DSDP/MTJ/Phone Meeting 14-Jun-2006
|Meeting Title:||Mobile Tools for the Java Platform Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday June 14, 2006 at 9am EST|
|US Toll free:||866-707-5108|
|Int'l or US Toll:||+1-517-386-9625|
- Petri Virtanen, Nokia
- Kevin Horowitz, IBM
- Rodrigo Pastrana, IBM
- Stanley Gambarin, Abogee
- Craig Setera, eclipseME
- Nathan Smith, Sprint
- Jay Endicar, Sprint
- Other unannounced callers
- Petri proposed that meeting would be changed to be on Thursday. It was approved. Petri will put new time to website and also inform community via newsgroup.
- Meeting to be on Thursdays at 9 am EDT, 1400 Finland every other week starting on July 29th.
- Nathan shortly presented Sprint as a company and explained what they are doing in developer area. They are working also in Sun WTK area but are interested about activities in eclipse. Developers are using that. They would like to get better understanding about the MTJ.
Nathan is from the Sprint Application Developer Program and is responsible for promoting wireless development on Sprint handsets. Jay manages their Java Development tools.
Many of their developers are interested in Eclipse based development tools so they are investigating what is available to provide to their users.
- Petri explained the status
- - We still have legal challenges but they are going forward. Latest estimate is that they should be solved during the June
- - Functionality starts to be complete
- - UI and bug fixing ongoing
- - Target is to put sources to open CVS and create Milestone 1 build as soon as legal issues are clear. Then Milestone 2 build on August and release on late Agust or early September
- - User and developer documentation ongoing
- - Testing ongoing
- Craig added that Sprint support is added to the latest eclipseME. And things could be transferred to the MTJ. New eclipseME at the end of this week. EclipseME will go away in the future
- It was asked if MTJ code will be open source. Kevin explained that yes it will be as soon as legal issues are solved
- Kevin explained what documentation is available in CVS and MTJ website
- There was a discussion about the decission making process in MTJ.
- There was a discussion about the future features in MTJ. We are planning to define future steps on August timeframe.
- Questions about visual designers and fragmentation. Both will be in MTJ in the future.
- Sprint is interested in device fragmentation and device optimization issues. Craig explained about the issues that he is doing with JDT side to get fixes in java compiler to enable pre-processing. He also asked all to go to bugzilla and support the proposal. We all expressed interest in fragmentation solutions going forward.
- It was asked if MTJ will be promoted after release. One option is Eclipse World. Nathan also mentioned about the Sprint event in November that could be possible.
- It was discussed that when we should start transition to eclipse 3.2, which is ultimate goal. It was commented that eclipse 3.2 starts to be in a stabil shape.
- It was asked from Petri about the Sysline. Petri said that he asked them to send email about their ideas related to the MTJ but they haven't answered yet.