Difference between revisions of "DSDP/MTJ/Phone Meeting 14-Nov-2007"
(→Next Steps / Action items)
|Line 23:||Line 23:|
Latest revision as of 14:18, 9 June 2009
Meeting Time/Phone number Details
|Meeting Title:||Mobile Tools for the Java Platform Conference Call|
|Date & Time:|| Wednesday November 14th, 2007 at 11am EST (Note this time has changed from original notice)
For timezone conversion, please click [HERE]
|US Toll free:||+1-877-825-8522|
|Int'l or US Toll:||+1-770-615-1247|
Kevin Horowitz (IBM), Ken Wallis (RIM), Craig Setera, Christian Kurzke (MOT), Gustavo Paula (MOT), Hugo Raniere(MOT), Doug Gaff (WRS), Arto Laurila (NOK)
- Current Status of the Project
- Committer Status and Process for new Committers (Doug)
Mika is to work with Doug on formally phasing out non-active committers. Arto, may be staying on, as much time as possible. Depending on future scope.
Doug is to figure out the voting process for new committers. Craig+Motorola
- Project history (summary, if needed more details for new attendees)
- Plan for end of 2007, Meetings, Roadmap (Gustavo, Christian)
Four tasks to do before the end of the year. Analyze MTJ and also EclipseME.
- Discuss Technical Analysis
- Analysis of EPs and Pluigns Model. More details see Wiki: DSDP/MTJ/Analysis_of_Extension_Points_and_Plugins_Model
- Maybe we can collapse some of the existing services into combined services?
How does the EMF model influence the MTJ Services and Plug-ins?: Reason for Plugin Granularity: Nokia tried to avoid collisions between vendors (contributors). Going forward this may not be as high priority?
Device fragmentation contributed a lot to the fine-grain fragmentation. We should see how we can segment this, so we can avoid the "doing all at once" problem.
About Data Models: We need to better understand the Datamodelling (Model driven development) from Nokia. Issue is the learning curve. DM used extensively for UI. e.g. when we import and SDK, we create a EMF object. Clarification from Arto: We can use exclusively EMF, without need for UML tools. The EMF model was created initially by designing UML and "compiling" it to EMF datamodel. Now Data Model is central part of MTJ.
Craig: We will need a DataModel as a core of any MTJ implementation. In EclipseME, Craig implemented his own model, incl. persistence.
- Validate proposed initial planning next steps: DSDP/MTJ/Initial_Proposed_Plan
Additional Discussion Point: (brought up be Kevin)
Framework vs. Tool This should be an ongoing task. Try to maintain a balance. Kevin: MTJ is currently "framework heavy", we need to avoid the extreme to swing back into the other extreme and avoid the other extreme to be too project focussed. Craig: We can keep both targets in mind, it will be a outcome of the function "how many people do we have" and how much resources can we spend on either product/framework.
Next Steps / Action items
- Evaluate DataModels?
- Arto: Write a "quick start guide" How To use EMF to expand/use the Datamodels in MTJ?
- Mot + others: Review existing use-cases, prioritize. Use cases will be listed in the DSDP/MTJ/User_Experience_Review
- Mot: Evaluate possible open source tools to use with EMF model
- next meeting: nov 28th. (if necessary)