Cosmos Release Plan
COSMOS 1.0 Milestone Plan
Community Systems Management Open Source (COSMOS) 1.0 Milestone Plan (Draft)
Please send comments about this plan to the firstname.lastname@example.org project management mailing list.
This document lays out the feature and API set for the COSMOS Tech Preview releases.
This plan describes the deliverables, milestones, and plan items for the four projects under COSMOS. Each plan item covers a feature or API that is to be added to COSMOS, or some aspect of COSMOS that is to be improved. Each plan item has its own entry in the COSMOS bugzilla database, with a title and a concise summary (usually a single paragraph) that explains the work item at a suitably high level so that everyone can readily understand the work item.
Fixing bugs, improving test coverage, documentation, examples, performance tuning, usability, etc. are considered routine ongoing maintenance activities and are not included in this plan unless they would also involve a significant change to the API or feature set, or involve a significant amount of work. The intent of the plan is to account for all interesting feature work.
The following release deliverables are provided:
- Component Tests
- Data Collection Implementation
- Data Visualization Implementation
- Resource Modeling Implementation
This COSMOS 1.0 is targeted for general availability on 27-June-2008. All deliverables will be available for download as soon as the release has been tested and validated in the target configurations. There is an allocation of resource to defect removal in all iterations. The first Iterations 1-10 will contain the bulk of the enhancement work, while Iteration 11 will mainly be used to stabilize and shut down the release.
Each project leader will send a notification to the project leadership team upon completion of iteration testing. Once all projects have indicated that they have finished iteration testing, a candidate build will be flagged and the teams can begin checking in code for the next iteration.
|Milestone||Duration||Planned Start Date||Planned End Date||Actual Start Date||Actual End Date||Description||Comments|
|Iteration 1||8 weeks||Tues 01/02/2007||Fri 02/23/2007||Tues 01/02/2007||Fri 02/23/2007||Demo development|
|Iteration 2||6 weeks||Mon 02/26/2007||Fri 04/06/2007||Mon 02/26/2007||Fri 04/06/2007|
|i2 Development||5 weeks||Mon 02/26/2007||Fri 03/30/2007||Mon 02/26/2007||Fri 03/30/2007||Development & Bug Fixes|
|i2 Testing||1 week||Mon 04/02/2007||Fri 04/06/2007||Mon 04/02/2007||Fri 04/06/2007||Validation Testing|
|Iteration 3||6 weeks||Mon 04/09/2007||Fri 05/18/2007||Mon 04/09/2007||Fri 05/18/2007|
|i3 Development||5 weeks||Mon 04/09/2007||Fri 05/11/2007||Mon 04/09/2007||Fri 05/11/2007||Development & Bug Fixes|
|i3 Testing||1 week||Mon 05/14/2007||Fri 05/18/2007||Mon 05/14/2007||Fri 05/18/2007||Validation Testing|
|Iteration 4||6 weeks||Mon 05/21/2007||Fri 06/29/2007||Mon 05/21/2007||Fri 06/29/2007||Shut down and Testing|
|i4 Development||4 weeks||Mon 05/21/2007||Fri 06/15/2007||Mon 05/21/2007||Fri 06/15/2007||Bug Fixes|
|i4 Testing||2 weeks||Mon 06/18/2007||Fri 06/29/2007||Mon 06/18/2007||Fri 06/29/2007||Validation Testing|
|**Milestone 1**||1 day||Fri 06/29/2007||Fri 06/29/2007||Fri 06/29/2007||Fri 06/29/2007||Available for POCs|
|Iteration 5||6 weeks||Mon 07/02/2007||Fri 08/10/2007||Mon 07/02/2007||Fri 08/17/2007|
|i5 Development||5 weeks||Mon 07/02/2007||Fri 08/03/2007||Mon 07/02/2007||Fri 08/10/2007||Development & Bug Fixes|
|i5 Testing||1 week||Mon 08/06/2007||Fri 08/10/2007||Mon 08/13/2007||Fri 08/17/2007||Validation Testing & Documentation|
|Iteration 6||6 weeks||Mon 08/13/2007||Fri 09/28/2007||Mon 08/20/2007||Fri 10/02/2007||Extended test pass by 1 week|
|i6 Development||5 weeks||Mon 08/13/2007||Fri 09/14/2007||Mon 08/20/2007||Fri 09/14/2007||Development & Bug Fixes|
|i6 Testing||1 week||Mon 09/17/2007||Fri 09/28/2007||Mon 09/17/2007||Fri 10/02/2007||Validation Testing & Documentation||Extended test pass by 1 week|
|Iteration 7||7.5 weeks||Mon 10/03/2007||Fri 11/23/2007||Mon 10/03/2007||Mon 11/26/2007|
|i7 Development||5.5 weeks||Mon 10/03/2007||Fri 11/09/2007||Mon 10/03/2007||Fri 11/09/2007||Development & Bug Fixes|
|**High-level designs for i8 Complete**||1 day||Mon 11/12/2007||Mon 11/12/2007||Mon 11/12/2007||Mon 11/12/2007||High-level designs and sizings|
|i7 Testing||2 weeks||Mon 11/12/2007||Fri 11/23/2007||Mon 11/12/2007||Mon 11/26/2007||Validation Testing & Documentation|
|Iteration 8||9 weeks||Mon 11/26/2007||Fri 01/25/2008||Mon 11/26/2007|
|i8 Development||6 weeks||Mon 11/26/2007||Fri 01/11/2008||Mon 11/26/2007||Development & Bug Fixes|
|**High-level designs for i9 Complete**||1 day||Wed 01/16/2008||Wed 01/16/2008||High-level designs and sizings|
|i8 Testing||2 weeks||Mon 01/14/2008||Fri 01/25/2008||Validation Testing & Documentation|
|Iteration 9||6 weeks||Mon 01/28/2008||Fri 03/07/2008|
|i9 Development||4 weeks||Mon 01/28/2008||Fri 02/22/2008||Development & Bug Fixes|
|**High-level designs for i10 Complete**||1 day||Fri 02/22/2008||Fri 02/22/2008||High-level designs and sizings|
|i9 Testing||2 weeks||Mon 02/25/2008||Fri 03/07/2008||Validation Testing & Documentation|
|**Milestone 2**||1 day||Fri 03/07/2008||Fri 03/07/2008||Available for POCs|
|Iteration 10||8 weeks||Mon 03/10/2008||Fri 05/02/2008|
|i10 Development||6 weeks||Mon 03/10/2008||Fri 04/18/2008||Development & Bug Fixes|
|**High-level designs for i11 Complete**||1 day||Fri 04/18/2008||Fri 04/18/2008||High-level designs and sizings|
|i10 Testing||2 weeks||Mon 04/21/2008||Fri 05/02/2008||Validation Testing & Documentation|
|Iteration 11||8 weeks||Mon 05/05/2008||Fri 06/27/2008|
|i11 Development||5 weeks||Mon 05/05/2008||Fri 06/06/2008||Development & Bug Fixes|
|i11 Testing||3 weeks||Mon 06/09/2008||Fri 06/27/2008||Final Validation Testing, Documentation & Shutdown|
|COSMOS 1.0 Availability||1 day||Fri 06/27/2008||Fri 06/27/2008||GA Release|
The COSMOS project adopted the following theme which represents the key focus area for COSMOS enhancements in the year ahead.
- Provide an open platform that is standards-based for extensibility and openness
- Provide exemplary tools for monitoring and management of popular open distributed platforms
- Establish base framework:
- Data collection normalization and persistence framework
- Validation/Editing/Viewing framework based on SML
The COSMOS project is comprised of four projects, managed in a coordinated fashion, across which the plan items are allocated. COSMOS projects include:
- Data Collection Project - The COSMOS Data Collection framework aims to provide value by building a standard based integration framework that can incrementally replace the existing ad hoc integrations between agent infrastructures and the management applications that utilize them. The initial focus of the data collection component is the delivery of a framework that provides a well-defined set of service interface types that facilitate the discovery and control of monitoring agents as well as related data services such as collection, transformation, filtering, persistence, and query. These services may be discovered, explored, and controlled through Web Services Distributed Management (WSDM) standard interfaces. They will describe themselves by exposing Service Modeling Language Interchange Format (SML-IF) models using WS-metadata exchange.
- Data Visualization Project (Design Document)- The COSMOS Data Visualization framework aims to provide value by building a standards based integration infrastructure that provides access to two dimensions of the COSMOS management architecture, COSMOS Data Collection and COSMOS Resource Modeling. COSMOS Data Visualization provides a well-defined set of service interface types that facilitate the exploration of the COSMOS Resource Modeling's repository of models and the retrieval of the COSMOS Data Collection's repository of state, event, and performance information. The model repository is semantically linked to the information in the monitor data repository. This relationship, which is managed in Service Modeling Language (SML) through the Resource Modeling component, is used to connect the exploration of the model with data that has been collected.
- Resource Modeling Project - The COSMOS Resource Modeling sub-project aims to provide support for building a common model to represent the information being shared in a system management scenario. The project is proposing to use Service Modeling Language (SML) as the XML schema language to define this common model. The SML-IF interchange format will be used to share model components between the tools involved in a system management activity.
- Management Enablement - To be implemented in a future release
Designs for these projects will be checked in to the COSMOS bugzilla database so that developers can reference them as they create designs for specific plan items.
Plan items targeted for this release represent the addition of new features or areas where existing features will be significantly reworked or enhanced. Plan items are allocated to the projects indicated above.
COSMOS Data Collection Project Plan Items
|In Plan||i2||Define and build the COSMOS data collection framework. This includes: definition and implementation of the component assembly framework SPI, implementation of binding and component context loading services for an Equinox OSGi host, definition of component APIs supporting all currently defined component types (data source, data sink, filter, transformer), base classes for all currently defined component types, component assembly schema, automated build process for the data collection component, user documentation for adopters of the framework, and automated unit test cases. The following enhancements are being used to track this work: (174347) (177821) (180318) .|
COSMOS Data Visualization Project Plan Items
COSMOS Resource Modeling Project Plan Items
|In Plan||i3||SML validator should accept input other than File resources. (181594)|