+down - looking at for 2.0.1 today
  • DaveM: - looking at these this week
    • bug 196662 - Refresh queries on dispatch thread - initial problem fixed but not ideally; some additional changes will be needed but they need API related to bug 187739 and an exists() method in the SystemViewElementAdapter -- defer after 2.0.1
    • bug 200557 - Review dnd from Project Explorer (bug 192704 ok
    • bug 199565, bug 199566, bug 199568 - Deadlock issues due to synchronized methods calling out; will be able to fix
  • Kevin: - bug 168219 recursive delete w/read-only moved to "Future"
  • Xuan: - bug 202686 - going to disable or fix supertransfer? - Found solution for two issues, a third one (refresh) is still open due to race condition (works during debug but fails in nondebug); if unable to find the issue, will disable supertransfer in the Preferences.
    • Martin: Can use java.io.File#deleteOnExit() in order to make the temporary zip deleted on disconnect dstore;
    • Xuan: Seems to be more a view update issue than actually on the Server
  • Javier: - will look at bug 199773 FTP upload as binary
    • Found a problem with UI/Non-UI splitting, because Ascii/Binary properties are living in UI -- FTPService gets wrong isBinary tag (DaveM: DStore - RemoteFile#isBinary() seems to be OK) - Javier will further work on it
    • bug 202758 FTP hangs completely due to missing server answer for completePendingCommand() - not reproducable by Martin, but reproducable by Michael; Michael writing a Unittest
  • Martin: - bug 202630 what is the meaning of the "default private system profile"? - WR Workbench automatically fills this from a Registry. Should RSE ensure that there is always exactly one default private profile? Into what profile should connections be auto-generated... should there be a "WR Registry" profile? But then, what if users create connections themselves, would they create them into the "WR Registry" profile?
    • DaveM: Original design was that there is always exactly one "default private" profile, which is not intended to be shared;
    • DaveD: The notion of "default private" is legacy -- all profiles should be inherently shareable; default private is a persisted attribute, but probably should not be (Martin is OK with having a persisted attribute "private" - but the attribute "default" can not really be persisted because we don't know who claims to default)
    • Martin: ensureDefaultPrivate() is not consistent with getDefaultPrivate() -- if it already finds an active default private one, it should not try creating a new one;
    • Will need to think about how to address in our product
    • bug 202416 NPE when loading profile: made it more robust, but how could it come that RSE profile data is wiped with zeros? What happens when an IOException occurs while saving a profile, can it become corrupted or is there a safeguard?
    • bug 202866 Exceptions when browsing during early init - DaveM please review
  • Uwe: -
  • Rupen: -
  • Michael: - Terminal Performance branch: 300k lines/sec on Windows, 8000 lines/sec on Linux; everybody is OK with putting this into 2.0.1
  • Questions

Vacation, Away

  • DaveD vacation Spt 27 - Oct 9
  • MartinO mostly away Sep24 - Sep 28 (only doing releng stuff that week)

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD: 2.0.1 fixes, then Doc bugs (Tutorial)
  • DaveM: 2.0.1 fixes
  • Xuan: 2.0.1 fixes (Supertransfer)
  • Kevin: testing
  • Martin: Look at PropertyDescriptor issues; EFS fixes; unit tests; Migration Docs, Releng Fixes, Newsgroup
  • Javier: 2.0.1 fixes, unit tests
  • Michael: Terminal performance improvements

Next Meeting